Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By garublador
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question One frustration as a new Android owner - where are the accessories???

So, coming from a BB, I can't really complain.

However, I am currently looking for a dock/clock radio for my One. As far as I can tell, there are 3. One from iHome, and 2 from Philips. And after reading the reviews on those three (pretty bad), I still haven't purchased anything.

My current clock/radio is pretty much toast, and I want to get a decent one that will also charge my HTC One.

Why is it so difficult?

Default Re: One frustration as a new Android owner - where are the accessories???

it is the biggest disadvantage of android having so many choice between handsets.

Default Re: One frustration as a new Android owner - where are the accessories???

You dont need one that is specially for the HTC One, you can just use all the ones for android.

Just make sure its big enough to hold your phone
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yes, I know. For all Android, just the three I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    So, coming from a BB, I can't really complain.

However, I am currently looking for a dock/clock radio for my One. As far as I can tell, there are 3. One from iHome, and 2 from Philips. And after reading the reviews on those three (pretty bad), I still haven't purchased anything.

My current clock/radio is pretty much toast, and I want to get a decent one that will also charge my HTC One.

Why is it so difficult?
    It can be a tough adjustment. I tried out the iPhone when the 4s was released for about 3 months and while I didn't really care for the phone, the vast selection of accessories was pretty amazing.

Accessory manufacturers make what sells and when everyone from an 8 yr old to a 85 yr old grandma has an iPhone. There is just more demand for accessories.
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP

The problem is that Google were eejits and didn't specify audio support for USBs or standards for headphone jacks. This means that plugging in via the USB didn't work at all (I believe it now does support something .. dunno what, though) and that the way the headphone jack handles controls varies not only from OEM to OEM but also between models.

Just how Google over-looked this is beyond comprehension: there were rafts of accessories around for the iPod, how could they have failed to consider accessories for 'droids?

The best you will manage are speakers / docks / clocks that have auxillary input, then you have to power the phone separately.

Complete pants, I know

Try searching for "Bluetooth clock radio." I found more than the three you mentioned. Most of them seem to have USB charging ports, too, so you can charge with USB and play music through Bluetooth.
    pontiac005 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by garublador View Post
    Try searching for "Bluetooth clock radio." I found more than the three you mentioned. Most of them seem to have USB charging ports, too, so you can charge with USB and play music through Bluetooth.
    Yeah, was looking at those. But what I really want is where it has a dock at the top. What I'm trying to do is kill two birds with one stone: Have a solid dock to charge (usb connections on cables get flaky after awhile), and also to replace my current clock radio which is spastic (daughter spilled water on it a year ago). Streaming music through it isn't a huge concern. I have fairly decent, multiple audio units in my room and the rest of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    Yeah, was looking at those. But what I really want is where it has a dock at the top. What I'm trying to do is kill two birds with one stone: Have a solid dock to charge (usb connections on cables get flaky after awhile), and also to replace my current clock radio which is spastic (daughter spilled water on it a year ago). Streaming music through it isn't a huge concern. I have fairly decent, multiple audio units in my room and the rest of the house.
    I guess I haven't shared your experience with USB cables. The ones I have seem to last longer than my phones. Android doesn't really have a universal dock form factor so you'll most likely have to deal with either a very limited selection or replace a $3 cable every few years.

FWIW, the only cable I can think that's ever worn out on me is the iPod connector in my car. It came with a cable that connects an iPod directly to the stereo so I can control it with the buttons on my steering wheel and the cable has fallen to pieces. I've never seen a USB cable do that.

I guess I should acknowledge that you do have a valid complaint. There are a lot of cool accessories made especially for iOS devices (assuming you buy the $30 adapter if you have an iPhone 5) but the similar Android accessories seem hacked together in comparison. It would have been nice if someone would have come up with some sort of generic mobile phone docking connector and protocol, but that doesn't exist. It seems that more and more the stuff you can do is all handled wirelessly (even charging) so it's probably not a huge deal anymore.