still didn't get Google maps 7.0.1 update...

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I still haven't got Google maps 7.0.1 update for my nexus 4... All my friends who r using nexus 4 & note 2 have got the update... Anyone has the same problem ? Suggestions ??

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site
yeah same here.
i've received all the other google app updates that have been released that past few days (G+, Currents etc).
very frustrating.

the whole "phased rollout" reason doesn't hold any water with me i'm afraid. they should have the capability to release it globally and not see any hit.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
the whole "phased rollout" reason doesn't hold any water with me i'm afraid. they should have the capability to release it globally and not see any hit.
There's little reason for them to spend the money on the hardware, personnel and bandwidth to do something like that just so people will whine less on a forum. It's like saying the DMV should be able to handle every single person in the state renewing their driver's license at the same time. They'd have to build these massive buildings with huge work staffs just for one single 15 minute time period during the year. It's a huge waste of money and resources when it doesn't have to be that way. I'd rather they spent that money on software development so the apps they do roll out are higher quality.

The OP will just have to wait like the rest of us. I don't have the update, either.

LordVader13

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
There's little reason for them to spend the money on the hardware, personnel and bandwidth to do something like that just so people will whine less on a forum. It's like saying the DMV should be able to handle every single person in the state renewing their driver's license at the same time. They'd have to build these massive buildings with huge work staffs just for one single 15 minute time period during the year. It's a huge waste of money and resources when it doesn't have to be that way. I'd rather they spent that money on software development so the apps they do roll out are higher quality.

The OP will just have to wait like the rest of us. I don't have the update, either.

I understand and agree with what you're saying however Google release almost all their updates to everyone at once.
Why is maps different?

I don't think it's a resource thing. Google play must get millions of downloads a day.

I don't mind the wait I'd just like to know why.

Posted via Android Central App

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I understand and agree with what you're saying however Google release almost all their updates to everyone at once.
Why is maps different?
It may be a combination of app size (it's several times larger than most other Google apps) and how big the change is. If there's a huge whoops in such a major change they'd rather know before they send it out to everyone. Also, I'm not sure that all other apps are updated all at the same time. Wasn't the update to the Play Store rolled out as well?

New Google Play Store 4.1.10 update starting to roll out | TalkAndroid.com

I don't think it's a resource thing. Google play must get millions of downloads a day.
And this update to their 20MB app that pretty much every phone and most tablets have is on top of all of that normal traffic.

LordVader13

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
It may be a combination of app size (it's several times larger than most other Google apps) and how big the change is. If there's a huge whoops in such a major change they'd rather know before they send it out to everyone. Also, I'm not sure that all other apps are updated all at the same time. Wasn't the update to the Play Store rolled out as well?

New Google Play Store 4.1.10 update starting to roll out | TalkAndroid.com

And this update to their 20MB app that pretty much every phone and most tablets have is on top of all of that normal traffic.

Good point and I think you're right. I do recall the Play Store getting a gradual release and if I'm not mistaken also the new Gmail app.

Still sucks though.

Posted via Android Central App

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Agree with your point, but what a horrible analogy.
No arguments here. Definitely not my best work.

I do agree that it sucks. It seems like a lot of the location implementation in the penultimate version of Maps was left half finished becasue they knew they were changing it. My Location history is embarrassing. It claimed I walked 1 mile in the month of June when I know I walk 1-2 miles every Saturday morning. Most days it doesn't even think I left the house, except in the middle of the night when it says I traveled 18 miles in 20 minutes when I was actually just sleeping. I'm hoping the new version ties all of this stuff together much better.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
No arguments here. Definitely not my best work.
LOL yeah I was at the DMV when I read your post. I had spent 3hrs there and all I have to say is they need to get better.

As for Google updates, I just don't get people's obsessive need for having the latest updates. Especially when the software works fine.

=X=

Rocking with the Note II

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Try uninstalling maps and then do a fresh install from play. That's how I got on the newest version.

Posted from my HTC One via Android Central App

SiempreTuna

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Just got it this morning - that must be a month after people in the US. Well, OK, a couple of weeks. Still, kinda frustrating, though on the upside it does allow other people to be the guinea pigs. The last big change to Play Music could have used a few more guinea pigs before it was hoofed out to an unsuspecting world - that was a complete pig's ear and had to be fixed within about a week. And still its the worst music player I've had on any phone.

Re locations: the new version of maps has my place of work - that I've been using Google Plus with for months - as about 500 miles away in Scotland. In a place I've never heard of, let alone visited. I have always favoured the ****-up theory over the conspiracy theory, seems I could still be right even after the NSA revelations :D

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
In the UK and I already have the update installed on my sim free s4. The update to the maps app looks amazing. Totally different and much improved.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781