Permissions are far from ideal. I'll probably never have an Android device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevie Harley

May 7, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly what I'm saying. Based on your posts you aren't interested in debate or conversation. The only thing you seem to be interested in is blind bashing of android.
Ok, sorry, I must say you weren't also the most polite poster... So what are your arguments? What is the de-facto interpretation of the cited permissions?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok, sorry, I must say you weren't also the most polite poster... So what are your arguments? What is the de-facto interpretation of the cited permissions?

You are assuming that just because an app has those permissions, it uses them. That is not the case. You also assume that if an app has access to permissions like the one you listed previously, that the data can 1) Be tied back to individual users, and 2) Phone home and provide nefarious individuals with private user data. That is not the case either.
One of ACs writers did a good breakdown of what permissions mean, and why they are not as nefarious as you and others have tried to claim.

http://m.androidcentral.com/android-permissions-privacy-security

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Stevie Harley

May 7, 2013
Visit site
You are assuming that just because an app has those permissions, it uses them. That is not the case. You also assume that if an app has access to permissions like the one you listed previously, that the data can 1) Be tied back to individual users, and 2) Phone home and provide nefarious individuals with private user data. That is not the case either.
One of ACs writers did a good breakdown of what permissions mean, and why they are not as nefarious as you and others have tried to claim.

Android app permissions - How Google gets it right ... | Android Central

Still, imho, permissions are too 'generic'.
Here's a source: Apple Yanks Privacy App From The App Store | SecurityWeek.Com and it details how Apple does not want users to know what permissions Apps are being given.
Why "Apple" always pops in? :)

stanwest31

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Nope, it also allows the app to read the phone number, ID, and the number I'm calling/receiving a call.

Nope, maps isn't available offline, it has a stupid cache but you can't do anything offline.
And the permissions you grant when you're installing the app, not when you're receiving a call.

BlackBerry send that same info back to their servers too.

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd say root your phone (as stated by poster above my post). Then research about pdroid, pdroid2.0, or most known OpenPdroid. They allow you to hide many information from applications without actually denying any permissions which can cause force closes type of issues by applications like permissions denied. Of course though a combination of openPdroid and permissions denied works best if you know what you're doing. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Stevie Harley

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I'd say root your phone (as stated by poster above my post). Then research about pdroid, pdroid2.0, or most known OpenPdroid. They allow you to hide many information from applications without actually denying any permissions which can cause force closes type of issues by applications like permissions denied. Of course though a combination of openPdroid and permissions denied works best if you know what you're doing. ;)
Wow! This answer suddenly made the entire topic worthy of my time. Yeah, it seems some people are on the right track already to provide at least a little bit of privacy and security to Android phones. It's a pity thought if you root the device you basically ditches the warranty. I'm looking forward to see how OpenPdroid progresses. If it gets good maybe I'll have my own Android Phone in the future.
Thank you very much :).

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree with the OP. Free Android apps remind me of the free wallpaper or email stationary for desktops, filled with spyware. They constantly run in the background even though they are not being used, they must be doing something with all those permissions. If phones are merely computers now, then they need to have firewalls to go along with the antivirus software. Otherwise, yes, you do start to get more and more spam texts and phone calls from people attempting to sell you things. Information like phone numbers and email addresses are worth money and that's what these (some, not all) free app developers are counting on so they can make money. An app that provides me with a background and icons has no need to access anything on the phone but they all list every permission possible.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Curious - how familiar are you with the terms of every service you use?

Do you know what Google can and can't do with the information you make available to it through Gmail, search, Drive, etc.? Same goes for Yahoo and Microsoft? What about this very site, Android Central?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I tend to agree with the OP. Free Android apps remind me of the free wallpaper or email stationary for desktops, filled with spyware. They constantly run in the background even though they are not being used, they must be doing something with all those permissions. If phones are merely computers now, then they need to have firewalls to go along with the antivirus software. Otherwise, yes, you do start to get more and more spam texts and phone calls from people attempting to sell you things. Information like phone numbers and email addresses are worth money and that's what these (some, not all) free app developers are counting on so they can make money. An app that provides me with a background and icons has no need to access anything on the phone but they all list every permission possible.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Solution: don't use apps and services whose terms you don't agree with.

Stevie Harley

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, if you think any random android developer (basically anyone) is as trustful as Google, Microsoft and AndroidCentral, I'm sorry to say but you probably have a huge lack of common sense.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Solution: don't use apps and services whose terms you don't agree with.

It's getting harder and harder as more and more apps ask for the moon and more.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Seriously, if you think any random android developer (basically anyone) is as trustful as Google, Microsoft and AndroidCentral, I'm sorry to say but you probably have a huge lack of common sense.

Again, you lack a basic understanding of the information developers have access to. Here's a hint: its a lot less than what you think it is.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If you think that you can completely trust Google, Microsoft, and Android Central, you probably have a huge lack of common sense.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
If you think that you can completely trust Google, Microsoft, and Android Central, you probably have a huge lack of common sense.
Hey now. No trashing the Android Central folks. :p

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's getting harder and harder as more and more apps ask for the moon and more.

Other than the ability to make calls and/or send texts - for most non-business people, everything else on a smartphone is non-essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol