Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,145 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Apple is falling...doomed?

They are out there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Notsosure View Post
    Wonder if Samsung can. I'm sure part of the reason why Apple can is due to the high volume of iPhone sales. If Apple were to pull that out the carrier would lose a lot of revenue. I'm sure at this point Samsung can negotiate with carriers based on sales of their galaxy line up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Apple isn't as secure in their demands as they used to be, despite the optimism in a couple of posts above about Apple's carrier agreements being sustainable. Russia's top 3 carriers dropped them after they used to carry iPhones. Some countries are flat out refusing Apple's demands. The reason things have changed is simple: Androids are selling far more now than they were then. Apple can't be as "you need us" smug like they used to be.

But... who said Apple was "failing" in the first place? What is this thread a reaction to?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    They are out there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    We must be reading different forums.

Lots of people say lots of things on forums (fora?), but they say 70% of statistics are made up: I think the %age is way higher on t'interweb

I'm guessing if you read an Android forum, there will people talking up Apple's problems while if you read an Apple forum, they'll be talking up Android's problems.

Re Rule9s point about Apple not being able to bully the networks in quite the way it used to: that would clearly appear to be true. The Russian example is a bit of an outlier, though as most iPhones have sold through independent stores, not networks in Russia. Plus, given Putins influence in everything, I'm sure there's a quite a bit of one-in-the-eye-for-a-US-icon in all that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule9 View Post
    I'll tell you what's not sustainable - the carrier-free updates on iPhones. The list of countries that are telling Apple to go stuff themselves about their restrictions is growing now that Android is the world's largest mobile OS and carriers in more countries realize they simply don't need to sell iPhones at all. All 3 of Russia's largest carriers have stopped selling iPhones this year.
    Apple isn't as secure in their demands as they used to be, despite the optimism in a couple of posts above about Apple's carrier agreements being sustainable. Russia's top 3 carriers dropped them after they used to carry iPhones. Some countries are flat out refusing Apple's demands. The reason things have changed is simple: Androids are selling far more now than they were then. Apple can't be as "you need us" smug like they used to be.

But... who said Apple was "failing" in the first place? What is this thread a reaction to?
    Yes carrier stores aren't carrying them, but Russia's version of Best Buy/Radio Shack is selling them. Record quarter for activations in Russia according to Tim Cook. Go figure.

Had a smidgin more revenue over year ago quarter, but more overhead/stock repurchase/dividend payout. So they only made $6.9 billion. In a quarter. I wish I were as doomed as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Willie View Post
    Yes carrier stores aren't carrying them, but Russia's version of Best Buy/Radio Shack is selling them. Record quarter for activations in Russia according to Tim Cook. Go figure.

Had a smidgin more revenue over year ago quarter, but more overhead/stock repurchase/dividend payout. So they only made $6.9 billion. In a quarter. I wish I were as doomed as they are.
    Sheesh $6.9 billion is it? They might as well be extinct!

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Record quarter for activation
    I never said they were doomed. In fact I even said I thought this thread was foolish because nobody else is claiming they're failing or doomed either.
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

The big picture is that Apple has almost 80% of the smartphone profits.
    Samsung's handset division had an estimated operating profit of $5.2bn (3.4bn) in the second quarter of 2013, according to Strategy Analytics.

Apple's iPhone operating profit was estimated at $4.6bn, with the iPhone range "underperforming".
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23463111

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/26/a...e-marketshare/

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts

My friend bought an iphone because all of her family had one... Her contract is now up for renewal and I said 'Why don't you look at android phones' and she said 'No way... I love apple phones' yet has never used one!

Another guy I know literally loves Apple, Macbook Pro, Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod... he used my nexus 4 and said it was amazing but would never buy one as he likes apple too much.

apple losing it's mojo?

Apple Losing Its Mojo in the Smartphone Market | Mother Jones

yes, i get all my news from motherjones...

Samsung's handset division had an estimated operating profit of $5.2bn (3.4bn) in the second quarter of 2013, according to Strategy Analytics.

Apple's iPhone operating profit was estimated at $4.6bn, with the iPhone range "underperforming".
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23463111

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/26/a...e-marketshare/
    Strategy analytics numbers have been debunked. They made grade school errors in calculating both apples and Samsung's numbers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

iPhones aren't going anywhere soon. It would take a combination of continuing at heir snail pace with iOS, along with the competition ramping up their game by numerous orders of magnitude in order for that to happen, simply because they have branding established. But that's not to say it won't eventually happen. Tech giants can be ephemeral and there's quite a lot of former top dog tech companies that are history now or doing very badly. IBM used to be "the" PC name. Alta Vista was "the" search engine. And many other examples. Frankly, the industry's two longest and biggest runners - MS and Apple - appear to be starting to show some of the signs of a tech empire's version of grey hair and a potbelly IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see Google follow suit within the next decade either.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123