Why did you switch to android from ios/windows phone?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
For the longest time I've kinda been an apple guy when it came to devices. I had a iPod nano, iPod classic, iPhone 4, and recently a iPhone 5 and Ipad mini.

Before buying the iPhone 4, though, I actually bought a HTC Inspire as my first smart phone. I liked the phone quite a bit (it was my first smartphone, so I would have probaly liked anything :p) but the battery life on the inspire was a joke compared to the battery on the iPhone 4. So I traded it in for a iPhone 4 which had great battery life and what I felt like a far better ecosystem and experience.

So I had that phone for about 2 years and never really paid a TON of attention to androids progression during that time (I had some knowledge because I follow tech news.)

Then when the iPhone 5 came out and I was elgigable to upgrade my phone, I sold the iPhone 4 to AT&T and paid for a 32gb iPhone 5.

I liked it quite a bit, just like my iPhone 4. But honestly, it wasn't that noticeably different than my iPhone 4. I didn't have that same perceived jump in quality like I did goi g from the inspire to the iPhone 4 as I did going from iPhone 4 to 5. Yeah, bigger screen was nice, but it wasn't a super big screen and it was still same resolution as iPhone 4 it seemed.

Plus, apple made some weird changes wi ios 6 that I was mixed on.

I've used that phone for about 2 months before I heard alot of stuff about the nexus 4. I did more research into current android and found that alot of the hitches and UI stuff had been fixed and addressed and google was introducing quite a few cutting edge things with android like google now, and I recently moved my music collection to google music, so the fact android works see else's with that was enticing.

Honestly, ios still worked great like it always has, but it was the same goodness and did t feel new or exciting really anymore.

Android felt like new territory for me. I get to learn new features, things, interactions, and it seemed that google was alot more forward looking than apple was these days.

So I sold my iPhone 5 on ebay and used some of the money to buy a nexus 4 16gb because, since I was still under contract, I could only get a unlocked phone, and this was the best.

So that my story about switching g from ios to android for me phone. I still use a ipad mini for my tablet, but I. Really considering upgrading to whatever the new nexus 7 will be because I know it'll be cheaper than whatever the new mini will be. And honestly I need to be more money and price conscious these days, and I don't think I can swing paying the "apple tax" if these something just as good and cheaper.

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
well being a thrifty student that i am this is how my story went:
My first smartphone was the Iphone 3g.. around a year ago... It was okay I guess... I just needed it to call text and play minimal games... However my classmates had their cool Iphone 4 and Iphone 4s. I tried it out and was surprise on how fast it was. It could play some really awesome games like temple run( i guess its sorta awesome) without lag.. My iphone 3g couldnt even install it lol So for my birthday, my parents gave me an Iphone 4. Couldn't be happier! It was fast and had some cool features. Then I got hooked on Asphalt 7 and saw that the Iphone lagged quite a bit but wasnt bad. Then i saw an ad about the nexus 7... and man, i was blown away. 7' inch screen Quad-core Tegra 3 for under 200 Dollars! I was not familiar at all with Android especially 4.1 Jelly bean..(the **** is jelly bean?! im used to ios 6!)
Well, I tried it out at Staples or was it Office Depot... and first of all, Live wallpapers are the bomb. I'm not stuck with a dumb flower anymore, I have a freaken Koi pond or stars flying across my screen!
Widgets? Those are incredible. I can have a picture of my dog in a tiny frame? haha cute. A clock in my home screen. It just adds more personality and individuality.
You can even change your launcher if you don't like it.
Google Now is great too. All I need with a single swipe.
Gaming is just wow. Temple run 2 with high graphics, No problem! Oh Grand theft auto? Not a challenge. and right now my addiction of Hungry Shark evolution is getting out of control, must eat all the fishies. Ofcourse the loading time isnt that great compared to the iphone's and Ipads since its not optimized but its worth the trade off.
The Price. I got my Nexus 7 for under 160, with the box and cables. OR i could have gotten a 329 dollar Ipad mini plus tax and all... Apple is just too expensive for me and IOS 6 is no different from the other IOS. Jump from IOS 5 -> 6 isnt much but from ICS -> JellyBean is huge.
I read some ebooks quite a bit on my iphone and the Nexus 7 greatly enhanced it!
Chrome > Safari. Just saying.
Oh I forgot to mention that I sold my iphone 4 for the Nexus 7 and still had cash left over. My phone currently is an oldphone but hey, the nexus 7 is portable and virtually replaced my iphone.. except for the calling feature. Tablet Talk sync my messages to my tablet.
Android is very customizable and cheaper.. (excluding the Note II since that is worth the Price) while Apple is simplistic, not really for the tech savvy aka my mom... Unless you jailbreak and all those fun stuff.
thats just my opinion. Not saying ppl shouldnt get apple but if you're in a budget, Android is a good alternative.

Thinking about getting the Nexus 4 since its unlocked and for only 349!

Miggs2002

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
i've been a fan of apple for years and had the iphones all through the range to the iphone4, both the wife and i are on contract phones and the wife was waiting for the iphone5, when it was released as the 4s she decided to upgrade to an android phone, after spending an hour on her phone setting it up for her i was converted to android, mainly because the apple products only come into their own when jailbroken, android phones are like jailbroken iphones without the jailbreak, i was 6 months away from upgrading so swapped my iphone4 for a galaxy S2, i loved it so much i got the S3 when it was released and i plan to get the S4 when released too, android products are so much more that apple ones, i will never go back

Darthstorm528

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I had the iPhone4 back in Nov of 2011 after coming from a BlackBerry and I felt in love, I always wanted the iPhone and thought it was the greatest thing until Sept 2012 when I briefly went to the HTC EVO 4G LTE, in the past, I had gone to the original EVO and back to BB, but I went to the iPhone5 in a trade. I started to regret it with shorter battery life, WiFi connection issues, ect.

It was then that it was time to get out of my grandparents line and started to go on my own line so I left Sprint which I hated and was glad when I left and switched to Verizon got the HTC Droid DNA which once again I went with an HTC device because I'm still a fan of Sense.

Battery life is still better than the iPhone5, and I can customize the Homescreen and apparently the WiFi connections are better. Android has improved since my days with EVO and even the Hero which I had for a short time as well. Android is here to stay with me now:)

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA LTE Device

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I first started preferring Android in the summer of 2011, but really fell in love with the GNex. I think it was just the phone's size and speed. As I looked more into Android, I really began to love the freedom of the OS.

BarackOdrama

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had every iPhone except the first. I'll be switching to the S4 because I know Apple will release a 5S and my 5 already feels outdated.

I'm mainly switching for the bigger screen and the customization options. It'll be nice to get a phone I can customize to my liking from the start without having to wait for a jailbreak.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
well being a thrifty student that i am this is how my story went:
My first smartphone was the Iphone 3g.. around a year ago... It was okay I guess... I just needed it to call text and play minimal games... However my classmates had their cool Iphone 4 and Iphone 4s. I tried it out and was surprise on how fast it was. It could play some really awesome games like temple run( i guess its sorta awesome) without lag.. My iphone 3g couldnt even install it lol So for my birthday, my parents gave me an Iphone 4. Couldn't be happier! It was fast and had some cool features. Then I got hooked on Asphalt 7 and saw that the Iphone lagged quite a bit but wasnt bad. Then i saw an ad about the nexus 7... and man, i was blown away. 7' inch screen Quad-core Tegra 3 for under 200 Dollars! I was not familiar at all with Android especially 4.1 Jelly bean..(the **** is jelly bean?! im used to ios 6!)
Well, I tried it out at Staples or was it Office Depot... and first of all, Live wallpapers are the bomb. I'm not stuck with a dumb flower anymore, I have a freaken Koi pond or stars flying across my screen!
Widgets? Those are incredible. I can have a picture of my dog in a tiny frame? haha cute. A clock in my home screen. It just adds more personality and individuality.
You can even change your launcher if you don't like it.
Google Now is great too. All I need with a single swipe.
Gaming is just wow. Temple run 2 with high graphics, No problem! Oh Grand theft auto? Not a challenge. and right now my addiction of Hungry Shark evolution is getting out of control, must eat all the fishies. Ofcourse the loading time isnt that great compared to the iphone's and Ipads since its not optimized but its worth the trade off.
The Price. I got my Nexus 7 for under 160, with the box and cables. OR i could have gotten a 329 dollar Ipad mini plus tax and all... Apple is just too expensive for me and IOS 6 is no different from the other IOS. Jump from IOS 5 -> 6 isnt much but from ICS -> JellyBean is huge.
I read some ebooks quite a bit on my iphone and the Nexus 7 greatly enhanced it!
Chrome > Safari. Just saying.
Oh I forgot to mention that I sold my iphone 4 for the Nexus 7 and still had cash left over. My phone currently is an oldphone but hey, the nexus 7 is portable and virtually replaced my iphone.. except for the calling feature. Tablet Talk sync my messages to my tablet.
Android is very customizable and cheaper.. (excluding the Note II since that is worth the Price) while Apple is simplistic, not really for the tech savvy aka my mom... Unless you jailbreak and all those fun stuff.
thats just my opinion. Not saying ppl shouldnt get apple but if you're in a budget, Android is a good alternative.

Thinking about getting the Nexus 4 since its unlocked and for only 349!

Actually I don't c the difference in loading times between my Gnex and my bros ip5.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystalLewis