Does Android on the high end devices lag?

Does your high-end Galaxy/ HTC/ LG lag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Technoloay

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello again, everyone.

I keep getting mixed opinions about the performance of the high end Android devices. Some people say that their Galaxy S4/ S3/ Note 2, HTC One, LG Nexus 4 lag and some don't. So, let's clear this point out: Is this true or not?

Or maybe better, can someone explain what is meant by 'lag'? Maybe it's a great misunderstanding?

Thanks.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I think you might still get mixed answers. As for me, I've never experienced lag on my AT&T Note 2. I'm rooted and running CleanROM SE AT&T so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

uumeshh

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Depends on your definition of lag. Tiny glitches while scrolling will always be there. But they may miss your eye if you are not very particular.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You get occasional hiccups but that expected, I never experience lag if anything an app messes up and freezes the phone before the phone itself trips up.

CurveDock

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I never had any lag issues on my Nexus 4,and I've been using it for 2 weeks.

Lag by my own definition is the glitch you get when an app doesn't respond,the screen may freeze for a moment. But in my case,this rarely happened.

Technoloay

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I think that lag is a result of the following cycle:

Good hardware released with latest Android version > Newer Android version released; downloaded on the 'good' hardware > the 'Good' hardware is no longer good and it lags.

Thus, the current generation of high end android devices are lag-free until Android 5 (or 4.3 etc) is released and downloaded on them. Take the S2 for example: it was a good device with 2.3, when it was updated to 4.0 and 4.1, it started to stutter.

What do you think?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Older versions of Android are not as smooth as Jelly Bean no matter the hardware. However, some handled it better than others and updates do seem to do weird things to phones in my experience. My old HTC EVO ran fantastic on 2.2, but the 2.3 update caused all sorts of wonkiness that I never could fix. On the other hand, my old Motorola Photon (forever on 2.3) started out great but got more laggy as time went on. I still have it as a backup device, but it's absolutely painful to use now. Compare that to my Nexus 4, which is still blazing fast over seven months later. One or two apps might hiccup but I blame the app and not the phone.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Lag will differ depending on user. My DNA out of the box has no lag. Nor does my husband's note 2. Factor in our apps, what we leave running, how much ram is being used, the amount of memory left, and you might find an occasional app that will stutter or something that doesn't play nice with the system.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Droid DNA
S-off, boot loader unlocked
illusion CM10.1

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Smartphones are computers, nothing less, and if you have too much junk running in the background, eventually, even the fastest one will slow down to a crawl.

People who are careful about what they install, what software they use, and regularly use the app management console to kill useless processes and apps running in the background can have a "slow" device running fast, and those with tons of apps running in the background, using "push" every 10 minutes to refresh Facebook, Twitter, News et al, these guys could have a phone 4 times as fast and still get sluggish performance.

My current phone is a Sony Xperia ZL, which, I guess can be slated as a "High end device". I do not have any lags, and running a 1.5Ghz quad core, if I did, I would do some serious investigating to find the culprit application. There is no valid reason for a Ghz+ multi-core device to be sluggish.

trwrt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't notice it much in the morning, but later in the day after I've snorted enough coke to see individual photons coming off the screen, that's when it really bothers me.

speed4tu

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon note 2 will have a little hiccup ever now and then. It's only a brief moment just enough to notice. Happy with it tho. Best phone I ever had.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies.

So even if it did, it's not because of Android but because of the apps in use? Good to hear that.

Correct. It depends on how intense you use the device. And remember, just like a pc, it will require some good house cleaning after a while to keep it running smooth and lag free. Also keeping in mind that lag is subjective. What lags for me may be acceptable to you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

rgarcia900

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never experienced any lag on my Galaxy Note II. I do regular maintenance and delete the apps I no longer need.
Just like a pc, spring cleaning every 6 months or so and I had my Note since release date.

Sent from my Unlocked Galaxy Note II using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Every Android device I've owned has shown me some 'lag' at one point or another. However, with most of the higher-end devices, poor performance was very rare and usually the result of me having lots of different things going on at once (most of the devices I have access to are used as shared development devices; because of this the hardware and software is controlled for consistency).

Edit: also, this poll is currently sitting at 13-0. This is the kind of thing I like to see.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a note 2 and its pretty smooth all the time. It has lagged but I couldn't tell you when it did it as it's a rare thing and it happened ages ago. I guess it depends what you have running.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello again, everyone.

I keep getting mixed opinions about the performance of the high end Android devices. Some people say that their Galaxy S4/ S3/ Note 2, HTC One, LG Nexus 4 lag and some don't. So, let's clear this point out: Is this true or not?

Or maybe better, can someone explain what is meant by 'lag'? Maybe it's a great misunderstanding?

Thanks.

It varies from people to people. If you are a light user, you may experience little lag or not a single lag. However, if you are a heavy user, then you may experience lag as many memory consuming apps are running.

By lag, it means the sluggishness of your phone. For example, you may experience slow loading speeds in games or even in youtube videos.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta