New tech for longer battery life coming

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Its the battery

That's fine and dandy (and two months old btw). But the real hurdle is battery technology. With devices getting more and more features, the batteries will need to be able to handle the power intensive things like videos, GPS, streaming content, etc.

We are a long way off before we see this "new tech". But, it will be interesting to see if there is any crossover from electric cars on this one.

In the meantime, you can make your phone look like a humpback whale, and be naked. Sounds like a weird movie....

MrObvious

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually they need to make more efficient devices too. The Blackberry battery life is impressive. But compared to any other brand smartphone it seems like the others fail in comparison. RIM does have one thing right in the smartphone arena, and that's battery life. I could receive up to 200 texts in a day and only use a third of battery on my Tour.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Software can only be improved so much, but if you ask me the real issue lies with the batteries themselves. Li-ion batteries are nice and improved and everything, but it's still technology that's over a decade old. I do recall hearing about technology that could power a laptop for months. I've not heard anything about it since reading that article a year ago, though.

EndorphinRush

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Actually they need to make more efficient devices too. The Blackberry battery life is impressive. But compared to any other brand smartphone it seems like the others fail in comparison. RIM does have one thing right in the smartphone arena, and that's battery life. I could receive up to 200 texts in a day and only use a third of battery on my Tour.

This is true but think back to when you were using that phone. Do you remember how the is always looked clunky? An out dated Java phone tends to do that. Alot of the android power goes to the screen and keeping it pretty. But by no means is that the only thing. The blackberry never looked this good and personally never ran as well as my Droid.

If I'm a real power nazi on my phone I can get it to power through a full day and a half. But normally its on a pretty good cycle. On the charger when I'm in bed and up in the morning. I know the battery power isn't perfect but for what all you get with the phone its completely understood why. A lack of phone doesn't really qualify as being efficient :p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

Battery issues seem to be the one constant with smartphones, including the BBs from my experience. Battery life - or lack thereof - was a continual problem with the Storms and the comments on Crackberry echo those here in Android Land. As said above, maintaining that beautiful (large) screen is a major drawdown. Plus apps that continually update. Plus web access via 3G. And on. And on.

Maybe smartphones should come with their own mini-generators.

MrObvious

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
This is true but think back to when you were using that phone. Do you remember how the is always looked clunky? An out dated Java phone tends to do that. Alot of the android power goes to the screen and keeping it pretty. But by no means is that the only thing. The blackberry never looked this good and personally never ran as well as my Droid.

If I'm a real power nazi on my phone I can get it to power through a full day and a half. But normally its on a pretty good cycle. On the charger when I'm in bed and up in the morning. I know the battery power isn't perfect but for what all you get with the phone its completely understood why. A lack of phone doesn't really qualify as being efficient :p

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
I never said a BB was better then Android, but I just said the BB was designed for battery life IMO. That's all.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Most BBs have smaller screens. My Droid X has about the same battery drain time as my Storm did.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the BB is designed with better battery life in mind but you also get a more vanilla experience.
I agree that battery technology needs to catch up to the smartphone technology or we will soon be charging our devices every 2 hours.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

Android devices could do that as well...just replace your snapdragon with a 624MHz processor, and Android with OS 5.0 or 6.0 and watch battery life skyrocket! (as functionality plummets)

MRWOLF6969

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok is it just me or did they contradict themselves? They say the wifi is more efficient but then start the next paragraph with because they're fast they suck more power??? I think within the next few months to a year all manufactures will need an answer to this as processors make the move past 1gh.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks