iPad alternative ... Nexus, Asus Transformer, Sony, Samsung etc

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

1) Additional Tablet

Thinking of buying a Google/Asus Nexus 7... but then just read the 2nd gen maybe released soon:
Google to sell second-gen Nexus 7 tablet from July: sources | Reuters

I want something for my wife and 2 year old daughter to use.
I have the iPad 3, and the iPhone is too small for my wife to use, but she still does anyway.
Another iPad is too expensive, as much as I love it.

Not sure if a 7" is too small, and I should be looking at the Nexus 10??!
Wife already has an iPhone ... and has got used to the larger screen of the iPad, but we have never experienced a 7" tablet device.

2) iPad alternative?

(The Asus Tranformer Pad Infinity looks good too! ... but too expensive for the wife, unless I give her my iPad and use this for work (mainly use Numbers on the Apple). I do love the iPad, so something has to be 'better', in every sense!

On a side note, is this better the iPad 3/4? - as you can plug USB drives into it, as you can with the Nexus 7)
15 best Android tablets in the world | News | TechRadar
"Android has an OTF cable (less than ?2 on eBay) and and app called Nexus Media Importer (Also less than ?2). With only a little knowledge, it means you can plug a USB drive into your Nexus... "

What are your thoughts, on both points?

Transformer Prime TF201 32gb (Autobots... Transform!! 8) )
Asus Transformer Prime review | Tablets Reviews | TechRadar

?580
Asus EeePad Transformer Prime TF201 10.1 inch Tablet with Keyboard/Dock - Grey (Nvidia Tegra 3 Quad Core 1.3GHz, RAM 1GB, Storage 32GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Android 3.2): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Transformer Infinity TF700 64gb
Asus Transformer Pad Infinity review | Tablets Reviews | TechRadar

?800
Asus Transformer TF700 10.1-inch Tablet with Keyboard Dock (Gold) (nVIDIA Tegra 3 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 64GB eMMC, WLAN, BT, Front Webcam, Rear Webcam, Android 4.0 ICS): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The main difference:
"Infinity has 1920 x 1200 resolution in place of the Prime's 1280 x 800, although the brightness has been kept at 600nits."

Prime is 12g lighter and has more battery power, compared to Asus website comparison.
Prime no longer available in 64gb? Just 32gb.

Is it worth the extra ?230?

Transformer Pad TF300
A higher number denotes an upgrade to the Prime 201, but I can't see how, just the Bluetooth version from 2.1 to 3?
Everything else is inferior, heavier at 635g as opposed to 586kg for Prime, and 598g for Infinity, thicker at 9.9m as opposed to 8.3m, and Prime/Infinity both have Super IPS+ screens, TF300 is just IPS.

?420
Asus TF300T 10.1-inch Multitouch Tablet with Keyboard (Blue) (Nvidia Tegra 3 1.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 32GB HDD, WLAN, BT, 2x Cam, Android 4.0): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

So should I keep the iPad for myself and work use, used as a laptop replacement, and games, apps, media, maps etc all the time!
or should I give the Apple to the wife and buy something else, any of the above, something else, or wait for new versions to come out in the next month or two, etc...??

I look forward to hearing from you all !!
SuperXstyle

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I guess the sensible thing is to

* ME: keep the iPad 3 64gb for myself, for work as it already has an unlimited data download plan with Three on 3G & WiFi;

* WIFE: buy the new Nexus 7 or 10 when it launches in July, and should be better than all the other products out there, with a decent price. If 3G or LTE model available then great otherwise WiFi model will be acceptable.

KaterinaM

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
So should I keep the iPad for myself and work use, used as a laptop replacement, and games, apps, media, maps etc all the time!
or should I give the Apple to the wife and buy something else, any of the above, something else, or wait for new versions to come out in the next month or two, etc...??
SuperXstyle

It depends on
1) do you want a new tablet?
2) what does your wife want?
3) what is the money limit you have?
Speak to your wife, I think she will recommend something that will fit your most.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a whole lot of experience with different Android tablets, but I do have a 2 year old.

We have a Galaxy 2 7" tablet that we got on Black Friday for $180. We actually bought it for my mother-in-law but after she opened it she also opened a new iPad from her husband. She opted to keep the iPad and my daughter and I share the Galaxy tablet. Performance wise it's a little long of tooth, but it functions well. We use it mostly for a distraction for our daughter when we need her to sit still for a while so it's mostly used for Netflix and YouTube.

She doesn't care at all that it's 7" rather than 10". The 7" is nice because it's easy to carry around, but it's still too big to use with one hand. So portability is better with the smaller size if you're going to put it in a carry on or diaper bag, but the only time the smaller size seems to be nicer when using it is for reading books. That being said, I don't mind using the 7" screen, either. It's definitely better than a phone for books, web browsing and most other things that you'd want to use two hands for.

So, if you can wait for the next generation, I'd do it. My biggest complaint with the Galaxy is that it's a bit sluggish (not that it's terrible, just not super quick, but IMO excellent for the money). If you plan on your daughter using it the most the smaller size might be nice because it's more portable. If it will mainly be your (or your wife's) tablet and won't be carried around outside the house a lot then the 10" form factor might be better. If it's something in between you'll have to be more specific or weigh the differences yourself.

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Asus Fonepad. 180 quid carphone warehouse. brilliant bit of kit. same screen as nexus 7 ,3g,micro sd,wifi,bluetooth make and recieve calls text etc.

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
It depends on
1) do you want a new tablet?
2) what does your wife want?
3) what is the money limit you have?
Speak to your wife, I think she will recommend something that will fit your most.

1) I always want new shiny things! If its better than an iPad for work functionality, then yes, but will be very hard to beat! Otherwise less spec or cheaper is perfect for home/wife/child use.

2) she will have anything, relies on me to tell her about tech. I feel sorry for her using that small crappy iPhone 5 screen for everything when I am busy on the iPad or at work

3) I guess around ?300 is fine? Depends on the spec, otherwise happy with sub ?200 for nexus.

Thanks.

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Asus Fonepad. 180 quid carphone warehouse. brilliant bit of kit. same screen as nexus 7 ,3g,micro sd,wifi,bluetooth make and recieve calls text etc.

Thanks, considered after reading this suggestion. Seen the review and your associated comment....
Asus Fonepad Review | Mobile Phones | CNET UK

If it was a forthcoming new Nexus 7.2 type model, then I would consider getting it...
For myself, need something more powerful... for the wife, she doesn't need the phone connectivity.

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a whole lot of experience with different Android tablets, but I do have a 2 year old.

We have a Galaxy 2 7" tablet that ... use it mostly for a distraction for our daughter when we need her to sit still for a while so it's mostly used for Netflix and YouTube.

She doesn't care at all that it's 7" rather than 10". The 7" is nice because it's easy to carry around, but it's still too big to use with one hand. So portability is better with the smaller size if you're going to put it in a carry on or diaper bag, but the only time the smaller size seems to be nicer when using it is for reading books. That being said, I don't mind using the 7" screen, either. It's definitely better than a phone for books, web browsing and most other things that you'd want to use two hands for.

So, if you can wait for the next generation, I'd do it. My biggest complaint with the Galaxy is that it's a bit sluggish (not that it's terrible, just not super quick, but IMO excellent for the money). If you plan on your daughter using it the most the smaller size might be nice because it's more portable. If it will mainly be your (or your wife's) tablet and won't be carried around outside the house a lot then the 10" form factor might be better. If it's something in between you'll have to be more specific or weigh the differences yourself.

My wife would prefer the 10" size better.
However I know she will be scared to take it out of the house and hold it in public in fear of getting mugged, so the 7" is far better to store away in her handbag.

Our daughter would use any screen, currently plays with a "LeapPad2", so will be good with a 7" screen.
Though loves my iPad! (Shouts for "daddy's pad") lol. Mainly will be used in the house though, so again dilemma with the 10".
Either way, it looks like Nexus 7 or 10 gen2 models are the way forward...?

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, considered after reading this suggestion. Seen the review and your associated comment....
Asus Fonepad Review | Mobile Phones | CNET UK

If it was a forthcoming new Nexus 7.2 type model, then I would consider getting it...
For myself, need something more powerful... for the wife, she doesn't need the phone connectivity.
phone connectivity is a bonus. with 3g your always internet connected, not a slave to wifi. 7" sat nav , 12 quid a month Virgin mobile sim only. unlimited data, unlimited sms and 150 min phone

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Visited John Lewis, ad have to say that the iPad Mini just stood out against all the others.
Nexus 7 looked very dated, Galaxy Note 8" and larger 10" models looked good.
Windows Surface RT also was pleasant, as was the Sony Xperia. However the iPad stood out.
64gb iPad Mini was ?529 wifi and 3G, so happy to spend up to that much really.
Anniversary next week, and then wife's birthday next month.... so I could wait until next month...

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Just read about the new Nexus 7.2 ... will wait to see how that is first!
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet/297828-nexus-7-announcement-coming.html

Hopefully my wife will get on with it, and we can import her music and photos from the iPhone easily.

One question I have, if I might use it, or indeed may even need to replace the iPad for myself is that my work are trialling a new database, which is windows based and not compatible with the Cloud services.... will Android be able to run it?
I know a Windows based tablet will, like the RT Surface, or even Asus Transformer that I mentioned originally.
The other database we looked at, and is unlikely at the moment due to cost of licences etc, is based on Microsoft Dynamics.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
This year has been all about the phone.
Maybe the second half of the year will have more tablet products.

The only vendor that has refreshed their tablet line is Toshiba Excite. Their 10" line are now rocking a Tegra4.

I'll be honest though from reading your post your plenty informed about what's out there I say just pull the trigger and don't spend so much energy on indecision, you'd be enjoying any product you pick by now several months over.

There are many apps that can import iTunes content to the Android phone. Look for double twist.. I think. Also I do believe that for Apple products image don't have to go through iTunes. So you can copy your images from the PC via usb.

No Android will not run windows apps. You can use the transformer and dual boot but it will not be a the Android platform running the app. Android also went with a different java engine so java apps will not even work across these platform.

Rocking with the Note II

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
This is an interesting site: iPad v Microsoft RT
Windows vs. iPad: Compare tablets - Microsoft Windows

I get what you mean about being indecisive, and spending that time enjoying whichever product, after all will have pros and cons... but I just have to be anal in my research lol ... it's how I was built ;-)

Very interested in the new Transformer Infinity 2013 too... and this would then me I have this and pass existing iPad 3 to wifey.
- http://forums.androidcentral.com/as...-700/285448-new-transformer-pad-infinity.html
- Asus Transformer Pad Infinity - Tablets - CNET Reviews

The video of the older Prime looks fantastic, so the newer version will be mind blowing!
ASUS Transformer Prime Ice Cream Sandwich video

I guess if I do get the Nexus 7.2, my 2 year daughter could keep that... but a bit expensive as a toy!!!

Last edited:

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I own the Asus Transformer Prime and it's an awesome tablet. The attachable keyboard makes it the best. (I've had BT keybaords , USB and similar but the integrated keyboard of the Transformer is unrivaled)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze