Does Android on the high end devices lag?

Does your high-end Galaxy/ HTC/ LG lag?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Homescreen is smooth =/= Apps don't lag.

Even on newer phones with optimised homescreen performance every single app has scroll lag and stuttering except for a handful of apps such as Twitter.

You really are very wrong. Are there some apps that lag? Yes, just like on every single platform (I've used iOS and Windows Phone within the past 12 months, don't try and tell me they do not have any apps that lag). The majority of apps from decent developers do not lag though. Its just like any other software platform. If a developer writes bad or bloated code, the app will run poorly regardless of your hardware. This happens on iOS, Windows Phone, Android, OSX, Windows, and every other software platform that has ever existed. This doesn't mean Android lags, it means that poorly written apps lag. Windows crashing because you running bad applications you downloaded of a Chinese torrent site doesn't mean Windows is unstable, it means don't use poorly written software.

anon(5780458)

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You really are very wrong. Are there some apps that lag? Yes, just like on every single platform (I've used iOS and Windows Phone within the past 12 months, don't try and tell me they do not have any apps that lag). The majority of apps from decent developers do not lag though. Its just like any other software platform. If a developer writes bad or bloated code, the app will run poorly regardless of your hardware. This happens on iOS, Windows Phone, Android, OSX, Windows, and every other software platform that has ever existed. This doesn't mean Android lags, it means that poorly written apps lag. Windows crashing because you running bad applications you downloaded of a Chinese torrent site doesn't mean Windows is unstable, it means don't use poorly written software.

It's more like only expert level optimisation of Android apps run at 60fps without stuttering. The best example of this is Twitter. If you develop a normal app with high quality code but no special optimisations to keeps animations smooth, it will stutter and freeze on Android. The exact same style of code on iOS will run butter smooth at 60fps. Something like 95% of all Android apps stutter. I have only seen 2 apps that don't stutter: Twitter and Google Plus. Any kind of slowdown or frame skip how ever small is classified as stutter. This does not happen on iOS or WP. Only horribly coded apps lag on those devices.

The fact is Google does not care about lag and stutter. They just don't care. Anyone who's used Chrome on a high resolution monitor knows what an unoptimsed piece of garbage it is. It freezes lags and scrolls at 15fps on the most powerful CPUs and GPUs you can buy while other browsers from real software companies like Apple and Microsoft run at 60fps on average hardware.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
It's more like only expert level optimisation of Android apps run at 60fps without stuttering. The best example of this is Twitter. If you develop a normal app with high quality code but no special optimisations to keeps animations smooth, it will stutter and freeze on Android. The exact same style of code on iOS will run butter smooth at 60fps. Something like 95% of all Android apps stutter. I have only seen 2 apps that don't stutter: Twitter and Google Plus. Any kind of slowdown or frame skip how ever small is classified as stutter. This does not happen on iOS or WP. Only horribly coded apps lag on those devices.

The fact is Google does not care about lag and stutter. They just don't care. Anyone who's used Chrome on a high resolution monitor knows what an unoptimsed piece of garbage it is. It freezes lags and scrolls at 15fps on the most powerful CPUs and GPUs you can buy while other browsers from real software companies like Apple and Microsoft run at 60fps on average hardware.

How many people on this thread gotta tell you you are wrong before u get the hint bro.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
This poll is broken. It was created by someone who doesn't realize that the so-called "high end" Galaxies, HTC and LG devices do not run Android. Stopped reading after that.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This thread was created because these devices lag.

This thread was created because, at launch, Samsung's bloated UI they put on top of Android lagged on the very powerful Galaxy S IV and someone took that to mean that other hardware would have the same issues. Samsung has since addressed this issue through an update that makes their UI much less laggy (though not all carriers have pushed the update). Pure Android and Sense 5 almost never lag. I have not used high end LGs much, but in my brief times using them, they did not lag. I just test ran 10 apps chosen at random from my app drawer, specifically looking for lag. Not one lagged and not all of them were from tier one developers. It is rare that an app lags. NFL Mobile lags a lot on me, but that is the only app I use on a regular basis that lags in any sort of perceivable way.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
This thread was created because, at launch, Samsung's bloated UI they put on top of Android lagged on the very powerful Galaxy S IV and someone took that to mean that other hardware would have the same issues. Samsung has since addressed this issue through an update that makes their UI much less laggy (though not all carriers have pushed the update). Pure Android and Sense 5 almost never lag. I have not used high end LGs much, but in my brief times using them, they did not lag. I just test ran 10 apps chosen at random from my app drawer, specifically looking for lag. Not one lagged and not all of them were from tier one developers. It is rare that an app lags. NFL Mobile lags a lot on me, but that is the only app I use on a regular basis that lags in any sort of perceivable way.

I'm not sure if the LG Optimus LTE (Nitro HD) was high end, it was the world's first true HD phone as far as I know, and it was a great phone but once I got the ICS OTA upgrade it became unstable, other than the random reboots and freezes it was a good phone and I wish LG had addressed it with a hotfix and there was no way to revert back to GB. Probably to date the nicest phone I've had, mostly structure-wise but it practically never lagged either.

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Guys... Stop feeding the troll. I have a N4, HTC One, iPhone 5, 4 4s, 4, etc... That Borg guy is obviously a troll.

anon(5780458)

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I am only talking about stock AOSP based ROMs such as the Play Edition phones, Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 etc. I don't even want to imagine the additional crap to put up with on bloatware infested manufacturer ROMs.

These devices visibly stutter ALL THE TIME except on the homescreen. Not debatable. There are threads on every forum pertaining to Nexus 4 lag/stutter filled with denial when the problem clearly exists for the OP. There are no threads anywhere about iPhone 5/5S/5C stutter.

There isn't even a usable browser on these devices that ship with Chrome. The amount of lag, freezing and stutter in Chrome compared to the old stock browser is ridiculous.

Mike_47

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
In a 1st generation Nexus 7 [2012] with OS 4.3, I have occasional, very brief lag. In my Nexus 4 with OS 4.3 I have almost no lag at all. Remember tho', these are Not high end devices. Let me add that about once per day, I use a task killer.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
None on my Moto X nor my Asus 10" tablet, not really any on the HTC One X either but the One X has some response delay after clicking on something, I never really noticed it until I got the Moto X and then it was immediately noticeable when I picked up the One X after using the Moto X all day.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes it still does. Apple does too to be fair. Still a lot of fragmentation in Android. A lot of it on app developers I think, not so much in the OS itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz