Can't decide if I wanna upgrade to new nexus 7 or ipad mini 2.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a ipad mini. I like it, but fell the screen is lacking. I'm going to assume both the new nexus 7 and new ipad mini will have HD displays, but the mini with retina is rumored to be next year (!) and the new nexus could be out as early as June.

Really, the reasons I'm having such a hard time deciding is because it's a question between price and apps.

I know the nexus is probaly going to be a fair bit cheaper than the mini, and that's appealing to me because money's tight.

But I'm very gun shy buying into the android tablet app ecosystem, mainly because its impossible to tell what apps will look and perform well on the tablet.

I know with ios there's a ton of tablet optimized apps.

Maybe I have a inaccurate view on The android tablet app ecosystem. Please correct me if I do. And to be fair I don't download a ton of new things anyway.

So, I know this is putting the cart way ahead of the horse, but which way do you think I should go? Or is more data needed?

Simon Orford

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I am an android guy but my wife likes the idea of Apples I products so i bought her an ipad mini . I am a techy kind of guy. From a hardware point of view i think the apple ipad mini is a fantastic device, very light and the battery lasts. In terms of user experience and the app store it sucks. Here is what i have found so far:

In android if you want a file (video, doc, whatever file you want) on your device you simply drag it across to the android device as it shows up in file explorer like a portable hard-drive. You dont have to install some app first and then drag it into itunes. You can edit and access the one file from multiple applications. In IOS you need to have multiple copies of the file....one for each associated app!!!
Google play (googles app store) has MUCH more genuinely free stuff. I have been extremely frustrated with the lack of free stuff and also installing what appears to be free only for it to be severely crippled. There is MUCH more quality free stuff in google play. Also there are much more comments and recommendations on the apps so you get a better idea of the quality of an app. Judging an app from 5 ratings is much more risky then from 5000. It seems google users like to rate and comment more. Also no passwords required on each install.

If you want to play a mkv file on an android device just drag it across. iOS deviced dont allow this video format or aac encoding of the sound. So you have to re-encode or at least put into a different container format (mission)

Then of course you can customize your device so much more which is not just fun but result in much increased functionality AND productivity.

So in summary i believe the IOS device is superior in terms of hardware (not specs, but build and usability) but i would definitely not buy another Apple device as it is way to limited in both usability and in the app store.

Wait for the Nexus 7-2

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Asus fonepad brilliant connectivity same screen as nex7, expandable storage, GPS, Bluetooth, and it makes phonecalls. I'm loving mine after the kobo arc limitations got to much.