Processor V. RAM?

Processor V. RAM?

• Total voters

Joshuaknowsbest

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to decide which one is more important in a new android phone. I'm leaning towards RAM. With the reports that the Moto X will be available in the build-your-own style, it has me thinking which feature is more important (and worth paying extra for). Since the S4 dual core chip, it seems like that and every processor after it can handle everything and WAY more than anything android/apps can throw at it. So I feel like processor isn't that important anymore as we will not see any difference regardless in real world performance. With RAM, I feel like this is more helpful as anything less than 2GB of it *could* cause lag.
What do ya'll think? Is the latest and greatest processor or an abundance of RAM more important? And why?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The amount of RAM won't cause lag. It will just allow fewer apps to be stored in memory.

What seems to be more important than anything is storage speed. In other words, the NAND. Just like with PC's, we're getting to the point where we need to have faster storage to keep up with the rest of the device. We're starting to see it with the Phoenix device from nVidia (45mb/s NAND from Sandisk) and hopefully other manufacturers take note and follow the lead.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well doesn't everything go to the RAM as it waits to get stored? Therefore more RAM should be equal to more storage speed, right?

No. The NAND has a cache that stores things waiting to get written. Once that cache gets filled things slow down considerably. The only way to fix slow storage is with faster storage. :)

I see it on my Transformer Prime when doing simple things like updating apps. When downloading the APK from the Play Store swiping through home screens, the app drawer, or opening another app it's extremely laggy. So much so that while it's updating stuff I don't use it. I just let it finish updating.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
For Android devices? Neither is very important. Look for a device with one partition, or with a very large cache partition. The Nexus One runs Jelly Bean fairly well if you're willing to muck with things and get it to fit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney