Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RavenSword
  • 1 Post By gnr_2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is there any point to get a nexus experience device if your not a device?

I've been wondering what the advantages really are paying for a Google nexus experience version of a phone as opposed to the carrier versions if your just a guy like me who isn't a device and just wants a great phone experience? Is the only reason just so we can get OS updates a month ahead of everyone else? And can't you use a launcher like action launcher pro to get something similar to stock Android?

Really, more and more I'm not sure if these google editions are worth it.

Default Re: Is there any point to get a nexus experience device if your not a device?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    I've been wondering what the advantages really are paying for a Google nexus experience version of a phone as opposed to the carrier versions if your just a guy like me who isn't a device and just wants a great phone experience? Is the only reason just so we can get OS updates a month ahead of everyone else?
    try more like years. Some phones are just switching to Jellybean when Nexus devices switched last summer and most have already been upgraded twice since then.

And can't you use a launcher like action launcher pro to get something similar to stock Android? Really, more and more I'm not sure if these google editions are worth it.
    You can root and get rid of anything on the other phones so you don't need the Google phone line to get to stock Android. I don't know if just changing launchers is enough. I've never had anything other than my Gnex.

You can't have LTE if you get a Nexus4 or 7 and they don't work on CDMA so it's already a limited market.

Sent from the Superuser account on my newly rooted Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    Last edited by gnr_2; 06-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Is there any point to get a nexus experience device if your not a device?

Keep in mind that the new Nexus experience devices (S4 & HTCO) are not targeted to the average consumer walking into their neighborhood store to upgrade or add a new phone line. These devices are not subsidized (yet) and offer timely OS updates straight from the source: Google.

The target consumer here is the techie and developers wanting prompt OS updates and options as to hardware design. There's nothing wrong with multiple devices on the market with the Nexus OS experience.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Lol, I really hate autocorrect. Whenever I typed dev it corrected it to device, ha ha
    MERCDROID likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I mean, I'm not a developer but I am a techie. And I like having prompt updates I just am not sure if having most the features of these phones gutted is worth that advantage. Plus, GE htc one is kinda crippled on tmobile, isn't it?

Lol, I really hate autocorrect. Whenever I typed dev it corrected it to device, ha ha
    I was wondering.

MERCDROID likes this.

I mean, I'm not a developer but I am a techie. And I like having prompt updates I just am not sure if having most the features of these phones gutted is worth that advantage. Plus, GE htc one is kinda crippled on tmobile, isn't it?
    Yeah its crippled on T-Mobile if your in a area that hasn't been reformed yet but by the end of the yr that problem won't exist,now I have a one and like it with sense features but I'm def interested in the experia when its released its also dead that T-Mobile will be carrying that later this yr as the first us carrier but I'd rather buy it vanilla from google

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Refarmed and said not reformed and dead I thought I left my autocorrect problems with iOS lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,016 Global Posts

I was wondering, too. . If you can, go to a T-Mo and take a look at a N4. In no way does it feel 'bare bones.' I am a techie and got my N4 from Google, as I did with the Nexus One (sigh, I would still be using that if it had more memory) and the Galaxy Nexus. You can absolutely set it up the way you want and it makes those 'other' phones feel somewhat fussy IMHO.

Its not a question of updates being a couple months late, many phones NEVER get OS updates. There are still lots of phones running 2.x, and the carriers have officially abandoned them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I do have a N4 and while I think it's a good phone I am looking to upgrade it soon.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Its not a question of updates being a couple months late, many phones NEVER get OS updates. There are still lots of phones running 2.x, and the carriers have officially abandoned them.

I would imagine flag ship phones like the one and S4 would receive timely updates and support, no?

I would imagine flag ship phones like the one and S4 would receive timely updates and support, no?
    I wouldn't be so sure. What are the various S3 versions running these days and since when?

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Don't know. I know samsung has greatly improved updating speeds, but that's only a recent thing I believe.

Honestly, I'm not sure which is better as a Google nexus phone:s4 or the one. I know the S4 loses all its crazy are with a nexus experience version, but would HTC one be hurt by a google edition with no zoe or anything?

Believe it or not, HTC One is already late for about 7 months for an upgrade, and it is just beginning. Imagine what's going to happen in a year or so.

I like the Nexus line for multiple reasons. Updates are regular. No carrier influence over the operating system or carrier branding. Use of apps like Google Wallet. Because there is no skin, the operating system seems to run a lot smoother. Lastly, I just like the look of stock Android.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I wonder which is the better nexus experience phone, though. The one or S4? I don't know how I feel about boom sound ALWAYS being on. I use headphones mainly. And losing all the weird gimmicky s4 stuff sounds nice, but I like the ones screen more.

I just wonder which one is going to feel less of a downgrade.

Don't know. I know samsung has greatly improved updating speeds, but that's only a recent thing I believe.

Honestly, I'm not sure which is better as a Google nexus phone:s4 or the one. I know the S4 loses all its crazy are with a nexus experience version, but would HTC one be hurt by a google edition with no zoe or anything?
    Doing a cursory glance of the various S3 forums, it seems they all just recently were upgraded to 4.1.2. My Sprint Gnex was upgraded to 4.2.1 in February/March and the Verizon Gnex skipped 4.2.1 and went right to 4.2.2 in April. Sprint Gnex hasn't gotten 4.2.2 yet but we are still ahead of the S3 which was the signature phone just last fall.

_X_

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

With a Google experience you get Google's version of Android, their support(updates) and a few features they've added on.

The AOSP is not the same as a Google experience but I this close. It is missing whatever proprietary features Google chooses to omit. And is the same version every vendor gets.

For a lot of folks having the quick updates is worth it alone, for others it's the fact that Google tries to support as many of the older nexus devices. For others, where my opinion lies is that you are always close to the main line of the Google development.

I think one of Google's strength is also a great weakness. I personally love the customization of android but dislike having to learn a new UI for each and phone. Vendors having the ability change the button layout and launcher is just bad.

=X=
    Last edited by _X_; 06-11-2013 at 08:38 AM.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

But do the nexus experience phones really give you a main line to android developments? Or is it just stock Android Frankensteined on? Would having the google edition of the s4 or HTC one mean the life span would be increased as opposed to the carrier versions? I'm also curious what happens if there issues with these phones. Do we ship them to google or what?