Does Android on the high end devices lag?

Does your high-end Galaxy/ HTC/ LG lag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

catborg

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I do notice a little bit of lag when I put the phone into power saving mode. It essentially downclocks the cores in order to save battery. I use an S3

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The only time I've experianced lag on my one is when downloading installing apps but that's pretty much it

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I answered based on use under normal circumstances, to which the answer is no. I have not had any lag on my HTC One unless I am seriously multi-tasking, and even then it is minimal (several downloads at once from several different apps).

marrzie

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I understand this thread. Judging by the poll 19(no lag) 2(lag) it seems theres is no lag. Judging by all the replies nearly everyone says there is a little to a lot of lag. Probably because the people who have experienced lag forgot to vote.
Anyway I was able to test drive S4 and HTC One for 1 week each and they both lagged at different times. I always close apps not in use so the lag was not due to over taxation of system resources. Some people call it android jank. Mainly the lag or jank I saw was slight hitches or pauses in the animations when opening apps, unlocking from lock screen, or flipping through home screens. But I am super picky about any lag at all so maybe others dont even notice it. I just hate to buy a phone for $600+ and have to disable features or hack/root to make it buttery smooth. I dont care if it has a 1.9ghz quad core or a 1ghz single core, stats mean nothing to me when the user experience is not as nice as the price tag would suggest.
Having said that I really did like that screen on the S4. I loved the HTC One but it got too hot for my taste.

anon(5780458)

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Anyone who say their device doesn't lag is a liar plain and simple. Having worked with a multitude of device on all platforms I can guarantee that every single Android device lags, stutters, freezes and crashes all the time, on every screen and in every app, to varying degrees. That said, iOS 7 animations run at a very low framerate even on the 4S and iPad 3, but they doesn't stutter or freeze. As it stands today, WP8 devices are by far the smoothest and most responsive.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who say their device doesn't lag is a liar plain and simple. Having worked with a multitude of device on all platforms I can guarantee that every single Android device lags, stutters, freezes and crashes all the time, on every screen and in every app, to varying degrees. That said, iOS 7 animations run at a very low framerate even on the 4S and iPad 3, but they doesn't stutter or freeze. As it stands today, WP8 devices are by far the smoothest and most responsive.

Really? Cause I could count on one hand the number of times I've had my HTC One crash, and I run custom firmware instead of stock, so some crashing is to be expected. I'm like Android, Windows Phone, and iOS, have used all three, and originally left Android due to stability issues. Android on high end hardware today is free of any perceptable lag or stutter and rarely, if ever, crashes if you leave it stock. Take your trolling elsewhere.

anon(5780458)

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Really? Cause I could count on one hand the number of times I've had my HTC One crash, and I run custom firmware instead of stock, so some crashing is to be expected. I'm like Android, Windows Phone, and iOS, have used all three, and originally left Android due to stability issues. Android on high end hardware today is free of any perceptable lag or stutter and rarely, if ever, crashes if you leave it stock. Take your trolling elsewhere.
False. Official ROMs might not experience total device crashes as before, but they do lag, stutter and freeze for several seconds. Non-debatable.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
False. Official ROMs might not experience total device crashes as before, but they do lag, stutter and freeze for several seconds. Non-debatable.

You can spout that off as much as you like, but it simply isn't true. What recent high end devices have you used for long periods of time?

anon(5780458)

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You can spout that off as much as you like, but it simply isn't true. What recent high end devices have you used for long periods of time?

The latest Optimus G Pro is a perfect example of global stuttering and even total freezing in some apps such as Chrome and Facebook. It's such an overpowered device with performance visibly poorer than even the Nexus 4.

Only the homescreen and lockscreen which look like custom OpenGL implementations are smooth and responsive. All the other apps which use the default Android controls and ListViews stutter and lag.

Apart from that, input lag is still visibly higher than iOS. Touch events on screen drag behind your finger by several centimeters.
http://appglimpse.com/blog/touchmarks-i-smart-phone-touch-screen-latencies/

I actually compared the device side by side with a $120 Lumia 520. The budget WP8 device curb stomped the $800 Optimus G Pro in touchscreen responsiveness, browser responsiveness, pinch to zoom and overall OS stability.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
On my One X maps is the only thing that lags (in satellite mode), other than that no noticeable lag. My old Optimus One that I use as a remote for my HTPC lags like a mother* and I'm sending that to a recycle center and getting another low end device soon. One X is probably the best out of the box device to date, my LG Optimus LTE ran great too with stock but was rather unstable which led me to swapping it for the HTC.

My HTC Desire lagged a little with the stock Sense but once I rooted it and slapped on Cyanogenmod, it ran like a dream.

Chrome (latest update) runs horribly, removing that update and the browser runs fine, it's pre-installed into my system so I can't completely remove it. Using Dolphin Mini instead now and it's flawless.

busa2006

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Its not that android lags on high end devices cant be that cut and dry...You have different oem put their spin on android as in touch whiz, sense etc.that causes it to lag

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
The only thing so far that lags for me is the latest version of Chrome. Default browser and Dolphin performs much better.

And yes ICS and JB are waaaaaaay better on resources.

anon(5780458)

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Homescreen is smooth =/= Apps don't lag.

Even on newer phones with optimised homescreen performance every single app has scroll lag and stuttering except for a handful of apps such as Twitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith