Changing companies at the end of a contract?

David Wren

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new to contact phones, and I'm coming up on the end of my first two year contract. I'm looking into changing to a new company, but I'm wondering what is the standard process for doing this? I'd like to port my number at the end of my contract, but at the same time I don't want to deal with an ETF. Do I wait until the end of my contract and then request to port? Or will I lose my number doing this? Or is there some kind of window that I should be requesting my port in before the end of the 24 month contract?

If it matters, I'm looking to move from T-Mobile to Verizon. From word of mouth they have better service in my area, and I'd like to have something more than 2G service when I'm around my house.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You should wait until your contract is over. Plus, T-Mobile no longer has contracts, so that isn't something you'll need to deal with.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Mr.Audio

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Just a few important steps.

1. Make sure your contract has expired, which puts you on month-to-month.
  2. Do NOT cancel your existing service.
  3. Start your service with the new company FIRST, and ask them to port your number over. Only ACTIVE numbers can be ported.
  4. You will get a temporary phone number on the new service until your old number is ported over. It may take 30 minutes, or it may take 5 days (usually closer to the former).
  5. Once your number has been ported, your old service should be canceled automatically, but follow up with them to make sure.

That's it!

You can optionally switch carriers early, and you'll typically pay a pro-rated ETF (early termination fee) for the portion of your contract that still remained. If it's a month or two, it might be worth the cost.

David Wren

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I had no idea my service would continue after the contract expired. That does give some breathing room to work with, and makes much more sense! Thanks for the information.

nickndfl

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is better than T-Mobile, I had both. Call customer service to make sure your phone will work before the switchover. They will also tell you how to activate it and on which day.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463