Leaving iPhone 4S, moving to Android....Galaxy S4 -or- HTC One??

MrCGym

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I really don't know which I want to go with. I'm on AT&T. If I try either on and want to switch I would have to pay the $35 AND I wouldn't be certain which I would like better.

I'm leaning toward the S4. It seems to be a slightly more proven product line. I like that I can put a 64g disk in and it has a removable battery. I mainly use the phone for calls, text, some internet searches, and a few apps. I listen to a little music so the HTS's speakers are a plus but not a sole reason to go with it.

I'm wondering what others think. I have played with both in the store but not nearly enough to know which I like better. I don't want to be that guy that pulls up a chair int he store and sits there for a couple hours, which is really the only way I find that you know what you like.

I know that replies would be your own personal opinions but any thoughts here? Please help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I really don't know which I want to go with. I'm on AT&T. If I try either on and want to switch I would have to pay the $35 AND I wouldn't be certain which I would like better.

I'm leaning toward the S4. It seems to be a slightly more proven product line. I like that I can put a 64g disk in and it has a removable battery. I mainly use the phone for calls, text, some internet searches, and a few apps. I listen to a little music so the HTS's speakers are a plus but not a sole reason to go with it.

I'm wondering what others think. I have played with both in the store but not nearly enough to know which I like better. I don't want to be that guy that pulls up a chair int he store and sits there for a couple hours, which is really the only way I find that you know what you like.

I know that replies would be your own personal opinions but any thoughts here? Please help.

I would say make a list of what features you like in a phone. Not just raw specifications. Then return to the store and check out each feature. Take sounds. There should be a sample file on the HTC one. Listen and see if you like the speakers. Same goes for the S4. That is just one example.

I personally like removable batteries and SD cards as well. Removable SD cards allow me to separate my music and images (pictures and video) from my internal storage. I leave my internal for apps and related files. (Apps load quicker from internal anyway.) Removable SD cards also make installing custom ROMs a little less painful. Proper procedure is to reboot into recovery, wipe the phone completely and then install the ROM. Removable batteries allow to replace them easier if something goes wrong. I have already replaced a battery for my Galaxy S2. Also, in the case of a really bad flash, I have had to pull my battery. Kinda hard to do when the battery is sealed in the device.

I am also personally not an HTC fan. But I have played with it a couple times. The smoothness of swipes is nice, the display is pretty sharp. But for me it holds a little awkward, however, I am not weighing heavily on that judgement, due to the high possibility that the security device on the display model may have been getting in the way. I am not big into Sense (HTC's User Interface), and I do not like the layout of their keys.
I have yet to hold the S4. So I can't tell you my impressions of it. I am currently using an S3, so as far as how it holds in my hand I am quite familiar with.

However, here is another suggestion: I held the LG Optimus G in Sprint, and I liked that one as well. It is also on AT&T, so there is another option for you. Most of the Specs are similar to that of either the S4 or the One.

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

I also came from iphone 4s. I researched weeks and weeks between phones I wanted. Features I liked between all the phones and thought I had made my choice until I saw and played with them all in person.

I went with the S4 :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

MrCGym

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Nice! Thanks for the info and advice.

I have no idea what a ROM isn't even how to use it though. I'm a soon-to-be former iPhone user.

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Nice! Thanks for the info and advice.

I have no idea what a ROM isn't even how to use it though. I'm a soon-to-be former iPhone user.

That is something used on rooted android phone. It is a custom system, for lack of a better term. It can range from completely stock look, to nothing like stock, full of inverted apps and other mods. It does offer advantages.

Sent from my GS3 sporting Wicked Sensations...

MrCGym

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I actually looked it up. Read about Chameleon MOD. Seems pretty awesome. I'll likely look at discussions here about MODs too

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I was in a similar boat. I had an iPhone 5 and I just switched over to the HTC One on Friday.

In short, I love it.

Since I never used Sense 4 -- I didn't come in with a bad taste in my mouth. Personally, I'm digging Sense 5 - but I know after awhile I'll get the itch to start tinkering around. Reading all about the Roms and what not really has my interest piqued. Not to mention just playing with new launchers.

I haven't really gone down any of those paths yet, I'm not sure if I switch launchers will it make my phone faster? slower? Since I was use to iOS keeping me from all the stuff under the hood, it is weird to be able to see all the running processes and look at free RAM and stuff.

All in all I'm loving that I switched from iPhone to Android. I think right now the only things I'm missing is a really great Twitter app (TweetBot was amazing) and knowing I could pop into the Apple Store to see a Genius during the first year if anything was funky with my iPhone.

Now I guess I go to an AT&T store? Not sure. I have a few pixels dead on my screen and while it's not super noticable, I'm particular about these things and I don't know if I take it to my local AT&T corporate store or if they'll even give me grief of it.

It's those little things I'm working through... but I don't regret kicking the iPhone to the curb.

Josh Angston

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same situation trying to decide between the two. Coming from an iPhone4 so either will be a very nice upgrade. I really don't care for the speakers on the HTC One as i'll pretty much never use them and the aluminum shell would be wasted on me as all my phones instantly go into a case and never come out except for a cleaning when junk gets in. I have a S4 on pre-order (Canada) so I still have the chance to cancel if I do sway over to the HTC One, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the S4 thus far.

I like the removable storage on the S4 and the swappable battery is nice as I'll likely keep the same phone for 2-3 years so if it drops performance, I can grab a new one. Also, with keeping the phone so long, it is nice how easy it is to repair the S4 at low cost versus the HTC One if something does go wrong. I do like the fact the HTC One has 32gb internal storage, but even with all the photos and videos I take on my iPhone4, and having it since launch day, I've only used 7.7gb and 1.5gb of that is from timelapse videos I easily could have cleaned off (or put on SD Card on s4). I don't install large games so I don't think internal storage will be much of an issue for me.

Big thing has been deciding which camera I prefer, each seem to have their own strong points. HTC One obviously wins in low light, but I never really take photos in low light so again that doesn't seem overly important to me and if I do, Night Mode on the S4 seems more than adequate for my needs. Looking at all the sample images online from a ton of reviews, I've been leaning towards the S4's camera. I do like the larger field of view with the HTC, but it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker. I do like the optical image stabilization in the HTC One, but it doesn't seem enough reason to get it.

I do like some the features on the Samsung that the HTC One doesn't have. I really could see myself using the Air Gestures as I often used my iPhone for recipes when cooking and not having to touch the screen with dirty hands seems like a great plus I'd use at least a few times a week. The larger screen area for the 1080p seems nice as well, not packed as tight, coming from 326ppi on the iPhone it will be a large improvement.

So far I can't see any way I would be disappointed with either the HTC One or the S4. Such a hard choice, especially with all the conflicting views and opinions on each side.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza