Rumor: Apple to drop iPhone 5 in favor of 'iPhone 5S'*

quest7

May 9, 2010
Visit site
When Apple introducesnew*iPhones, the company typically offers last year?s model at a lower rate. This year, however, may be different. According to a report fromETNews, when Apple launches the*iPhone*5S, the company will completely discontinue the current iPhone 5 despite the device being its most popular handset to date. Sources claim the move is in an effort to focus on production on the 5S, which is*lining up to hit late Sept.In previous years, Apple kept the last two generation of*iPhonedevices*around to attract a wider spectrum of buyers. When the iPhone 5 was introduced, the company?s iPhone 4S was suddenly a mid-tier handset, while theiPhone*4*was often offered for free on two-year contract. But that business model will supposedly change with the*introduction of the iPhone Lite, according to sources. It sounds crazy, but might make business sense for Apple.Rather than putting resources into manufacturing a device with similar components, Apple will put everything behind the iPhone 5S.ETNews*claims the in-cell technology used inside the iPhone 5?s touchscreen is not conducive to low-volume production, leaving Apple no choice but to abandon production?it wouldn?t want a ton of iPhone 5s sitting on store shelves. We?ve heard reports the iPhone 5S could be hard to find as it is come this fall, so Apple will need to refocus its production line, especially if a cheaper iPhone is incoming as well.Production is allegedly ramping up*ahead of a Sept. launch, so we?ll find out in a few months if this rumor is true. Will the iPhone 5 be dropped like a sack of potatoes? It certainly sounds like it.
Apple May Drop iPhone 5 in Favor of iPhone 5S and Budget iPhone | TechnoBuffalo

I wonder will apple still support the 4s and 5. If not, this sounds like the same thing apple-fan boys say about android.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
When Apple introducesnew*iPhones, the company typically offers last year?s model at a lower rate. This year, however, may be different. According to a report fromETNews, when Apple launches the*iPhone*5S, the company will completely discontinue the current iPhone 5 despite the device being its most popular handset to date. Sources claim the move is in an effort to focus on production on the 5S, which is*lining up to hit late Sept.In previous years, Apple kept the last two generation of*iPhonedevices*around to attract a wider spectrum of buyers. When the iPhone 5 was introduced, the company?s iPhone 4S was suddenly a mid-tier handset, while theiPhone*4*was often offered for free on two-year contract. But that business model will supposedly change with the*introduction of the iPhone Lite, according to sources. It sounds crazy, but might make business sense for Apple.Rather than putting resources into manufacturing a device with similar components, Apple will put everything behind the iPhone 5S.ETNews*claims the in-cell technology used inside the iPhone 5?s touchscreen is not conducive to low-volume production, leaving Apple no choice but to abandon production?it wouldn?t want a ton of iPhone 5s sitting on store shelves. We?ve heard reports the iPhone 5S could be hard to find as it is come this fall, so Apple will need to refocus its production line, especially if a cheaper iPhone is incoming as well.Production is allegedly ramping up*ahead of a Sept. launch, so we?ll find out in a few months if this rumor is true. Will the iPhone 5 be dropped like a sack of potatoes? It certainly sounds like it.
Apple May Drop iPhone 5 in Favor of iPhone 5S and Budget iPhone | TechnoBuffalo

I wonder will apple still support the 4s and 5. If not, this sounds like the same thing apple-fan boys say about android.

I think that would be stupid for Apple to do. Why not have the budget model, last year's and the current?

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I doubt they will do that. They have always kept selling last year's model and they will most definitely continue to do so. As with all rumors, take them with a grain of salt.

Posted via Android Central App

Bitmin

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Well, without Steve this wouldn't surprise me. Apple has done very weird things without Steve. The Mac Pro (without a SD slot BTW) and that Windows Phone 8, oops I mean iOS 7 mess. If I want an extremely flat OS that looks like Windows Phone, I'll get Windows Phone. Thanks Apple for making the switch to Android and Ubuntu easy and fast.

kioshi

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Eh, of course they will support them. They've always supported iPhones for three years, the iPhone 4 (released in 2010) will get iOS 7 (2013) and no more. The 3GS (released in 2009) stopped at iOS 6 (2012).

That has nothing to do with the possibility of stopping sales of iPhone 5 or whatnot because of a possible iPhone light model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

quest7

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Eh, of course they will support them. They've always supported iPhones for three years, the iPhone 4 (released in 2010) will get iOS 7 (2013) and no more. The 3GS (released in 2009) stopped at iOS 6 (2012).

That has nothing to do with the possibility of stopping sales of iPhone 5 or whatnot because of a possible iPhone light model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Sorry maybe I missed something, but the phones in question are not three years old.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX