Why aren't all phone makers clear about their Flagship model?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have been researching several phones recently while looking for my first android device as a iPhone switcher.
Finding phone reviews are easy. Getting an opinion about any device is Very easy. People are passionate about their devices.

Of course people that follow ever device announcement with anticipation and excitement are well informed about devices, specs, and tier of the device.
The part that I don't understand about many phone makers is that there are several companies that name their devices with such confusing model numbers, the average customer has No way of understanding which device is the Flagship for the company.

Take Apple and the iPhone: I understand that iPhone 5 is better than iPhone 4, and 4 is better than 3 etc.
Samsung, same thing: S4 is better than S3, Note 2 is better than Note 1
Apple and Samsung make it easy for the average consumer at bestbuy to know which device is the top of the food chain.

Why do other companies make this so confusing? Sony, for example, has all these Lettered endings that for most, doesn't help the average consumer at all:
Experia Z, Experia ZL, Experia S, Experia XYZ, Experia 123 do nothing to help me identify the flagship immediately.
HTC doesn't really get much better: HTC One, HTC 1X, HTC 1S, HTC ABC 123 etc. etc. again does nothing to help anyone know what is HTC's Best of the Best.
In Fact, since "most" phones make it very clear by 5 is better than 4, 4 is better than 3, the HTC system seems backwards.
If I knew nothing about phones, I would assume the HTC 1X is better than the HTC 1. It has more letters in the name, it must be better, Right?
Following HTC's device naming scheme, the HTC Zero will be the end all of all devices. ;p

Since Apple are Samsung follow this easy rule of identification and are the top 2 phone makers in the world, it makes me wonder:
Would other phone manufacturers have more success if they followed this simple rule for phone identification.
HTC's next big thing needs to be simply HTC 2, and then HTC 3 etc. As does the S5 and S6 for Samsung.

As much as I love the LG Optimus G Pro, how do they plan to name their next device so that I know its better? LG Optimus G-to-the-H Pro 2?
Why not simplify this to LG Optimus G1, LG Optimus G2 etc or better yet LG G1, G2 or LG Optimus 1, Optimus 2... leave the 26 other characters out of the name.

Just wondering if anyone else thought of this. Makes me wonder if other phones would be more successful by following easy to identify model numbers.

jus sayin... :p

Last edited:

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
probably just poor internal governance. they are just shooting from the hip. the guys doing it right have a plan and follow it. its hard not to notice

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol