Participants Needed for Smart Phone User Study (up to $100 gratuity)

Stanley Chang

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The neXus research group at Microsoft Research is recruiting for a study on how people use their smartphones to manage communication availability. We are interested in the relationship between the user?s contexts and actions on their smartphone for negotiating their availability for communication. Participants must currently use the Android phone (version 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich or above) as their primary phone for communication. Participation will include completing a pre-study survey; installing an Android app and running it for a 14-day period; responding to a daily journal email; and answering a post-study survey. The Android app will passively log data from a number of sensors (e.g., location, mobility status, ringer and screen status) when receiving or responding to notifications around communication apps (e.g., texting, email, video chat). No contents of the communication and no personally identifiable information will be persistently stored, as all identities will be mapped to unique id numbers. Selected participants will also participate in a recorded interview sharing their experience in their communication activity during the period.

Gratuity:
A total of $75 gift card gratuity is possible for participation involving the pre- and post-survey, running the app for 14-days and responding to the daily journal email prompts.
An additional $25 gift card gratuity is provided for participation in the post-study interview.

Requirements:
You must be 18 years or older
You must be in a full-time (at least 30 hours per week) occupation or graduate study program
You must use an Android smartphone with version 4.0 or above (Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean) as your primary phone.
You must use your primary phone for communication (e.g., making calls, sending texts) on a daily basis.
You must live in North America.
You must fully participate in the study by generating log data every day and sending in daily email journals (please consider if you have any travel or other activities in the next few weeks that would interfere with your normal daily activities).

If you're interested, please reply to me:)

kageneko

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
This sounds like an awesome study. I would love to be apart. I'm currently running a Droid DNA with 4.1.1.

My only worry is I currently work as a Website admin and on Youtube podcasts and gaming videos so that's not your contemporary hourly kinda job. Would that disqualify me?

kageneko

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Excellent, I have already signed up and will forward to all my Android using friends as well. Man, I've missed research. I've conducted quite a bit of research during my time working with UC Santa cruz CSU monterey bay over here in Cali. I'm a research social psychologist by degree and training.

This should be fun ^_^, Thank You for the opportunity.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
How do we know it's really you?

I mean, you want us to install an app that collects data from our phones and send it to you. I would like confirmation of your identity please, it would be appreciated.

:)

Sent via Note II

Last edited:

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in this study. I'm available but as a user said below I need to see some confirmation credentials that you are the real deal. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

kageneko

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Some sort of Official thingy would be nice it's true. Before I did any of the info i looked into the email contact given and the site he asked me to visit and everything seemed to be on the up and up indeed working with Microsoft.

But still, Some sort of easy way for people to be assured your not falsely collecting data would be appreciated.

Mark Zagotti

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I am interested, I am using a Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE with Jelky Bean operating system.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app

Stanley Chang

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could have provided more information in this post, but there's a rule that I can't paste URL in my post in this forum. So I can only provide such information through message. Sorry about the inconvenience :( I'll send you info about this project to any of you reply to this thread.

JFH8

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could have provided more information in this post, but there's a rule that I can't paste URL in my post in this forum. So I can only provide such information through message. Sorry about the inconvenience :( I'll send you info about this project to any of you reply to this thread.

You could not post a link because you registered with AC on 7/19/13 and you have only 3 posts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have communicated with him and he has sent links to verify his identity. He is legit, I believe. I filled out the study questionnaire but I don't believe I fit the criteria since I'm retired.

Sent via Note II

Stanley Chang

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
It would be fine to send an email to the team to verify my identity. But I believe that it'd be better if you could send me a message and then I'll prove who I am. I less prefer directly sending an email to the while team because a large group of people will receive an email "again." Sorry about the inconvenience, but please let me send me identity to you before you try to verify from the team. I'd be the person in the team who replies to you anyway. Thanks :)

JFH8

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It would be fine to send an email to the team to verify my identity. But I believe that it'd be better if you could send me a message and then I'll prove who I am. I less prefer directly sending an email to the while team because a large group of people will receive an email "again." Sorry about the inconvenience, but please let me send me identity to you before you try to verify from the team. I'd be the person in the team who replies to you anyway. Thanks :)

Thank you. No disrespect intended.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app