Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Android sales worldwide pass iPhone totals for Q2 2010

    Device: Verizon Note2
  2. #2  

    Default

    Apple doesn't care anymore than they care that many more PC's are sold than Mac's. Besides watch what happens when the iPhone is on Verizon.
    Last edited by snookie; 08-14-2010 at 08:48 PM.
  3. #3  
    SdotJ's Avatar

    Posts
    203 Posts
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default

    And when exactly is that? The rumors of the iPhone coming to Verizon are getting old really fast. Until Verizon says they will have it , its just more rumors. As for Apple not caring ....Apple cares trust me , they would be silly not to. Even rim is starting to feel the sting (although minimal). Who. Would have thought that android would be the kick in the pants the industry needed to be competitive again lol.
  4. #4  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snookie View Post
    Apple doesn't care anymore than they care that many more PC's are sold than Mac's. Besides watch what happens when the iPhone is on Verizon.
    They care (about both things) but they just know there isn't anything they can do about it.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  5. #5  
    Joelist's Avatar

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

    Default

    I doubt we'll see the iToy on VZW anytime soon. They are heavily invested in Android, and their advertising has a distinct anti-iPhone tint to it. They have no logical reason right now to undercut their own very successful "Droid" branding strategy.
  6. #6  

    Default

    I agree, its just rumors, it wont happen.
  7. #7  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
    I doubt we'll see the iToy on VZW anytime soon. They are heavily invested in Android, and their advertising has a distinct anti-iPhone tint to it. They have no logical reason right now to undercut their own very successful "Droid" branding strategy.
    I think they still want it but aren't willing to bend over backwards to get it and in the meantime they are building up the Droid army and by the time Apple decides to let them have it it will be too little too late. Sure they will get some sales, but not nearly what it would have been.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  8. #8  
    SdotJ's Avatar

    Posts
    203 Posts
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Sure they will get some sales, but not nearly what it would have been.
    This I disagree with. The iphone on verizon would sale heavy. I'm no iphone fan but it would crush android on verizon considering most of the people who went with android devices did so because they didn't wasn't to switch providers for the iphone so they got in there mind the next best thing. Now it wouldn't kill android but the iphone on verizon should not be under estimated.
  9. #9  
    BSG75's Avatar
    Custom User Title

    Posts
    834 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    The best thing for Android in the US is if the iPhone stays on ATT. If it comes to Verizon soon, it will sell very well. I think the iPhone is a better app platform (but not significantly better for 99% of users), but I think Android is by far a better total device experience. Lot's of people don't know that yet. They still think the iPhone is best phone you can get and want that white apple logo.

    I guess I'd be surprised if they sold a CDMA iPhone with LTE just around the corner, but maybe they feel they can't afford to wait any longer.

    And I think Apple does care about market share. That's why they talk about it in all of their presentations.

    Also, the question is how many Verizon iPhone customers would be defectors from ATT vs. how many would be current Verizon customers. IMO, if you are on Verizon now, there is no good reason to pine for the iPhone, but to each their own.
    Last edited by BSG75; 08-19-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.
  10. #10  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSG75 View Post
    The best thing for Android in the US is if the iPhone stays on ATT. If it comes to Verizon soon, it will sell very well. I think the iPhone is a better app platform (but not significantly better for 99% of users), but I think Android is by far a better total device experience. Lot's of people don't know that yet. They still think the iPhone is best phone you can get and want that white apple logo.

    I guess I'd be surprised if they sold a CDMA iPhone with LTE just around the corner, but maybe they feel they can't afford to wait any longer.

    And I think Apple does care about market share. That's why they talk about it in all of their presentations.

    Also, the question is how many Verizon iPhone customers would be defectors from ATT vs. how many would be current Verizon customers. IMO, if you are on Verizon now, there is no good reason to pine for the iPhone, but to each their own.
    The whole logic behind this "wait for LTE" argument has to do with the fact that they phone could be the same on both ATT and VZW, but if that were they case they would need to wait at least two years since ATT wont even begin testing LTE till the end if NEXT year and wont have it in many markets for a year after that...

    Personally I don't think VZW will be getting it any time soon (this year or next) and I am more than fine with that. Let VZW eat up their market share with the power of choice powered by the Droid Army and then when they finally do get it it will be as big a flop as the Palm Pre Plus was...
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    The whole logic behind this "wait for LTE" argument has to do with the fact that they phone could be the same on both ATT and VZW, but if that were they case they would need to wait at least two years since ATT wont even begin testing LTE till the end if NEXT year and wont have it in many markets for a year after that...

    Personally I don't think VZW will be getting it any time soon (this year or next) and I am more than fine with that. Let VZW eat up their market share with the power of choice powered by the Droid Army and then when they finally do get it it will be as big a flop as the Palm Pre Plus was...
    The great thing about LTE is that the SoC's for it will have CDMA and GSM support. So in theory the one they lock on Verizon will be sold as a 4G phone and the one sold on AT&T would be sold as a 3G phone. Which by the way would have every hippie in the world defecting to VZW.
  12. #12  
    YourMobileGuru's Avatar
    Formerly VZWRocks

    Posts
    2,634 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post
    The great thing about LTE is that the SoC's for it will have CDMA and GSM support. So in theory the one they lock on Verizon will be sold as a 4G phone and the one sold on AT&T would be sold as a 3G phone. Which by the way would have every hippie in the world defecting to VZW.
    In theory maybe, but it seems to fly in the face of Apple's desire that the device be exactly the same everywhere, I have a hard time believing that they would sign on to allowing the one on VZW being billed as something that appeared to be better than the one on ATT and other carriers...
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

    Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

    PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  13. #13  

    Default

    Will the iphone be on verizon?
    Yes
    When will the iphone be on verizon?
    .......idk
    Will it be to late?
    Yes and No
    If it comes out early next year like all these bs rumors say then no apple will be able to make att loose a **** ton of customers and get alot of people on verizon to upgrade to the iphone.

    If it does not come out early next year then most potential iphone users would have probably gotten an android phone and bought apps and finally learned how to use it. But regardless of that it will bring a lot of (iphone customers) to Verizon but most will not be new iphone users. This will help VerizonWireless and kinda help apple but mostly it would hurt AT&T

    It will eventually happen because they will start to loose alot of market share to android. Right now most of android users are new smartphone users or are blackberry users.
    Google Plus+
    Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Samsung Charge
  14. #14  

    Default

    Just my 2 cents as a BlackBerry addict till 5 days ago if apple doesn't move soon I think Android will have the upper hand. Rim is doing nothing to move forword in my oppinion they havent had a real os change in forever. The I phone from my understanding is not much better. Who can save programs to the sd card Android. We have the most choise in phones, fastestphones, Huge app world. If you had asked me a month ago I would have said I will have BB till I die. After the sugestion of a friend to give the Desire a shot I understand why so many people are switching to Android.
  15. #15  
    dougeetx's Avatar
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

    Posts
    380 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
    I doubt we'll see the iToy on VZW anytime soon. They are heavily invested in Android, and their advertising has a distinct anti-iPhone tint to it. They have no logical reason right now to undercut their own very successful "Droid" branding strategy.

    Don't be so sure about that. I know different for a fact. Admins, lookup my ip so you can see how I know.
    Cellphone pimpin' ain't easy!
  16. #16  
    Arelunde's Avatar
    TECHFAN

    Posts
    1,338 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

    Default

    All those impressive figures are for Q2. Wait until the numbers come in for Q3 -- which will include the DX launch! People STILL can't buy a DX off the shelf in most places and it's more than a month after release!
    Always learning ...
  17. #17  

    Default

    I don't think they're nearly as worried as you might think. Considering that there is only one iOS phone (2 if you count the iPad) and literally dozens of different Android phones on multiple carriers, the fact that they've been outsold isn't too shocking. Now if any one of those phones (say a particular Galaxy S model) were to get close, then they'd be far more worried. But they're not.

    And I don't personally think we'll see an iPhone on Verizon until it's LTE because of their data network.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    All those impressive figures are for Q2. Wait until the numbers come in for Q3 -- which will include the DX launch! People STILL can't buy a DX off the shelf in most places and it's more than a month after release!
    And people still can't buy an iPhone 4 either. Not to mention they're still selling the last iPhone as well. Though I have no idea, I seriously doubt there were over half a million pre-orders for the DX and I doubt they've sold nearly as many since the launch date as the iPhone 4.
  19. #19  
    Dural's Avatar

    Posts
    335 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    That's nonsense.

    If Steve Jobs wasn't "worried" he wouldn't be obsessed with Google and fire disparaging, veiled comments at every turn. Android is growing at the expense of iOS market share. Period. If that isn't of material concern to the company, they won't be around in 5-10 years. Further, the argument that Apple has only "one phone" and "one carrier" is immaterial (and is also patently incorrect since they sell the 3GS concurrent with the 4). AT&T exclusivity was a strategic business decision by Jobs et al. If they don't like seeing their market share get torn to shreds, they have no one but themselves to blame.

    Q3 is expected to show a huge increase for Android market share. iOS sales have largely been upgrades by existing iPhone3 owners to 4. A relatively small percentage of iOS sales represent completely new contracts. Meanwhile, Android's approach to be open source on multiple devices and carriers is paying off big for Google.

    Apple is on a very slippery slope, and they know it. The backtrack on open source lock-down today is not a coincidence. I hope the Apple company continues to do well and thrive. However, barring a major change in their corporate paradigm they will continue to be hurt significantly by Android's growth.
    Last edited by Dural; 09-09-2010 at 06:06 PM.
  20. #20  

    Default

    Nobody was question or saying that Android was gaining ground at the expense of the iOS. Business decision or not, having only 3 models on one carrier limits them. So as far as I can tell, they aren't losing any ground, they're just not gaining the ground they would want.

    Yes, Google's strategy is working great for them. They're a relatively new OS and have some great features and is very user and developer friendly. So there's no reason to discount them as a competitor, which I don't think anyone has.

    But just like with RIM, it's not that so many people are jumping ship for an Android or jumping from iOS to Android, it's that the people now coming from "regular" phones to smart phones have 3 options. Not just RIM. Not just RIM or iOS. It will take a lot to keep up with Android, I'm sure, but Android coming in will not break iOS. If anything having three (assuming RIM stays up and WM doesn't do any better than they ever have) heavyweights at the top will help fuel competition and give the consumer a better product.
  21. #21  
    thebizz's Avatar
    phone addict

    Posts
    3,516 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

    Default

    If or when vzw gets the iphone it will sale probably displace the droid army in sales due to one thing the name and logo on the back of the device. Their are too many people that want an iphone because its an iphone and status thing. Personally I don't care if out came out in january honestly it would be A plus for me, I would be able to get my wife on the family plan with an iphone rather than her carrying two devices just incase she loses signal with att
    Rooted for life
  22. #22  

    Default ESPN Cell Phone poll

    Related to this thread, ESPN has a poll up on their Fantasy Football site asking users what cell phone they use. Android is tied with the iPhone. You can find the poll at the bottom of the ESPN's Fantasy Football page (newbie, can't include link, sorry).

    Current results are:
    iPhone 23%
    Blackberry 22%
    Android 23%
    Other Cell Phone 32%

    Total Votes: 23,128

    Interesting point, Arizona and New Mexico are the only two Android leading states. I might have to move south.

Posting Permissions

B