Will smartphones and tablets merge?

nube_android

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
As a cultofandroid writer says about an android laptop "A kitchen Android laptop would be far superior and more convenient than a conventional Android tablet." That being said, does it make more sense to have a 5- inch phone and a laptop over a 4 inch phone and ten inch tablet plus a laptop? What I'm asking is, do you think the "Tablet" just become a bit bigger phone around the 4.8-6 inch size (Phablets) while people get rid of bigger, regular tablets in favor of ol fashioned computers?

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. I believe phones will stay around the 5 inch area. Bigger than that they start to become cumbersome to use. Some like the Note 2 and more power to them, but the size of the Nexus 4 screen is about as wide and tall as I can use one handed comfortably. I think 7 and 10 inch tablets will remain profitable. Old fashioned computers are on the way out though, with the power and portability we have with tablets and smartphones, in 20 years desktops and laptops will be a thing of the past. Except for business of course.

anjali_jain

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure I would ever be comfortable with a phone that large. I still prefer a smart phone and a tablet, when needed. Combining both, to phase out the tablet would be interesting to see, but I do not want to carry a phone that large.

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I believe phones will not get much bigger because then you will be defeating the purpose of portability. Think about where you put your phone? Tablets on the other hand will be come the laptop and the laptops that we have now will expire. Home computers or desktops will no loner be instead TV's and other devices will be used as our computer. Obviously this is what I believe will happen and think it will happen within 10yrs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress