Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Suda
  • 1 Post By Ry
  • 1 Post By Ry
  • 4 Post By DroidXcon
  • 1 Post By TheLegoman
  • 1 Post By return_0
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One will fail

I LOVE the design but really feel it will be a rather large failure, I hope I'm wrong, because of the battery. The Nexus 5 is rumored to be 3100+ which is finally a step in the right direction. My EVO 4g LTE is almost too thin as it is I really wish HTC would have stepped it up.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Default Re: HTC One will fail

Frankly speaking, I would LOVE seeing Google go back to HTC for the Nexus line.

Depends on what your expectations are on how much a phone needs to sale in order to be successful. Reading the reviews and comments around the net, it looks like it looks like it'll do well enough to let HTC live another day. You can't find one Galaxy S4/Xperia Z article, video, review without the One being brought up and brought up rather favorably. People love the aluminium body instead of the usual plastic, and the 4.7" screen will draw those in that don't like the idea of carrying around 5" of phone. There is certainly buzz surrounding the phone, I think a lot of that buzz will turn into profit. One thing I will say though is the delay will hurt HTC, potentially to what it could've earned had it come out weeks in advance to the S4.

It won't come close to the numbers of Apple or the S4, but it'll sell well. It would sell very well if HTC had the budget of Samsung or Apple.
    Ry likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,781 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toiletducky View Post
    I LOVE the design but really feel it will be a rather large failure, I hope I'm wrong, because of the battery. The Nexus 5 is rumored to be 3100+ which is finally a step in the right direction. My EVO 4g LTE is almost too thin as it is I really wish HTC would have stepped it up.

lol
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Rizz1-2 likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,781 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anjali_jain View Post
    Not like that would make "small/non-removable battery", "no SD card" complaints go away.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by toiletducky View Post

It will def be one of the best ,if not the best devices on the market. There is no fail here . Move along

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

I doubt it will be a failure.

Won't be the best phone but not a bad phone in the slightest bit

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

I'm afraid to say but THE ONLY reason phones fail or succeed is because of marketing. The HTC ONE would sale roughly the same amount as the S4 will sell if it slapped Samsung on its body instead of HTC and received the Samsung advertising experience. The small minor difference will come from people who care about removable battery and people who care about how well the phone is built. I don't want to hear anymore people saying "phone x is going to fail because its missing feature x"... unless that feature x is Samsung advertising.
    Banned

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

The ONE is an awesome phone! I'm getting it and could care less if anyone else does!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

Quote Originally Posted by fchowd0311 View Post
    I'm afraid to say but THE ONLY reason phones fail or succeed is because of marketing. The HTC ONE would sale roughly the same amount as the S4 will sell if it slapped Samsung on its body instead of HTC and received the Samsung advertising experience. The small minor difference will come from people who care about removable battery and people who care about how well the phone is built. I don't want to hear anymore people saying "phone x is going to fail because its missing feature x"... unless that feature x is Samsung advertising.
    HTC has much better build materials but samsung has better build quality.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post

Explain please...

Because I think a blanket statement like that isn't entirely accurate. I think that can be argued over a phone to phone basis but not company to company.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

This statement is not correct. You cannot compare company to company, you must compare phone to phone. However, you probably have not handled either phone, so even if you were to compare them phone to phone, your statement would still have been not quite right.

These phones are not even out yet. Unless we have actually handled these phones, what we say relating to build quality and so on is merely speculation. I hope someone who has actually handled both phones will be able to chime in about this topic.
    Russ Smith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by anjali_jain View Post
    This... I was thinking the same thing.

No

The HTC One will not fail. It may not succeed quite to the degree that HTC would like it to in their hopes and dreams, but we simply can't know that until a month or two after it launches.

As far as the build quality debate, while it's not appropriate to simply state one company's quality is 'just better' than another's, I will say that in the past year and a half my opinions of HTC's ceramic and polycarbonate bodies have been much more favorable than of Samsung's smooth or textured plastic construction. I say this from experience — having used most relevant devices myself for more than a brief period of time — and not from improper judgments.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I'm on the HTC EVO 4G LTE and love it. I really wanted the ONE until I started reading about other hardware coming out. The issues with HTC in the past have been poor bloated software and lack of updates. If HTC wants to survive they need to quit dropping support so quickly on their phones. People like Iphones because you can still use them years later.

The ONE, imho, will not live to the hype. I'm not talking performance or quality, but marketing and sales. I want HTC to hit a homerun so they continue to make great products but I don't think this will bail them out. I don't really care about the S4 but if the rumored specs of the Nexus 5 are true then there is no reason for people to jump to HTC. Time will tell but given the lack of marketing, production delays, and other hardware hitting the streets the ONE will not be enough. Doesn't me I won't be getting one but lets face it. most people don't know anything and will buy what's marketed the best. HTC has failed in that department.

Something I forgot to check (forgive me if it had been mentioned): is the bootloader locked?

The One will definitely not fail, it's HTC's best device ever. They just need to get it together with their marketing and it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegoman View Post
    This statement is not correct. You cannot compare company to company, you must compare phone to phone. However, you probably have not handled either phone, so even if you were to compare them phone to phone, your statement would still have been not quite right.

These phones are not even out yet. Unless we have actually handled these phones, what we say relating to build quality and so on is merely speculation. I hope someone who has actually handled both phones will be able to chime in about this topic.
    Well I've got an HTC One and held a gs3 lol.

My opinion - I think a plastic (note I didn't say cheap, but bound to be more flexible.) removable back is going to make a phone less 'solid' but if a customer wants the sd card and removable battery then that's the trade off. Choose the features you want, then buy your phone....

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Back to ops topic -

One vs GS4 poll

The only 3 polls in 1st page Google search. All with HTC One proving most popular.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Smith View Post
    Back to ops topic -

One vs GS4 poll

The only 3 polls in 1st page Google search. All with HTC One proving most popular.

It could be most popluar on all the tech blogs, still doesnt = general consumer
    Also these numbers could change when phones are readily available for people to compare , as of now people are just voting from other peoples opinions.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

True enough the one isn't coming to Verizon (dumb decision on HTC's part) but no one is even coming to my job asking for it. Asked the guy at t mobile he says he expects it to sell well but no one has asked about it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

True enough the one isn't coming to Verizon (dumb decision on HTC's part) but no one is even coming to my job asking for it. Asked the guy at t mobile he says he expects it to sell well but no one has asked about it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't think that was HTC's decision. Probably Verizon's decision; they most likely wanted to hold off for a few weeks then release a newer phone to give them an advantage over the other carriers. Pretty much what they did with the older One phones, holding off then releasing the DNA.
    Ry likes this.