What's the file size of high end Android games?

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm switching over from BlackBerry to Android next week and I'm doing so for the sake of Android's high end games. I'm really excited about that but my only concern is the enormous file size of these kind of console-quality games. I'm picking up a top of the line Android with 32 GB internal memory (out of which 28 GB is available) with no micro SD slot. My music, videos, and pictures usually amount to about 8 GB which leaves just 20 GB for my apps and games.
I plan on keeping plenty of high end games such as Real Racing 3, Asphalt 7, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, 9mm, Call of Duty, Need for speed most wanted, Max Payne, Modern Combat 3, etc.
How big are these kind of games? Are they around 500 mb, 1 Gb, 1.5Gb, 2Gb, or even more than that? How many high end games do you think I'll be able to keep at once?
I've never used an Android before so I don't know anything about its apps.
Also, suppose if I want more games than my phone can hold at once, is there some way I can download and keep them on my Windows Desktop and then install them on my Android when I need to? That way I could keep like a hundred games on my computer and only install the ones I want at the moment on my phone.
Thanks in advance!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The APK file (Android Package file) of any Google Play-hosted app is limited to 50MB, however applications can have up to two expansion files in addition to the APK. These expansion files are limited to 2GB each. You can read more about expansion files here: APK Expansion Files | Android Developers. So each game has a theoretical maximum size of 2GB + 50MB, or 4146MB. However, in my experience even most large games don't use up the two full expansion files, and most don't use up the first.

When you uninstall an Android application such as a game, it typically removes stored data such as game files. Because of this, you can only uninstall the games when you aren't playing them if you're alright with potentially losing your saved information in the game.

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
The APK file (Android Package file) of any Google Play-hosted app is limited to 50MB, however applications can have up to two expansion files in addition to the APK. These expansion files are limited to 2GB each. You can read more about expansion files here: APK Expansion Files | Android Developers. So each game has a theoretical maximum size of 2GB + 50MB, or 4146MB. However, in my experience even most large games don't use up the two full expansion files, and most don't use up the first.

When you uninstall an Android application such as a game, it typically removes stored data such as game files. Because of this, you can only uninstall the games when you aren't playing them if you're alright with potentially losing your saved information in the game.
Thanks for the info. So from what you're saying is that since most Android games don't completely use up their first expansion file, the game itself would use us less than 2 GB of memory, right?
But just exactly how much memory will these high end games consume? Could you give an example please?
Thanks!

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. So from what you're saying is that since most Android games don't completely use up their first expansion file, the game itself would use us less than 2 GB of memory, right?
But just exactly how much memory will these high end games consume? Could you give an example please?
Thanks!

They are going to take up 500MB-2GB of space total for each. I don't have any of these games installed on my Nexus 4 so I can't tell you how big they are. I have some of them installed on my iPhone 5 and most are 1GB+.

spinkouch

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
don't worry about size of android application and games if you have a large capacity you can install more than 100 apps and games on your device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz