Best word processing Apps

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Me again, with yet another question! Taking the approach that if I'm thinking it, then others will be too!!

So...time to use the nexus 10 for work purposes. I need an office app that can get the job done well. I've Google my little socks off again, but yet to find any advice that will lead me to a decision. As per usual, I'm over-thinking and want the best for my needs. The main use will be for word processing, so not particularly bothered if the spreadsheet or database element let's it down. The thing I really need is to be able to create, as well as read Microsoft word documents. I also need the basic functions of being able to manipulate text size, font etc, create tables and access to a hood spell checker that's has a UK option . An auto save function would be really useful too (but not essential and not at the cost of the other things I've mentioned). The apps that stand out seem to be Officer suite, document to go and quick office. I've ruled out google drive as i've read that it has tendency to mess with formatting and can't do tables.

Who uses what and would you recommend it given the above?

Thanks

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Me again, with yet another question! Taking the approach that if I'm thinking it, then others will be too!!

So...time to use the nexus 10 for work purposes. I need an office app that can get the job done well. I've Google my little socks off again, but yet to find any advice that will lead me to a decision. As per usual, I'm over-thinking and want the best for my needs. The main use will be for word processing, so not particularly bothered if the spreadsheet or database element let's it down. The thing I really need is to be able to create, as well as read Microsoft word documents. I also need the basic functions of being able to manipulate text size, font etc, create tables and access to a hood spell checker that's has a UK option . An auto save function would be really useful too (but not essential and not at the cost of the other things I've mentioned). The apps that stand out seem to be Officer suite, document to go and quick office. I've ruled out google drive as i've read that it has tendency to mess with formatting and can't do tables.

Who uses what and would you recommend it given the above?

Thanks

There's always Microsoft's own SkyDrive App in Google Play which would probably give you least amount of grief hopping back and forth between your Nexus 10 and Word on a PC. The only MAJOR downside is that to be able to edit SkyDrive Word documents you MUST be online. Offline you cannot edit, therefore you are really dependent on having internet all the time.

For offline editing, my favorite office suite is "KingSoft Office" in Google Play. I haven't used it on a Nexus 10, but it works outstanding on the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. I've yet to find any Office product that seamlessly inter-operates with Microsoft Word, so if you are really into advanced editing and manipulating fonts I suppose it might not work for your needs. But it is a free App (or I use the free version) and I've been quite pleased with it.

Sometimes what I do -- when I require exact formatting with MS Word and I need the option of working offline is I edit in KingSoft Office and then save to SkyDrive Word when I have internet access and fix formatting errors (if any) and then I know from there it will format perfectly into MS Word on a PC. It is kind of a pain, and it gets hard to keep track of which version is which version, but I have not figured out a better way.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay before I give my suggestion let's put things in perspective.

How much did your Nexus 10 cost?
How much does a copy of MS Word cost?
Where looking at around $400 and $100, right?

Okay now here is my recommendation get both Office Suite and Documents to go. For your Nexus you might want to look at getting Quickoffice HD Pro.

Of the three I like Office Suite and Docs2Go the best.
The most stable and reliable was Docs2Go it handled large files the best and did the best job of rendering MS Word filed, but it had the worst UI. So aside from reading and editing existing it was not very good.

Office suite was in the middle it did a good job of creating complex layout outs(mind you nothing compares to desktops so this is a relative statement). Office suite does more updates than the others and has the most support on all platforms. It works on my Google TV!

Quickoffice has the best UI it's tablet UI looks impressive but it's downhill from there. It is the most expensive and charge you three times for the same product (phone, mid size tablet, larger tablet). Even that is forgivable, but what is not is the poor support it had for larger files. It struggled to render even the most basic for formats if the file got big enough. I don't know if that has changed from last year but I would not expect it too.

You have nothing to lose by using Google docs it's free. The best part of docs is it stores the files on the server. Even if you later decide to buy a different word processor all the ones mentioned here seamlessly integrate with Google Drive (docs)

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Okay before I give my suggestion let's put things in perspective.

How much did your Nexus 10 cost?
How much does a copy of MS Word cost?
Where looking at around $400 and $100, right?

Okay now here is my recommendation get both Office Suite and Documents to go. For your Nexus you might want to look at getting Quickoffice HD Pro.

Of the three I like Office Suite and Docs2Go the best.
The most stable and reliable was Docs2Go it handled large files the best and did the best job of rendering MS Word filed, but it had the worst UI. So aside from reading and editing existing it was not very good.

Office suite was in the middle it did a good job of creating complex layout outs(mind you nothing compares to desktops so this is a relative statement). Office suite does more updates than the others and has the most support on all platforms. It works on my Google TV!

Quickoffice has the best UI it's tablet UI looks impressive but it's downhill from there. It is the most expensive and charge you three times for the same product (phone, mid size tablet, larger tablet). Even that is forgivable, but what is not is the poor support it had for larger files. It struggled to render even the most basic for formats if the file got big enough. I don't know if that has changed from last year but I would not expect it too.

You have nothing to lose by using Google docs it's free. The best part of docs is it stores the files on the server. Even if you later decide to buy a different word processor all the ones mentioned here seamlessly integrate with Google Drive (docs)

What if you needed to be able to offline edit. Would all of your recommendations be the same? Don't you need to be online to use Google Docs and Drive?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What if you needed to be able to offline edit. Would all of your recommendations be the same? Don't you need to be online to use Google Docs and Drive?

You can store Drive files offline.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
You can store Drive files offline.

I know you can store and view Google Drive docs offline, but can you edit them offline? So far as I can tell on the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 7 you cannot edit Google Spreadsheets or Documents offline. Am I doing something wrong, or is the Nexus 10 different?

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You are correct.

As for my advice I'm not a fan of Google Docs, but the real nature of my point was why ask about how good Docs is when one can try themselves.

fmar26

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest Softmaker Office for Android, you have word processor, and spreadsheet and it reads MS word text. $31. Canadian
Hope it helps you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12