Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By sooner7
  • 1 Post By pontiac005
  • 1 Post By garublador
  • 1 Post By garublador
  • 1 Post By _X_
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    lambeau469's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

    Default Help for a layman - Apple to Android?

    Hello all! I've done some searching around the forums but have found myself becoming more and more confused. I am a current iPhone 4 user who has been due for an upgrade since last fall but have held out not knowing which direction to go. I didn't jump to the 4s or 5 because, frankly, the "updates" were not enough for me to waste my upgrade on. Last June for my birthday I went with an android tablet over an iPad because of the micro sd + USB, flash accessibility, and every other user friendly reason that iOS restrictions suffocated me with. So I'm not entirely unfamiliar with Android as a whole.

    Even though I admit to being tempted into waiting further to see what the next generation iPhone will be in Fall (due mostly to comfort), I'm so frustrated with my current phone that's on its last leg, I am ready for a change, NOW. Unfortunately I know nothing about the internal workings of a phone (or anything technological) and just want something that's fast, with an amazing camera (I've 2 little ones to snap and delays are not welcome), easy customization, basic games, etc. The only complaint I have with Android in the year of using my tablet is the App Store, but since I plan to wipe my iPhone after I get a new phone to use as an iPod over wifi, certain things like Disney Jr. will be willingly sacrificed.

    Now to my questions. I suppose the phones I'm most considering are the S4, LG Pro, HTC One, and Note 2 (or wait for 3?). The problem I'm having is with not understanding specifics, like versions...S4 Google edition is different from the regular S4 how? And Nexus? Is that a version or a brand? LOL, I realize I'm coming across as an ***** but I feel like I need a better understanding of what makes each phone what it is before picking. When I look at spec comparisons and read this processor vs. that processor or see forum posts about using stock launcher vs. things like tech wiz, my brain fizzles. I hear lots of talk about rooting for the best user experience but I won't even attempt something like that, plus don't want to void the warranty. So what is important to have a smooth and speedy phone? I've heard "all the phones are great, it just depends on your needs an preferences," but I don't know what suits me or why one is better for me than another.

    I'm sure I'm not being clear so please ask questions if that will help you better help me. I'm trying to learn the best I can in layman's terms so that I know what to look for and avoid now and in the future. Sorry for my incoherent babbling!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Help for a layman - Apple to Android?

    Google Edition S4 is running stock android straight from google. We'll call this AOSP 4.2.2
    The Samsung Galaxy S4 is running a modified version of android, We'll call this Touchwiz 4.2.2

    Note how both are on Android 4.2.2, same android version, yet look and act totally different.

    Each manufacturer has the freedom to customize android to their heart's desire, hence why we have multiple manufacturers all running seemingly very different Operating Systems/ User interfaces.

    HTC has their own skin called Sense, it is on its 5th iteration, and the One out right now is running Sense 5 on top of Android 4.2.1

    Nexus is google's brand of phones that run stock, unmodified android.

    My suggestion to you is get a Nexus, it has a refined UI, nice hardware build quality, and fast updates from Google. <- All the qualities you found in your iPhone (w/ updates from Apple.)
    Couple this with flexibility and customization of android, and I think you have your perfect phone.

    Hope I helped.
    Thanked by:
    lambeau469 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    lambeau469's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

    Default Re: Help for a layman - Apple to Android?

    Thank you for your quick reply! I don't think the nexus is available through my AT&T upgrade. I'm one who likes my contract...been grandfathered in and with them over 10 years now. I only update my phone every 18-24 months (iPhone 4<---Blackberry 8320<---LG SLVR...etc) so I'm quite picky with where to place my investment since it needs to last and keep me happy a long while amidst constant newly released phones, lol. I've never had an unlocked phone due to the higher cost.

    I'm still a little confused on stock vs modified...what they allow or don't allow. I've read lots of recommendations for nova launcher...what does using something like that afford the user?

    And megapixels...how important are they? My phone is my primary camera...I just don't like lugging around my Point and Shoot day to day...so I've been under the impression that the higher MP's the better the resulting photo. The HtC one is said to be comparable to the s4 even though their rear cameras have a 9mp difference! I just don't understand how this works since I believe my current 2 1/2 yr old POS phone is 1 Mp higher than the One and the quality, while good back when I got it, is craptastic now.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Help for a layman - Apple to Android?

    Wow a lot to read! I can answer the camera question. The higher the mp, the more detail you will see in a picture, especially a larger printed picture such as an 8x10 or larger. Also more details when zoomed or cropped on a computer. To give you an example, if you have a 5mp camera and you take a photo of scenery or a mountain a good distance away, you will not get the detail of that picture compared to a printed out pic from an 8,10 or 13mp camera. Basically you get more detail on larger photos.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    lambeau469 likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Help for a layman - Apple to Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by lambeau469 View Post
    Unfortunately I know nothing about the internal workings of a phone (or anything technological) and just want something that's fast, with an amazing camera (I've 2 little ones to snap and delays are not welcome), easy customization, basic games, etc.
    Of the phones in question I only have experience with the S4 and iPhone 5. The S4 when saving to the SD card has a slight delay and the iPhone has almost none. They both take great pictures. I have the S4 and I have sharp pictures of my 2 year old dancing outdoors. It's not quite as good indoors, but I haven't messed with the settings all that much and it's still pretty good.

    Quote Originally Posted by lambeau469 View Post
    S4 Google edition is different from the regular S4 how?
    As sooner7 said, the Google version is the same version of Android but without most of the manufacturer and carrier software installed. This means that there's fewer of those useless Samsung and Verizon/AT&T apps installed, but there's also no software enhancements to the camera, audio or touchscreen. I have a hard time calling it "stock" Android becasue it's likely that the OS's on the Google versions of the S4 and One won't be identical. They have different hardware (the displays and touch panels are obviously different, there are likely different IC's for peripherals, too) so the OS's likely will have to be tweaked for each phone. So you'll probably get faster OS updates and you won't get unique features (which can be good or bad).

    Quote Originally Posted by lambeau469 View Post
    When I look at spec comparisons and read this processor vs. that processor or see forum posts about using stock launcher vs. things like tech wiz, my brain fizzles.
    The "launcher" is what the user interface looks like. It's how the home screens are set up, how the "dock" at the bottom of the screen looks, how it transitions between home screens, how the lock screen looks and works and how the app drawer looks. So if you don't like how you only get 4 rows and 4 columns in TouchWiz (Android with Samsung changes) you can install the Nova or Apex launchers and they will work instead of the TouchWiz launcher. With them you can change the number of icons you can fit on each screen, how many screens you get, how many icons you get in the "dock", whether or not the "dock" is even there and stuff like that. Launchers change the look and feel of the phone without changing any of the actual functions. All your apps and features still work the same.

    As for the hardware, the major review sites will generally say if one phone is way better or worse from a processor standpoint. AFAIK, all of the phones you mentioned have processors that will all hold up just as well over the next couple of years. IIRC they all have the same amount of RAM, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by lambeau469 View Post
    I hear lots of talk about rooting for the best user experience but I won't even attempt something like that, plus don't want to void the warranty. So what is important to have a smooth and speedy phone? I've heard "all the phones are great, it just depends on your needs an preferences," but I don't know what suits me or why one is better for me than another.
    Mostly people are talking about the frame rate of animations, not about the actual time it takes the phones to perform an activity. It's an aesthetic thing. My experience with the S4 is that you'll get the "choppy" animations if the processor is doing something (updating an app, it just woke up, etc) but otherwise it's super quick. For you rooting will likely be a lot of trouble for very little advantage.
    Thanked by:
    lambeau469 likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Help for a layman - Apple to Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by lambeau469 View Post
    And megapixels...how important are they? My phone is my primary camera...I just don't like lugging around my Point and Shoot day to day...so I've been under the impression that the higher MP's the better the resulting photo. The HtC one is said to be comparable to the s4 even though their rear cameras have a 9mp difference! I just don't understand how this works since I believe my current 2 1/2 yr old POS phone is 1 Mp higher than the One and the quality, while good back when I got it, is craptastic now.
    The One uses pixels that can take in much more light, so less light is required to get a good picture. It's a slightly different technology than is normally used in phones so the megapixel count isn't the whole story. There are some pretty extensive reviews out there comparing the One and the S4. You'll probably get better indoor, moving pictures with the One and better outdoor pictures with the S4. My take on it is that they're pretty comparable.
    Thanked by:
    lambeau469 likes this.
  7. #7  
    _X_
    _X_ is offline
    _X_'s Avatar

    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

    Default Re: Help for a layman - Apple to Android?

    A nexus phone is a Google phone, they put their name on the phone and all updates come from Google. Google changed the game at Google I/O last month by announcing a Google experience with Samsung S4 and then with HTC.

    A phone that is not a nexus usually has enhancements in the OS and launcher to make the phone a unique experience. As an ay to differentiate itself. Not all vendors do this Asus usually puts stock Android. In thus case OS updates come from the vendor and not Google so the delay is much longer, that is if you're lucky to get an update. What I have seen as of last year is most flagship products get updates.

    What is awesome about Android is all phones work great as is w/o the user having to configure the device but if you want more control or something new/different you can easily customize android. Android launchers give such freedom.

    Me personally I hate touchwiz and load my favorite launcher (ADW.Launcher) . I do this to all my Android devices so I have a consistent look and feel for all my devices.

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Now for the recommendation
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    For only $300 you can buy a new unlock Nexus phone from the play store. Without a contract.

    I have the Note2 and love this phone. It's the best phone I've owned. I read a lot and multi task like a demon. This phone us great for those activities. Also the bigger screen makes it easier to type. The quad core processor has not been tasked yet.

    If the camera is important for you I would recommend the HTC One, while it doesn't have the resolution of the other flagship products it is the fastest camera and from what I read it is the best camera for low lighting.
    Thanked by:
    lambeau469 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    lambeau469's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

    Default Re: Help for a layman - Apple to Android?

    Thank you all very VERY much! I think my next step is moving from paper to the store and test driving them. I suppose I should be excited for multiple great options, lol.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Help for a layman - Apple to Android?

    Quote Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
    A nexus phone is a Google phone, they put their name on the phone and all updates come from Google. Google changed the game at Google I/O last month by announcing a Google experience with Samsung S4 and then with HTC.

    A phone that is not a nexus usually has enhancements in the OS and launcher to make the phone a unique experience. As an ay to differentiate itself. Not all vendors do this Asus usually puts stock Android. In thus case OS updates come from the vendor and not Google so the delay is much longer, that is if you're lucky to get an update. What I have seen as of last year is most flagship products get updates.

    What is awesome about Android is all phones work great as is w/o the user having to configure the device but if you want more control or something new/different you can easily customize android. Android launchers give such freedom.

    Me personally I hate touchwiz and load my favorite launcher (ADW.Launcher) . I do this to all my Android devices so I have a consistent look and feel for all my devices.

    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Now for the recommendation
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    For only $300 you can buy a new unlock Nexus phone from the play store. Without a contract.

    I have the Note2 and love this phone. It's the best phone I've owned. I read a lot and multi task like a demon. This phone us great for those activities. Also the bigger screen makes it easier to type. The quad core processor has not been tasked yet.

    If the camera is important for you I would recommend the HTC One, while it doesn't have the resolution of the other flagship products it is the fastest camera and from what I read it is the best camera for low lighting.
    +1 to that!!!!!

    Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Similar Threads

  1. Hello! Apple to Android converter here!
    By rjnsmith in forum Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 10:59 PM
  2. Help me move from Iphone to android - Music help needed
    By Dan Higgs in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM
  3. Please help to return to Android Froyo from Gingerbread for htc Evo
    By nJoiOnlY in forum HTC EVO 4G Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
  4. Please help with backup/sync. New to Android.
    By artofdesign in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 11:13 PM
  5. Help Pls: iPhone 3GS switching to Android - Thunderbolt now or wait??
    By ShawnTech1 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Posting Permissions

B