1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default General Battery Question

I have heard a number of times these things are up for debate-but is the following true?

1) You can extend your battery's life by trying to charge it less, and generally only once per day or as infrequent as you can. I have heard that the more the plug in the phone to charge the battery the shorter the battery itself will hold a good charge.

2) dont leave the phone/battery on the charger for an extended period if the battery is full-this diminishes the capacity of the battery. I.E. its not smart to charge your phone overnight.

I dont know if the above is actually true, and I've heard pros and cons toward each item. The only thing I can say is that I just recently replaced my extended battery because it didnt seemed to be holding a charge anymore and I noticed a huge difference, and I generally plug the phone in every night and most days I leave it on the charger at work if I listen to music.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: General Battery Question

Quote Originally Posted by dannyro77 View Post
    I have heard a number of times these things are up for debate-but is the following true?

1) You can extend your battery's life by trying to charge it less, and generally only once per day or as infrequent as you can. I have heard that the more the plug in the phone to charge the battery the shorter the battery itself will hold a good charge.

2) dont leave the phone/battery on the charger for an extended period if the battery is full-this diminishes the capacity of the battery. I.E. its not smart to charge your phone overnight.

I dont know if the above is actually true, and I've heard pros and cons toward each item. The only thing I can say is that I just recently replaced my extended battery because it didnt seemed to be holding a charge anymore and I noticed a huge difference, and I generally plug the phone in every night and most days I leave it on the charger at work if I listen to music.

Any thoughts?
    Actually there are so many factors on this subject like you backlight and really and truly what you use it for but I will tell you this, Actually the more you use your phone the better because you are constantly exciting the electrons in the cell of the battery which keeps them moving. Also as i do I let my battery die at least 2 times a month until the phone shuts off to also cycle the battery but don't worry about how you are charging it. Just use it, Charge it when needed and be happy. Welcome to Android Central.

Any thoughts?
    your points depend largely on two things: battery chemistry and charging circuitry.

Since most phones these days are lithium-ion, i'll assume it as such going forward here (Ni-cd and Ni-MH batteries have different characteristics and do need to be treated differently when charging).

Lithium-ion batteries cannot be fully discharged. Most modern circuitry will not allow it, because if it does discharge fully, the chemistry in the battery could actually create shunts which will actually short the battery. So even though your phone says discharged, it's really not. Lithium-ion batteries are memoryless, so you can charge them at any time you want. What does wear on lithium-ion batteries is the actual charging cycles. So yes, the more infrequent you charge them, the better (while in normal use). But because lithium-ion batteries are relatively cheaper these days, I wouldn't manage your life around it. If you need a charge or anticipate that you will because you'll be out all day tomorrow, then do it. You'll need to buy a replacement anyway in about two years (if you try to maximize by charging only once a day, then that might extend it. but then you'd get what, an extra month or two?)

I wouldn't worry about leaving the charger plugged. Modern circuitry is very good at detecting charge levels, especially in lithium-ion chemistry. You should let it run down, however, at least once a month.

Well, I have heard these things too. And I try to follow them. I don't charge my phone till it have too little of power to work. And I'm trying not ot leave it charging for example for the whole night.
    I have been following these tips and I can't say that the charge is kept less than when I bought my phone more than a year ago. So, it might be working.
    Intellectsoft. We build software. Intelligently.