Want to upgrade (s3 vs s4)

Arnie Jenkens

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the Razr Maxx (verizon) right now and I want to upgrade, mainly because it feels so laggy and slow all the time. Especially switching apps it takes like 10 seconds sometimes for the keyboard to go way when switching from the browser to the video player. Even bringing up the keyboard in a text editor tends to lag. The ram usually hovers around 90% full so I'm wondering if going to a 2GB phone will make it more responsive? Sometimes it gets really laggy and I have to restart the phone every few days.

Right now I'm looking at the Galaxy S3 or S4. Is it worth the extra money to get the S4. I don't really care about the 1080p screen. (720p should be enough for anyone). My main criteria are that I want a phone that is responsive switching between and loading apps and has enough battery life to get through the day with moderate usage. Everything else is extra.

What do you guys recommend?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The added RAM that you get with the S3/S4 is due to the Touchwiz UI requiring more RAM.

If you're not all up for the 1080p display you could go with the S3 and be happy. The S3 is not outdated by any means...

Arnie Jenkens

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the battery life depend on the person's usage of the phone?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

On a heavy day, I spend maybe 1-2 hours with the screen on. I never try to watch movies or play games on it. Mostly I just want to use the GPS, look up things quickly, surf the internet, check email and listen to audio on it.

Last edited:

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
So is it worth it to spend the extra 130 to get a GS4?

I think so man. Go with the S4.....s3 is not outdated but everything new in it, is worth every penny from what i see. Battery should last you 10-15% more on the S4 considering same usage and signal quality. I just got my S3 in December and I don't regret it. Coming from a similar standpoint like u, I had an old Evo 4G which was lag king with everything I normally use.
My S3 is snappy even on power saving mode, so I can't imagine how good it is on the S4.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

Tele_Phone

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I never had an s3 but id definetly recommend an s4. I always have plenty of ram and battery life is excellent. Probably not as good as your Max with its 3000mah battery but I am a fairly moderate user and I get a good full day with my s4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
You may want to dink around a bit with tryign to speed up your current phone. Sometimes clearing the cache partition:

Wipe Cache Partition - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA

And getting rid of apps you don't need that may be hogging RAM might help.

The S3 isn't out of date now, but in two years it will be three years old. It sort of seems like phones aren't getting as outdated as quickly anymore so that may not be an issue in two years, but people who say stuff like that get proven wrong all the time. The S3 does have the 2GB of RAM so you'll be just as well off in that department.

The S4 screen is an upgrade in more than just PPI, too. There's a comparison out there that shows the other ways they have improved it over the S3:

Galaxy S4 Display Technology Shoot-Out

The other part that's different is the cameras. You get higher MP cameras in the S4.

Whether $130 is "worth" it will depend on what $130 is "worth" to you. Is the faster processor, better screen and camera plus all the little odds and ends "worth" $5.42/month for two years? You can compare that to your monthly bill to get some perspective on how much of a difference that is. If you're worried about the S3 not performing as well in 2 years then it may be worth it just to know you did everything you could to prevent worrying about your current phone becoming obsolete before your contract is up.

Arnie Jenkens

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Weird question: I was playing with the S4 (non verizon version) at best buy today, and I talked to the rep and said that I wanted to pay the early termination fee so I could upgrade my phone early. He said this was impossible, that I had to cancel my current contract, get a brand new phone number, then start a new two year contract. Has anyone else heard this before?

pmcardle

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I have.. I called Verizon to see about getting an early upgrade to the S4 since my Bionic is acting wonky now. I am up for my upgrade discount in August, I could early upgrade for any other phone but the S4 or iPhone 5.. They told me due to the popularity of the S4, it is still in the iconic portal and I would have to check back in late June to see when it would be lifted. It's in the popular phone category or something and they have it locked out for early upgrades. So I am going to call them again in June and see..

Last edited:

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I have.. I called Verizon to see about getting an early upgrade to the S4 since my Bionic is acting wonky now. I am up for my upgrade discount in August, I could early upgrade for any other phone but the S4 or iPhone 5.. They told me due to the popularity of the S4, it is still in the iconic portal and I would have to check back in late June to see when it would be lifted. It's in the popular phone category or something and they have it locked out for early upgrades. So I am going to call them again in June and see..

B.S.

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, theoretically, if the early termination fee is paid, that tells the carrier that you are cancelling service for a fee.

It would be up to them as to how your account is handled from there.

Odds are that they would try to get you to sign a new contract with their new terms and conditions that may not be customer favorable in some ways.

You would be better off, it sounds, to ride it out and upgrade when your time is at hand, to avoid any unnecessary headaches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Arnie Jenkens

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not ordering with verizon. I'm ordering with wirefly. So what happens when I fill in all the boxes and hit submit. Does verizon just say GTFO or do they switch over my account to the new phone?

wirefly_kim

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Verizon will notify us that this is an unidentified upgrade if you use your current number. If you are using your current number, and it isnt eligible for upgrade, Verizon will let us know that before we can process your order. If you order with a new number Verizon will notify us that you are an existing customer. Either one will flag the order and we will ask you contact us.

The only way to get a new number and not have Verizon notify us that you are an existing customer is to cancel your current account, pay any ETF they charge you, and wait 30 days for the account to clear their billing cycle - then you can get the phone from us or any authorized retailer as a new phone/new customer. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac