After 3 months with Android, my observations:

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I should probaly state that I'm kinda the type of person that gets swayed depending on what I listen to and read, so maybe this is all coming up because I've listened to a iOS and Mac podcast, but I think these observations are in line with what I'm really feeling.

About 3 months or so ago I sold my iPhone 5 on ebay and purchased a Nexus 4. I wanted to dip my toe into android and the phone space is better to do that I think than the tablet space.

Originally, I sold the iPhone because I was with iOS since the iPhone 4 and I wanted to branch out and try something new. And ere were alot of cool stuff that android did compared to ios. (Google now. Customization, widgets, better integration with maps, and etc.)

Although there's quite a bit I like about android and my nexus 4, there were some things I'm missing from my iPhone and iOS experience (note that some of these might just be issues I have with the nexus 4):

1. Build quality: I loved my iPhones premium build quality. From my time owning the iPhone, I never had sticky buttons, felt t was too cheap, and etc. my nexus 4s power button is getting flush with the phone, removing that satisfying clicks feel.

2. Apps: this goes for variety and accessibility. What I mean by accessibility is that in addition to my nexus 4, I also own a ipad mini. Before when I had my iPhone 5, all apps that I purchased with my phone were accessible to download on my tablet. Most of them had a optimized tablet version even. However, not at I'm in two ecosystems, I have to pick and choose what I download on each or I'm finding myself repurchasing apps on android that I already bought on iOS. This cannot be avoided and I've accepted that this is how it is when you have devices on competing ecosystems, but it's still irritating me.

I'm considering doing all my games purchases on ipad if there is a iOS equivalent for the game and then using my nexus for apps that need or benefit from constant data access.

3. The apple store: I always felt kinda at ease owning a iPhone because I knew if it spazed out, I only needed to take a 25 minute drive to the nearest apple store to have it looked at. With android, I have to go through company's return processes to have them look at it. Which requires me to wait 3 to 5 or more business days for my shipment to even reach the company to have them look at it. Then I have to wait until they ship it back to me.

4. Battery life: I remember being able to get through a whole day of my normal use using the iPhone and have it be comfortable. With my nexus 4, I found e battery life to be not on par. And I actually bout a portable battery pack because I would find my phone dying before the end of the day with my moderate to heavy use. (Grant it, battery life is subjective and I admit to using my phone constantly through the day with podcasts, music, Internet, and etc.)

5. Accesories: this is a minor point, but it was pretty hard finding a nexus 4 case I liked. There's only a few cases right now for it, where as with my iPhone I could usually find dozens of different cases, even if I just went with otterbox every time. Again, this is a issue I have with e nexus 4 more than anything. I'm not sure how the case and accessories market is for phones like the galaxy S3 and S 4 and the HTC One. But it does seem on average there's a good deal more of iOS accessories than android accessories, atleast quality ones.

6. I feel like ios is just a tad more stable: I'm not saying that 4.2 jelly bean is unstable by any reasonable means, but I have noticed some hitches and bugs with certain apps or with performance. These hitches only happened maybe a handful of times I thinks o where they were noticeable, but it was still more than I remember having on my iPhone.

7. App quality: there's just more app quality to most apps on ios I think. They seem to run better on the whole, although the apps I do have on my nexus that I also had on my iPhone 5 did run about the same. But I still think there were more hitches on android.

Really, I am impressed how far android has progressed in just the few years since I bout my original smartphone, the HTC Inspire. It's more stable, Rees better apps then there was, and the whole platform is just more mature and good.

However, I'm not 100 percent sure if I'm as satisfied With it as I was with iOS. I know there's a ton of great buzz around android and some doomsay around apple right now in the phone space, but these are just my observations. I can't say for sure yet if I'm going to stick with android and not get another Iphone when I get the chance.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I should probaly state that I'm kinda the type of person that gets swayed depending on what I listen to and read, so maybe this is all coming up because I've listened to a iOS and Mac podcast, but I think these observations are in line with what I'm really feeling.

About 3 months or so ago I sold my iPhone 5 on ebay and purchased a Nexus 4. I wanted to dip my toe into android and the phone space is better to do that I think than the tablet space.

Originally, I sold the iPhone because I was with iOS since the iPhone 4 and I wanted to branch out and try something new. And ere were alot of cool stuff that android did compared to ios. (Google now. Customization, widgets, better integration with maps, and etc.)

Although there's quite a bit I like about android and my nexus 4, there were some things I'm missing from my iPhone and iOS experience (note that some of these might just be issues I have with the nexus 4):

1. Build quality: I loved my iPhones premium build quality. From my time owning the iPhone, I never had sticky buttons, felt t was too cheap, and etc. my nexus 4s power button is getting flush with the phone, removing that satisfying clicks feel.

2. Apps: this goes for variety and accessibility. What I mean by accessibility is that in addition to my nexus 4, I also own a ipad mini. Before when I had my iPhone 5, all apps that I purchased with my phone were accessible to download on my tablet. Most of them had a optimized tablet version even. However, not at I'm in two ecosystems, I have to pick and choose what I download on each or I'm finding myself repurchasing apps on android that I already bought on iOS. This cannot be avoided and I've accepted that this is how it is when you have devices on competing ecosystems, but it's still irritating me.

I'm considering doing all my games purchases on ipad if there is a iOS equivalent for the game and then using my nexus for apps that need or benefit from constant data access.

3. The apple store: I always felt kinda at ease owning a iPhone because I knew if it spazed out, I only needed to take a 25 minute drive to the nearest apple store to have it looked at. With android, I have to go through company's return processes to have them look at it. Which requires me to wait 3 to 5 or more business days for my shipment to even reach the company to have them look at it. Then I have to wait until they ship it back to me.

4. Battery life: I remember being able to get through a whole day of my normal use using the iPhone and have it be comfortable. With my nexus 4, I found e battery life to be not on par. And I actually bout a portable battery pack because I would find my phone dying before the end of the day with my moderate to heavy use. (Grant it, battery life is subjective and I admit to using my phone constantly through the day with podcasts, music, Internet, and etc.)

5. Accesories: this is a minor point, but it was pretty hard finding a nexus 4 case I liked. There's only a few cases right now for it, where as with my iPhone I could usually find dozens of different cases, even if I just went with otterbox every time. Again, this is a issue I have with e nexus 4 more than anything. I'm not sure how the case and accessories market is for phones like the galaxy S3 and S 4 and the HTC One. But it does seem on average there's a good deal more of iOS accessories than android accessories, atleast quality ones.

6. I feel like ios is just a tad more stable: I'm not saying that 4.2 jelly bean is unstable by any reasonable means, but I have noticed some hitches and bugs with certain apps or with performance. These hitches only happened maybe a handful of times I thinks o where they were noticeable, but it was still more than I remember having on my iPhone.

7. App quality: there's just more app quality to most apps on ios I think. They seem to run better on the whole, although the apps I do have on my nexus that I also had on my iPhone 5 did run about the same. But I still think there were more hitches on android.

Really, I am impressed how far android has progressed in just the few years since I bout my original smartphone, the HTC Inspire. It's more stable, Rees better apps then there was, and the whole platform is just more mature and good.

However, I'm not 100 percent sure if I'm as satisfied With it as I was with iOS. I know there's a ton of great buzz around android and some doomsay around apple right now in the phone space, but these are just my observations. I can't say for sure yet if I'm going to stick with android and not get another Iphone when I get the chance.

Fully agree with ALL of your points, but customisation and a bigger screen is a very important thing for me so I will be staying with my awesome N4:)

dylanrod24

May 6, 2013
Visit site
If your not 100% pleased with your nexus 4 you can look at other android devices. Fortunately there is a huge variety of android phones so maybe have a look around and see what other android phone might work better for you than your nexus 4.

Sent from my XT907

gregory_opera

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Obviously you haven't had a look at the Xperia Z if you're complaining about usage times...

From memory, the talk-time is up to around 13 hours and the standby time is up to around 550 hours - I'm what most users would call a "power user" and in Real World terms, this equates to about two days with light use, a full day with "typical" use or 3/4 of day for heavy use.

The build quality is also fantastic, and on-par (if not better than) the iPhone 5...

Sent wirelessly from my Sony Xperia Z, using the "Android Central Forums" app...

nickndfl

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
If you had a computer and used the Google Chrome browser or any other Android tablet/device, all of your contacts, favorites, etc. migrate to every device automatically. I never understood Apple, but Google speaks to me.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
If you had a computer and used the Google Chrome browser or any other Android tablet/device, all of your contacts, favorites, etc. migrate to every device automatically. I never understood Apple, but Google speaks to me.

Same thing happens with safari and apple.

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I did like that. Since I use Chrome on my PC. But to be fair, chrome is on iOS. it's not as good compared to on android, but it's good enough.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I did like that. Since I use Chrome on my PC. But to be fair, chrome is on iOS. it's not as good compared to on android, but it's good enough.

Its because of apples limitation, which sucks. Google is a big name they won't do anything dodgy if they are allowed to implement the nitro engine.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Great post your brought some good points and some room for discussion.

No doubt the iPhone is a very stylish phone, but this is something that is very subjective and personal. For instance I prefer the Samsung galaxy S design over the iPhone because it is lighter, has a larger screen and no button. And while it is plastic it's still a solid phone.

But I will also add the strength Android is your not limited to one phone you can choose whatever style fits your needs.

2. Apps: Difference...
This really isn't an Android thing it's just a different platform thing. The apps that you buy on your Mac/Windows will not work on your iPad either.

3. The apple store:.
This is a very good point and very valid.
While I've always felt like Apple products where sub par, Apple's support is among the best.

4. Battery life:
This is not really an Android issue, believe it or not there are some Android phones that kick the snot out of Apple's phone when it comes to battery life.
What I've found is Android high end devices have larger screen sizes which are the number one drain on the battery. My kids have the dart, which has a small screen size than the iPhone, that phone goes days on a single charge.

Also while I much prefer Android multitasking solution over all the other OSs it does make it the most vulnerable to battery drain apps like Pulse can kill your battery if they constantly churn in the background.

5. Accesories:
100% Agree this is even a bigger issue with Android tablets.

I think that might have been true a few years back especially concerning app quality, but is far from the truth today.

At home my we have an iPad, iPods, Galaxy Player, and an Android tablet.

By far we have far more technical issues with the Apple devices. This is both with hardware and software.

Not sure I agree, this was true in the past, but today I feel this is a two way street, I couldn't imagine typing without Swype or SwiftKey. Also the best reading app I've ever used only exist on Android.
Likewise there are some really neat apps on Apple I would like to see on Android, like Notability.
One thing I will say is for small development houses I don't look for their ported apps because usually the port is poorly done, I look for equivalent apps.

Again great post
=X=

Eruditass

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I've always been torn between Android and iOS (or even WP8) since a lot comes down to tweaking or just using it without thinking and effort.

I want to do the latter to make better use of my time, but I can't help it, so here I am.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I've always been torn between Android and iOS (or even WP8) since a lot comes down to tweaking or just using it without thinking and effort.

I want to do the latter to make better use of my time, but I can't help it, so here I am.

You know, I actually went with android from ios because I thought I'd love tinkering with android. Turns out I find it kinda annoying. I kinda feel like I need to always manage my phone so apps don't misbehave and such all my battery.

Also, I think that level of control (with android) kinda just made me more paranoid I was going to mess something up somehow.

I think of myself as a person educated in tech, but still, somethings I don't want complete control and access to final code or settings or whatever. I just want to run properly and we'll whenever I pull it out of my pocket

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
You know, I actually went with android from ios because I thought I'd love tinkering with android. Turns out I find it kinda annoying. I kinda feel like I need to always manage my phone so apps don't misbehave and such all my battery.

Also, I think that level of control (with android) kinda just made me more paranoid I was going to mess something up somehow.

I think of myself as a person educated in tech, but still, somethings I don't want complete control and access to final code or settings or whatever. I just want to run properly and we'll whenever I pull it out of my pocket

Yeah I understand. Personally I love being responsible for my phone and messing around.

Nuttz565

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
To add to your post here is the things that Im still missing from iOS, yet I still love the Android platform and plan on staying here for its flexibilities-
1.Here is my number one gripe with Android. On my iPhone I could record a 30sec or 3 mintute video in HD and send it via MMS.The iPhone would reduce the size of the video on the fly and send it out. I have never been able to find a solution for Android on this, it will just simply tell you the file is to large to send. Yes I know there are Dropbox and other work a rounds but Android really needs to look into this so that you can send a video to your Grandma and she can see it easily.
2. Group messaging. I think Android is finally coming around with this but I still have issues group messaging with my iPhone friends. They need to make a standard so that this "just" works.
3.Better cloud integration- On my iPhone if I say for instance lost my iPhone I could walk into a Apple store enter my iCloud information and my new phone would restore to almost the exact same state as it was before. Google is no where near this and I wish in the future they make a good cloud solution for backing up( you can do this with titanium back up but most of the general population does not even know what rooting is)
I'm hoping in the near future Android will have these features

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
To add to your post here is the things that Im still missing from iOS, yet I still love the Android platform and plan on staying here for its flexibilities-
1.Here is my number one gripe with Android. On my iPhone I could record a 30sec or 3 mintute video in HD and send it via MMS.The iPhone would reduce the size of the video on the fly and send it out. I have never been able to find a solution for Android on this, it will just simply tell you the file is to large to send. Yes I know there are Dropbox and other work a rounds but Android really needs to look into this so that you can send a video to your Grandma and she can see it easily.
2. Group messaging. I think Android is finally coming around with this but I still have issues group messaging with my iPhone friends. They need to make a standard so that this "just" works.
3.Better cloud integration- On my iPhone if I say for instance lost my iPhone I could walk into a Apple store enter my iCloud information and my new phone would restore to almost the exact same state as it was before. Google is no where near this and I wish in the future they make a good cloud solution for backing up( you can do this with titanium back up but most of the general population does not even know what rooting is)
I'm hoping in the near future Android will have these features

Try helium for back ups . I mean understand though,they need to inter grate it better

Posted via Android Central App

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Had my N4 about the same amount of time, no problems with buttons so far. To put things in perspective, people do return iPhones for buttons too. Any phone for that matter. Buttons are buttons.

The iPad is ahead of Android right now in terms of the number of tablet optimized apps, but the gap is closing

that's an advantage Apple has over everyone, agreed

I find battery life subjective. I easily get a full day out of my Nexus 4, but I find new android owners seem to leave a lot of things running in the background they don't need to and suffer battery hits because of that.

Brick and mortar? Yup. There's no shortage of premium cases for Nexus 4 online though.

Your glitches are 99.9% likely to do with those app developers, not Android or the N4. I've run into problems as well but they were caused by 3rd party app devs. Apple has tighter controls so it happens less often with iOS. But it's not 100% free of it either, quite a few iPhone apps have been known to be buggy. Your #6 point is caused by your #7 point, not the OS itself.

Unless Apple does more to open up iOS than just change the skeumorphism of the apps and icon appearances, I won't leave Android. For all of your above mentioned points, the power of the OS and the amount of functionality it has over iOS without having to "jailbreak" (and even then) is too far ahead to give up. I'd give yourself more time to really dig deep into Android's tips and tricks and power uses, 3 months is barely dipping your toes in the pool ;) Research, research, research.

iOS "just works" but to paraphrase what someone said here recently Android "just works and MORE"

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm getting excited To see a high res nexus 7 because my ipad mini display is kinda bugging me. The high res might be better for my comixology reading. But I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with the new nexus 7, or just buy the retina ipad mini when it hits as well.

Again, I'm nervous that investing in two different ecosystems is going to be too costly for app purchases. It almost feels cheaper going the same one operating system for both phone and tablet.

I suppose I could get the new nexus 7 to see if I like it's app ecosystem and feel. It's not TOO expensive after all

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I
Again, I'm nervous that investing in two different ecosystems is going to be too costly for app purchases. It almost feels cheaper going the same one operating system for both phone and tablet.
This is an argument that baffles me. You've dropped $400 on your mini $300 or more on your nexus 4. Are talking about dropping another $200+ on a new nexus. You're coming from an iPhone paying close to $1500(including monthly bill).

And your having a heart attack because you have to spend a few more dollars to have the same app on both platforms?

Hardware is useless without the software and the software is dirt cheap, support the guys that make both software platforms worth while on having.

Hell people spend more money on my morning coffee than do on apps... that most of us consider indispensable.

=X=

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You can implement Nitro for any app if you jailbreak using Nitrous.

Its because of apples limitation, which sucks. Google is a big name they won't do anything dodgy if they are allowed to implement the nitro engine.

As an iOS user since the beginning, and a Mac user since 1984, who has also owned Android phones for years I think Apple needs to do several things. In order of importance IMHO.
1. Allow replacement of core apps like keyboards. I think a smaller percentage of users do this than people her realize but it's still important. You can do that with jailbreaking such as making Chrome and Google Maps the default but you shouldn't have to jailbreak to do that.
2. Improvements to notifications. I don't care about widgets and don't use them on Android but ii wouldn't hurt to have them. You can have widgets on a jailbroken iPhone.
3. Battery life is now sufficient to allow full multi-tasking.
4. Larger screen, 5 inches would be perfect. Yes this breaks resolution and apps in a fragmentation sort of way but I think it's important enough to do that.
5. Improve the quality and functionality of cloud services. iCloud does a lot of things Android users seem unaware of like application state and data syncing but it can do more and data syncing could be more reliable.

I think inter application communications on iOS is fine, most of the apps i use that I want to talk to other apps feature that built in. You don't need to expose personal information and increase the risk of malware by making it more open.

If you are coming from an iOS device I recommend you go with a Nexus phone. Jelly Bean on it's own has an excellent U/I and is almost completely lag free. It doesn't hurt that all Nexus devices are sold at or slightly below cost.
I'm watching Google I/O now hoping they will announce an LTE Nexus 4 so I can replace my Note 2 with it on Verizon or even AT&T if I must.

It is to everyone's benefit to have a strong and healthy iOS and Android market because competition is good for us. Especially those of us who use both devices.