Bringing Google Now to the Android homescreen

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that I am really impressed with Google Now and the new "card" UI that Google is increasingly developing. I think that the cards concept is very intuitive and user friendly, but I also feel that by operating as an application, the card function is somewhat limiting unless you use Google Now as a widget. That's because cards provide information that should be more relatively accessible to the user than opening an app (e.g. Weather, traffic).

In thinking about the evolution of Android in 4.3 (and even 5.0), I could not help but think of a new radical way for Google to further improve Android. I feel like Android is truly at the point where improvements are far and few between but I think that Google Now is a big start.

It would truly be a big step forward if Google integrated Now into the Android home screen so that the app would appear as a page in the home screen. Of course, the traditional array of app shortcuts and widgets would be available for customization on other pages, but one page would be dedicated to Google Now. I thought of this upon seeing HTC's BlinkFeed, although I have to say that that feature was not as impressive as it appeared. In this regard, users would be able to turn off Google Now but they would be compelled to use it as a powerful and customizable home screen.

More cards could come in the way of message, email, music cards, etc. that are Actionable (e.g. Pausing songs, choosing playlists, responding to text messages, previewing a new email). They could then be swiped away, moving to the notification bar. Users would have the opportunity to pick which cards show up first/which cards don't show up at all.

I think that widgets have often tried and failed to serve this purpose - a quick way to access information from an app and interact with said app without moving from the home screen. But most widgets are poorly designed and hardly actionable. With Now as the home page, those problems are alleviated.

Additionally, I think that Google needs a more accessible home page for its vanilla Android lineup. The Google Now interface screams Google and is truly attractive. Of course, Samsung, HTC, etc. may be inclined to continue using their respective skins, but Now could be integrated into the Android homepage a la iPhone by allowing users to swipe left/right/etc. to access the Now page.
What do you think? Do you believe this change is feasible?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of Google now becoming more of a main focus for Android. I don't don't think it becoming the home screen or something similar to blinkfeed would work. For it to be the home screen it would basically take away from the customization that android users love. I think it would flow right as a main screen then widgets and and apps on the next screen. Many of the app icons don't fit the new Google now style and would just make it look thrown together. They have mock ups of this idea in the Verge android forums. For it to look polished it would almost have to be like facebook home. A complete launcher that Google develops that you get from the play store. The blinkfeed idea could work but you would still have to be able to acesss it from a gesture or button combination from any app. I kind of like the idea of the noficiation drawer becoming Google now. That way all the info is in one place and can be accessed from anywhere. It could work as long as they kept toggles and certain apps like play music pinned as the top cards. What do think about that?

Posted via Android Central App

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I like Google. But I am unsure if I like this change. Kind of seems like bombardment.

I thought the same thing at first but with it becoming the noficiation drawer it wouldnt be force upon you like blink feed.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney