Google Play Favorite Things sweepstake administrator?

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So apparently it seems like I was one of the winners for Google Play Favorite Things but I'm not sure if this was legit or not so I wanted to ask. Also, do I need to pay tax on an item under $399?

Company sponsor: Marden Kane
Congratulations! As the official sweepstakes administrator for the Google Play Favorite Things Sweepstakes on behalf of Google Inc., it is our pleasure to inform you that you have been selected as a potential Prize Winner pending confirmation of your eligibility and identity.

The prize is: Nexus 10 Tablet; Approximate Retail Value: $399

By accepting this prize, you agree to use of your name, city, state, prize information, and biographical information for advertising and publicity purposes worldwide in any media without additional compensation.

In order for us to verify your eligibility in the sweepstakes and declare you an official winner, it will be necessary for you to complete, sign and return the enclosed Affidavit of Eligibility to my attention no later than Noon Eastern Time on Monday, May 6, 2013.

...[personal info and stuff]...

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I got an email from them a couple of hours ago, but mine is the $10 gift card (you're a lucky guy!). Anyway, it had ironically landed in my Gmail spam but I double-checked - it's legit, Marden Kane is a known contest and promotions administrator. Also checked the e-mail headers and Google'd the sender and it all checks out. :)

Edit: As long as a 1099 isn't issued then you will not have to pay tax on the prize. Normally, a company is not required to issue a 1099 for anything under $600.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I got an email from them a couple of hours ago, but mine is the $10 gift card (you're a lucky guy!). Anyway, it had ironically landed in my Gmail spam but I double-checked - it's legit, Marden Kane is a known contest and promotions administrator. Also checked the e-mail headers and Google'd the sender and it all checks out. :)

Edit: As long as a 1099 isn't issued then you will not have to pay tax on the prize. Normally, a company is not required to issue a 1099 for anything under $600.

Thanks. I was checking and checking to make sure Marden Kane was a legit company before signing the form that was emailed to me. I hope everything goes smoothly and receive the tablet soon :D

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
No prob, it is always good to double check these things! I just had to email back my name, mailing address and date of birth but I guess since you won one of the top prizes they need the affidavit.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
No prob, it is always good to double check these things! I just had to email back my name, mailing address and date of birth but I guess since you won one of the top prizes they need the affidavit.

Yeah, had to fill out the affidavit form. Hope that's all they need and I asked how long it will take, told me 1-2 weeks for verification.

Mo007

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Same thing happened with me :) I won a nexus 4 .. and the ARV for that is 299 .. I have never won anything thats why I was very skeptical but then I looked into the company and called the lady and spoke to her. Its LEGIT !! Guess what I just won something for the very first time in my life.

here's her email that I got yesterday:

Congratulations! As the official sweepstakes administrator for the Google Play Favorite Things Sweepstakes on behalf of Google Inc., it is our pleasure to inform you that you have been selected as a potential Prize Winner pending confirmation of your eligibility and identity.

The prize is: Nexus 4 Smartphone; Approximate Retail Value: ARV $299

By accepting this prize, you agree to use of your name, city, state, prize information, and biographical information for advertising and publicity purposes worldwide in any media without additional compensation.
In order for us to verify your eligibility in the sweepstakes and declare you an official winner, it will be necessary for you to complete, sign and return the enclosed Affidavit of Eligibility to my attention no later than Noon Eastern Time on Monday, May 6, 2013.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on the win! :)

I can't wait to receive the Nexus 10. Time to switch back to my SGS3 from my iPhone 5.. Root AT&T SGS3, unblock AT&T provision for tethering.. and then tether to Nexus 10 on the go. Hope I won't get caught lol, still on the unlimited data. I normally only would tether to tablets (Android or iOS). But since I don't have a tablet, I just use iPhone 5 for better battery life. :D

Mo007

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man !! congrats to you too :) You won the bigger price. My touchpad is getting really old now. it would have been awesome if I had won a nexus10 :) But hey ,, can't complain -- something is better than nothing. The only thing is I already have a 16gb nexus 4. So I'm gonna be selling this one as soon as i get it.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Man, I'm so impatient... waiting for the verification to complete seems like waiting forever haha. Can't wait for it to be shipped :D

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Your affidavits probably still are in the legal department. I got a reply back the morning after I sent it that my info passed muster , but I didn't have to fill out an affidavit b/c my prize was just the giftcard.

Posted via Android Central App

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Your affidavits probably still are in the legal department. I got a reply back the morning after I sent it that my info passed muster , but I didn't have to fill out an affidavit b/c my prize was just the giftcard.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah, it usually takes a while I think. Just hope it's processed by next week and shipped soon, though I bet it will take about 2-3 weeks. Since this was last week, I assume from first contact to receiving order, overall should be a month process. Email was sent out 4/30.. ~2 weeks to process the affidavits, 1-2 weeks for shipping process stuff.

aceplanet

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
If they plan on sending out all of the prizes at once, it might take a few weeks before the send it out. I say this because I'm sure that some people might not have seen their emails and so it had to go to alternate winners and Those emails went out on the 7th and have until the 13th.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If they plan on sending out all of the prizes at once, it might take a few weeks before the send it out. I say this because I'm sure that some people might not have seen their emails and so it had to go to alternate winners and Those emails went out on the 7th and have until the 13th.

I hope they don't do that... First batch was 4/30 to 5/6 emails.. I assume if people responded, the first batch should have verification done by 5/17 and shipped the week after it. If they wait for all winners, it will take a long time for sure.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Well with the wait, think of it this way - with Google I/O this week, maybe there will be a next gen version of one or both tablets appearing and you'll get that! :)

Mo007

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Still patiently waiting :) I actually forgot about it -- Today I was like hey wait a minute, they were supposed to announce the winners -- right?
So anyways - still waiting .. funny thing is I already have a nexus 4 16GB -- which is almost full .. Had to move a bunch of things to my PC the other day.
So I'm going to sell mine on Day 1 and keep that cash for "The Next Big Thing" :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12