I'm switching over from BlackBerry to Android next month and the only reason I'm doing so only for the sake of gaming. I can't afford phones like the Note 2 or HTC One or the Galaxy S4. But I can get the HTC One X (maybe the One X +), the Nexus 4, and the LG Optimus G. Which one is best for high end gaming? I want to be able to run absolutely ANY game that's available on Google Play right now and atleast a year to come.
    Gaming is all I need from my Android to come. I really don't care about the camera at all. Besides gaming I want a decent display around 4.2-4.7 inches. Not bigger than that. I also like watching movies on my phone sometimes, along with a bit of internet browsing; but the specs don't really play a huge role in that, right?
    Anyway, so which one should I get?
    Thanks in advance!
    03-27-2013 11:16 AM
    Out of all of those devices, I would choose the Nexus 4, and I did.

Why? Stock Android experience. No bloatware and other such stuff that slows down the device. Updates straight from Google.

Here are the tech specs: Nexus 4 Tech Specs - Google
    03-27-2013 11:32 AM
    Out of all of those devices, I would choose the Nexus 4, and I did.

Why? Stock Android experience. No bloatware and other such stuff that slows down the device. Updates straight from Google.

Here are the tech specs: Nexus 4 Tech Specs - Google
    Thanks a lot for the info, but like I said I'm not actually looking for the "Android Experience". All I'm looking for is a great gaming and internet browsing experience. Yes I agree that the Nexus 4 is a superb user experience but I'm looking for hard core gaming here, not much else. I personally think that the Optimus G and One X would be better than the Nexus 4 for gaming but I'm not sure which one of the three is best for gaming. That's what I want to know.
    Thanks!
    03-27-2013 11:42 AM
    Thanks a lot for the info, but like I said I'm not actually looking for the "Android Experience". All I'm looking for is a great gaming and internet browsing experience. Yes I agree that the Nexus 4 is a superb user experience but I'm looking for hard core gaming here, not much else. I personally think that the Optimus G and One X would be better than the Nexus 4 for gaming but I'm not sure which one of the three is best for gaming. That's what I want to know.
    Thanks!
    Actually, the Nexus 4 is great at gaming, possibly better than the other two. I play Real Racing 3 on it, and there is extremely little to no lag. You do know that the Optimus G and the Nexus 4 are virtually the same phones, right?

Here is a comparison of the Optimus G Vs. the Nexus 4: LG Optimus G vs LG Nexus 4

Nexus 4 Vs. One X: LG Nexus 4 vs HTC One X

Out of all the devices you are looking at, I would rank them as Nexus 4 on the top, Optimus G second, and One X at the bottom. Just tell me if you have anymore questions. I will be happy to be able to help you answer them.
    03-27-2013 01:13 PM
    I'm switching over from BlackBerry to Android next month and the only reason I'm doing so only for the sake of gaming. I can't afford phones like the Note 2 or HTC One or the Galaxy S4. But I can get the HTC One X (maybe the One X +), the Nexus 4, and the LG Optimus G. Which one is best for high end gaming? I want to be able to run absolutely ANY game that's available on Google Play right now and atleast a year to come.
    Gaming is all I need from my Android to come. I really don't care about the camera at all. Besides gaming I want a decent display around 4.2-4.7 inches. Not bigger than that. I also like watching movies on my phone sometimes, along with a bit of internet browsing; but the specs don't really play a huge role in that, right?
    Anyway, so which one should I get?
    Thanks in advance!
    The One X is a much older phone, so you'll definitely find a better gaming experience in the Optimus G and Nexus 4. As TheLegoman said, the OG and the N4 are essentially the same phones hardware-wise, so the only difference is the software. In that the Nexus 4 blows away the Optimus G. The software may actually affect performance in this case. If you're in the US, I assume you're using AT&T, since it's the only US carrier supporting all three devices. The AT&T OG is running Android 4.0, while the N4 has 4.2, which includes Project Butter (which really smoothens the OS experience). So no matter how you look at it, I would definitely recommend the Nexus 4.
    TheLegoman and Downtown Taco like this.
    03-27-2013 08:21 PM
    Actually, the Nexus 4 is great at gaming, possibly better than the other two. I play Real Racing 3 on it, and there is extremely little to no lag. You do know that the Optimus G and the Nexus 4 are virtually the same phones, right?

Here is a comparison of the Optimus G Vs. the Nexus 4: LG Optimus G vs LG Nexus 4

Nexus 4 Vs. One X: LG Nexus 4 vs HTC One X

Out of all the devices you are looking at, I would rank them as Nexus 4 on the top, Optimus G second, and One X at the bottom. Just tell me if you have anymore questions. I will be happy to be able to help you answer them.
    Oh Thanks. Okay so from what Thelegoman and return_0 said I understand that the Nexus 4 and Optimus G are basically the same phones from the inside, apart from the software. I'm no longer considering the One X thanks to your advice. But what about the One X+ ? That's much newer, right?
    Anyway, back on topic: Since the Nexus 4 and the Optimus G are very similar the main difference would be the software. Like return_0 said, the Nexus 4 has Android 4.2 which has Project Butter which makes things super smooth. But is Project Butter just for the Operating System&User Interface or does it smoothen out third party apps too?
    Okay so I get it, the main advantage the Nexus 4 has over the Optimus G is software wise.
    But on the other hand, I believe that the Optimus G has a micro SD slot while the Nexus 4 doesn't. That's a major advantage for me because these high end games often have a file size more than 1 GB and a micro SD card can earn be 32-64GB extra. Besides that, the Optimus G looks way cooler than the Nexus 4.
    As return_0 mentioned that the Nexus 4's software makes it faster, won't At&t update their Optimus G to Android 4.2 eventually. I think they already have the 4.1 update. Theoretically after update the Optimus G would be just as smooth as the Nexus 4 software-wise.
    Like I said earlier, I'm ONLY looking for gaming and internet browsing here. Nothing else. Also I think the Optimus G supports Adobe Flash in its browser but the Nexus 4 doesn't. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

So I'm kind of stuck here between the Optimus G and the Nexus 4. I would have went with the Nexus 4 but I'm not sure because all I'm interested in is gaming and internet. The overall Android OS experience won't matter too much to me. And the micro SD card slot in the Optimus G is a huge advantage in my humble opinion.
    Any more advice?
    Thanks a lot! I really appreciate all of your efforts.
    03-28-2013 12:40 AM
    Thanks!
    All of those phones will give you roughly the same experience. There isn't much difference between them; big screen, quad core processor, good graphics. The Nexus 4 and LG Optimus G are pretty much the same phone as well. I would look at the HTC One over the HTC One X or One X+.
    03-28-2013 08:50 AM
    Oh Thanks. Okay so from what Thelegoman and return_0 said I understand that the Nexus 4 and Optimus G are basically the same phones from the inside, apart from the software. I'm no longer considering the One X thanks to your advice. But what about the One X+ ? That's much newer, right?
    The One X+ is newer than the One X, but the processor is a Tegra 3. Tegra processors have been know to be good for gaming, but the Snapdragon S4 Pro found in the Nexus 4 and the Optimus G has been found to be faster, even in gaming.

Anyway, back on topic: Since the Nexus 4 and the Optimus G are very similar the main difference would be the software. Like return_0 said, the Nexus 4 has Android 4.2 which has Project Butter which makes things super smooth. But is Project Butter just for the Operating System&User Interface or does it smoothen out third party apps too?
    It mostly affects the OS interface itself, but based on what I've read, I think it might affect graphics on third-party apps, too. I can't confirm this from my own experience, as my first Android device was the N7, which came preinstalled with 4.1. Could someone else clarify this?

Okay so I get it, the main advantage the Nexus 4 has over the Optimus G is software wise.
    But on the other hand, I believe that the Optimus G has a micro SD slot while the Nexus 4 doesn't. That's a major advantage for me because these high end games often have a file size more than 1 GB and a micro SD card can earn be 32-64GB extra.
    That is true. The AT&T Optimus G does have the advantage of a micro SD card slot. Of course, you could use USB OTG with the N4, but that's a somewhat complicated process you might not want to go into.

Besides that, the Optimus G looks way cooler than the Nexus 4.
    IMO the N4 looks nicer, but obviously you're the one buying it, so for you that would be another advantage for the G.

As return_0 mentioned that the Nexus 4's software makes it faster, won't At&t update their Optimus G to Android 4.2 eventually. I think they already have the 4.1 update. Theoretically after update the Optimus G would be just as smooth as the Nexus 4 software-wise.
    According to AT&T's website, the Optimus G still has 4.0. It is unknown whether or not it will be updated to 4.1, as both LG and US carriers are known to delay updates for a long time.

Like I said earlier, I'm ONLY looking for gaming and internet browsing here. Nothing else. Also I think the Optimus G supports Adobe Flash in its browser but the Nexus 4 doesn't. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
    The G does support Flash, but that's because of 4.0. If or when the G will get updated to 4.1, it will no longer support Flash because Adobe does not support Android 4.1 or newer versions.

So I'm kind of stuck here between the Optimus G and the Nexus 4. I would have went with the Nexus 4 but I'm not sure because all I'm interested in is gaming and internet. The overall Android OS experience won't matter too much to me. And the micro SD card slot in the Optimus G is a huge advantage in my humble opinion.
    Any more advice?
    Thanks a lot! I really appreciate all of your efforts.
    I would recommend just doing more research on the two devices, reading reviews, and further monitoring this thread. Good luck!
    Downtown Taco and outlooker like this.
    03-28-2013 11:12 AM
    Okay so I'm pretty sure I wanna get the Nexus 4. But one more question, how much memory does it have? 16Gb or 32Gb? That's really important since it doesn't have a micro SD slot.
    Also, oh my god I can't find the Nexus 4 on At&t's website anymore! They still have the Optimus G but the Nexus isn't there. Check it out Phones, Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Devices from AT&T
    03-29-2013 12:43 AM
    Okay so I'm pretty sure I wanna get the Nexus 4. But one more question, how much memory does it have? 16Gb or 32Gb? That's really important since it doesn't have a micro SD slot.
    Also, oh my god I can't find the Nexus 4 on At&t's website anymore! They still have the Optimus G but the Nexus isn't there. Check it out Phones, Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Devices from AT&T
    The Nexus 4 is not sold by AT&T. You can get it direct from Google through Google Play. It comes with 8 or 16GB of storage memory.
    outlooker likes this.
    03-29-2013 07:43 AM
    Okay thanks everyone! I'm gonna get the At&t Optimus G or the T-mobile Nexus 4.
    03-29-2013 09:16 AM
    Sounds good=)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    03-29-2013 09:26 AM
    You can buy it unlocked on Google play for $299 (8GB) or $349 (16GB), or you can buy it $49 (16GB) on T-Mobile, after which you can use it on no-contract plans but you would have to pay it off for $17/month.
    03-29-2013 09:38 AM
    Just buy the 16GB Nexus 4 unlocked for $350 from the Google Play store. After that, just get a plan from whatever GSM carrier you would like to use.
    03-29-2013 10:45 AM
    Nexus 4 has 2GB ram with 4.2 JB
    Also G and One X except they have 4.1.2 i think nexus will do the gaming experience you want
    05-29-2013 11:56 PM
    One X if its visuals your looking for. Up until the latest round of superphones considered the best screen of them all.
    05-31-2013 12:51 AM