Looking For The (Mythical?) "Perfect Phone"...

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I deferred on buying a GS3 because of two reasons -- the horribly dim screen even at maximum brightness and the cheap, toy plastic feel and look of the phone. Sadly, with the introduction of the GS4 they have done absolutely nothing to rectify either issue. You couldn't tell the GS3 apart from the GS4 without a guide book and the screen of the GS4 remains a huge disappointment from a brightness POV (see here:4 reasons not to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S 4 - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com) . These are dealbreaker issues for me. Another must-have is a phone with a clear speaker (or speakers). The speaker has to face forward or at least (as in the iphones) put them at the edges so they will be audible with the phone laying down on a table. Pretty much every other smartphone places their speakers at the (none-too-smart) rear of the phone. Another deal breaker for me.

Battery life that can get you through at least 10 hours of moderate use without a hiccup is another must. Now I'm not talking Razr Max territory (although that might be nice), just a full day out and about away from a charging source. Storage of 16 gigs is fine for me. I never understood people who believe they need 32, 64 or more. Who the hell stores 5 full length movies on their phone anyway without deleting them? Removable battery? No big deal as long as the one that comes with the phone does its job. Software gimmicks? I am pretty certain that most people go "gee whiz, holy cow" one time....show their friends and family and never use 99% of them again. Just give me an OS that takes care of the major functions smoothly and without drama and I'm good.

Screen size. I'm thinking 5.0" is the sweet spot. The Galaxy Nexus at 4.65" now looks way too small while the 5.4" Note II still is a bit large. I'd be all over the HTC One but for the 4.8" screen. I'm afraid it just may not be big enough. The GS4 is a total non-starter so I guess I'm left to hope for the (maybe) mythical "perfect phone" with the Motorola X Phone. Here's hoping for a phone that checks all the "must have" boxes.

Last edited:

nedywest71

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Let`s not forget the Cam!
I really would like to have a better cam. and supporting software.Does not need to be too tech but simple SUPER AUTO (similar to Sony).A real Point And Shoot = fast + stabilization!
I personally would trade 360 or panorama, etc. options for single fast shoot Super Auto mode. Definitely must be executed by A DEDICATED HARD BUTTON .
I still use from time to time my old MOTO RIZR Z10 for taking pictures and I really enjoy the dedicated cam button and the speed + quality of the pictures.Lets alone it has a burst mode for up to 10 pictures and my present DEFY lacks.
I very much liked the new RAZRs (and still proudly keep my first RAZR (flip one :)) BUT this lack of descent cam had kept me off ever since.And I am able to hold needs of new phone, and use my DEFY for over 2 Years, ONLY BECAUSE of REMOVABLE Battery. As if it was non removable I would not have other option but to upgrade ones battery start to die.

I am MOTOROLA fan.Most of my previous have been Moto phones as well as my present DEFY and I have been happy with them, however I think there is plenty of room for improvement and I really finger X for NEXT (nXt) MOTO X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair