Google Play Music is awesome but....

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm really enjoying the new Google Play Music service thing. Really really awesome....but holy crap does it use a ton of data! I thought other streaming music apps were bad but this just burns through data.

Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it's because it's also syncing your whole cloud music library, as opposed to streaming music apps that are only concerned with streaming the current song. What happens if you turn sync off when using Google Music?

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I thought you were going to say but $9.99 is not worth it.

Well it would be 7.99 a month for me currently but I'm still wondering if I'll continue after trial. $7.99 or $9.99 isn't very much and I do stream music a lot so I might, having access to full albums instead of a random radio stream is really nice to have without storing music files and taking storage space.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it's well worth the money. Having unlimited access to their entire library is pretty huge; especially being able to listen to an entire album, instead of starting with a song and having it pick things it thinks you'll like (radio mode) you can actually just check out a collection. Of course, the data thing could be a turn-off for people and that's understandable. Maybe it's meant to be for wifi or maybe Google doesn't understand that people have tiered data plans? I think in their mind(s) the internet should be free...

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm having the same issue. I like it more than spotify currently, mainly because of the integration with my own music collection. However, the data consumption is troubling. I turned off the cache during playback in settings, going to see if that helps at all.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy S III i747 running cm10.1 m1

NightRacer

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Im new here, an looking to get an HTC One at the end of the month, so im spending all my free time reading up it.
Are yall saying that Google Play Music lets you play any album available for $10 a month? Thats insane. Can you 'bookmark' albums you like, or store them somewhere, or download them? Music/music playing is a big feature for me, and if I can replace my Zune software then all the better. Im all about Pandora, but I dont like limited skips. Maybe ill have to mod it. Who knows.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Im new here, an looking to get an HTC One at the end of the month, so im spending all my free time reading up it.
Are yall saying that Google Play Music lets you play any album available for $10 a month? Thats insane. Can you 'bookmark' albums you like, or store them somewhere, or download them? Music/music playing is a big feature for me, and if I can replace my Zune software then all the better. Im all about Pandora, but I dont like limited skips. Maybe ill have to mod it. Who knows.

You can add an album to your library anytime and it stores on you Google account. You can create a radio station based on an artist or play from an album. Its all access to Googles music collection so tons of albums. Its waaay better then anything I've used for a music app but it uses tons of data. After two days of using it I'm at 1GB of used data and that's with about 20 songs played.

I have 3GB cap on my account with 24 days left this month so ya gonna stick to WiFi until they make it a little better for cellular data.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Are yall saying that Google Play Music lets you play any album available for $10 a month? Thats insane.
Maybe I'm missing something but that feature has existed with Rhapsody, Pandora, Slacker Radio, and a few others for some time at the same price. I don't get the excitement with Google Music doing this.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something but that feature has existed with Rhapsody, Pandora, Slacker Radio, and a few others for some time at the same price. I don't get the excitement with Google Music doing this.

Pandora let's you search for an album and play all the tracks in it without playing some random artist? Never saw that when I used Pandora.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Most of those will let you play a single track of your choice, but not whole album in order .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Sony Music Unlimited gives you the option to download albums on the phone to listen to in offline mode, saving on data. I'm sure Google Music has this feature too.

Sent from my Sony Xperia P

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about Pandora, I never cared for it, but I know Rhapsody does allow that.
Rhapsody definitely does, it's a great way to hear other songs by artists you like but don't want a whole album, but I think it's a lot more than $10 per month.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
They've dropped the price a few years back, it was, $15 but now it's $10... unless they raised the price

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed this as well. I was using the old version of play this month and 15 days into my billing cycle I was at gig of data usage. Once I started using the updated app my data usage went through the freakin roof! Please see the attached the photo you can see the gradual use and then a huge spike!

I never experienced this when I was just listening to my own music that I uploaded to the cloud.

I'm really enjoying the new Google Play Music service thing. Really really awesome....but holy crap does it use a ton of data! I thought other streaming music apps were bad but this just burns through data.

Anyone else notice this?

Screenshot_2013-05-16-18-15-51.png

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I just started using greenify today, an app that can make other apps go into hibernation when not in use. Seems to be doing the trick so far. Doesn't appear to be affecting streaming playback either, which is what I was afraid of. I'll report back in a day or two with my findings.

P.S. this app requires root.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy S III i747 running cm10.1 m1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress