Can some help alleviate some anxiety I have with my phone.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a nexus 4 and like it quite a lot.

However I do have some anxieties about my phone and android in general and I'd love to get the advice of well informed people to help me alleviate them.

1. I received a text message from a number I didn't have in my contacts that had a link attached to it.

Now, I usually don't click those, but I thought maybe the number was someone I kne, but didn't have them in my contacts, so I click on the link, and nothing showed up.

Now i am freaking out thinking my phone now has malware or a virus. What are the chances of this.

2. Can I get malware or viruses from apps on the play store?

3. How much do I really need to baby the phone as far as monitoring apps and battery goes.

4. It could be that I just type too fast, but it seems like my keyboard misses key presses quite a bit. Is this normal if I type fast?

5. If there was some kind of issue with my phone, whether it be a virus, software issue, or internal issue, I'd know it right?

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes on all. The likelihood you get a virus or malware from the store is very slim. Google now does a good job of scanning playsore software. You can get a virus from side loading apps since they are not scanned.

There was a security issues a few months back that exploited a security hole on Samsung's flagship devices if you clicked on a link on an sms it would access kernel space and could lead to vulnerabilities, but no issues was recorded. Samsung released a patch right away.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes on all. The likelihood you get a virus or malware from the store is very slim. Google now does a good job of scanning playsore software. You can get a virus from side loading apps since they are not scanned.

There was a security issues a few months back that exploited a security hole on Samsung's flagship devices if you clicked on a link on an sms it would access kernel space and could lead to vulnerabilities, but no issues was recorded. Samsung released a patch right away.

But I can't get anything that will effect responsiveness/performance from a sms link?

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
The likelihood is low however possible. You should be fine. I was freaked out about male are when I first joined the android army, but it's not as bad as you think.

Sent from my HTC Rhyme

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 4 and like it quite a lot.

However I do have some anxieties about my phone and android in general and I'd love to get the advice of well informed people to help me alleviate them.

1. I received a text message from a number I didn't have in my contacts that had a link attached to it.

Now, I usually don't click those, but I thought maybe the number was someone I kne, but didn't have them in my contacts, so I click on the link, and nothing showed up.

Now i am freaking out thinking my phone now has malware or a virus. What are the chances of this.

2. Can I get malware or viruses from apps on the play store?

3. How much do I really need to baby the phone as far as monitoring apps and battery goes.

4. It could be that I just type too fast, but it seems like my keyboard misses key presses quite a bit. Is this normal if I type fast?

5. If there was some kind of issue with my phone, whether it be a virus, software issue, or internal issue, I'd know it right?

Yes all are possible, but the chances are rather low. I would suggest getting a virus protection app. Keep it up to date, and everything should be fine.

Your lag with button pushes, sometimes it can be from typing too fast, maybe the phone was processing something at the same time, if the phone is new (or recently reset), it is still learning your typing patterns.

Monitoring apps shouldn't be needed. Most are pretty light when it comes to battery usage. It is the user that typically drains the battery.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes a virus can do that and more it depends on the virus.

However my experience is that lag on Android something one it's one installs.

For instance I really like the pluse app but it causes such a lag on my device and a battery drain, I'd rather do without it.

The more background processes you have running the worse your performance will be.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes a virus can do that and more it depends on the virus.

However my experience is that lag on Android something one it's one installs.

For instance I really like the pluse app but it causes such a lag on my device and a battery drain, I'd rather do without it.

The more background processes you have running the worse your performance will be.

How do I check background processes?

Also, should I do a factory restore just to be safe?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How do I check background processes?

Also, should I do a factory restore just to be safe?

If You have a nexus 4 you shouldn't need to worry about any apps running in the background unless they are apps that do syncing like email apps or widgets that are updating constantly. Also many people needlessly run task killers which usually cause more problems than they fix.

If you are having trouble typing try out different keyboards from the market. Or learn to use swype or swiftkey flow.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Alex trebek

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
If You have a nexus 4 you shouldn't need to worry about any apps running in the background unless they are apps that do syncing like email apps or widgets that are updating constantly. Also many people needlessly run task killers which usually cause more problems than they fix.

If you are having trouble typing try out different keyboards from the market. Or learn to use swype or swiftkey flow.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

I have nothing to say but positive things about SwiftKey. I leven when I type with it(instead of swipe) it is convenient and the predictions are scary.

Sent from my HTC Rhyme