Advice on a small but up-to-date phone

frotings

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
My wife has an HTC Wildfire S and I'm looking to get her a replacement sometime soon, as it has a tiny amount of room for apps and she's constantly getting low space warnings, which is a hassle.

The thing is, I want to get her a new phone that's as up-to-date as possible, but not BIG. I have a Nexus 4 and she says that's way too big for her. Previously I had an old HTC Desire (Bravo) and that's about the biggest she would want, but I wore out the physical buttons on it so it's no good for anything except an alarm clock these days.

Looking around, I'm finding it hard to find something that's the right physical size, but which doesn't suck as much as the Wildfire S in terms of having an old OS, or tiny storage, or both.

So....anybody able to give me some tips on phones that sit nicely in relatively small hands, but have an OS of at least ICS or preferably Jelly Bean, and have a decent amount of storage for apps?

thanks!

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
anything bigger then a wildfire will seem huge to her,

however most of the smaller phones are low end and will have some sort of data storage issues, slower processors.

have her try an s3 they are bigger yes but thinner then most .

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Try any variants of the Samsung Galaxy S III mini or the RAZR i/DROID RAZR M.

(What carrier?)

frotings

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Damn, sorry, I meant to mention where we are.

We're in the UK, and her existing phone, the Wildfire S, was bought SIM free. It's got a 3 (3 Official Site - Mobile Phones, Mobile Broadband & 3G from Three) SIM in it using PAYG. I'd like to keep the new phone SIM free too, although that could mean buying an unlocked PAYG phone and throwing away the SIM from another network.

I was looking at the S3 mini already and that's an option. The one thing I don't like about it is the fact it has a physical home button (WHY are Samsung keeping that on the S4?!?). Having gone myself from a phone with physical buttons to soft buttons, I would certainly not want to go back. The Wildfire S has soft buttons, so would prefer the new phone also to have soft buttons.

Thanks again.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure which of these phones are compatible with your network, but some good options are the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini (or upcoming S4 Mini), Motorola Droid Razr M, and HTC One S. Maybe even the Nexus S :D

Unfortunately, it's still hard to avoid physical buttons without going to a newer Nexus phone.

bunky1971

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Im prolly going to get whipped, but how about the HTC Amaze or Sensation. They're just a bit bigger than the wildfire and have a vast number of great ROMs available...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Im prolly going to get whipped, but how about the HTC Amaze or Sensation. They're just a bit bigger than the wildfire and have a vast number of great ROMs available...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

*whips*

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

frotings

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Because the iPhone has it.
Probably true. That's dumb.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Not decided yet, but I'm looking at the Droid Razr i as an option. It seems to be around the right size, pretty fast, enough storage for apps, and recently got Jelly Bean. Need to check it's compatible with 3 in the UK, but as far as I know, any phone that works in the UK should work on all networks.

Thanks again. Any more tips welcome if you have them.

frotings

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. Just wanted to say thanks again for the tips. I got a Motorola Razr i. It seems to be pretty much perfect so far. The screen is much bigger than the Wildfire S but mainly in height. The width is narrow. The difference between the old phone is massive, obviously. Much faster, tons more space. She's happy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish