Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mark260311
  • 1 Post By Haalcyon
  • 1 Post By RavenSword
  • 2 Post By qbnkelt
  • 2 Post By LeoRex
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts

Default Do you guys trust google?

Do people here trust google?

Owning an android is pretty much like giving all your lifes information away to google. Do people care?

I had a buddy and someone tried to open a credit card after he got his new S3 about a year back. Thats pretty creepy. Anyone have any similar stories?

Is security at all important to people here or do they try and limit what they do on their smartphones?

Default Re: Do you guys trust google?

For me its not about "trusting" Google. Its about not being daft enough to give away my life storie online. Im not saying im perfect but I limit what goes out. Its the same as Apple or RIM. You give all sorts of detail to register and use the handset so you just have to be clear on what info is private and what info isnt.

And for all those who love a good conspiracy. . . How do you feel about Google and the NSA tracking your movements via facebook status updates??! :-)

Posted via Android Central App
    Daspoo likes this.

What does that question even mean? Owning a windows phone, or iPhone means the same thing for those companies... Do you mean Google specifically or any service provider?
    How does your buddy's S3 connect with someone opening a card in his name? There's no logical connection between those 2 occurrences unless you're leaving some important info out.

No one would be happy to learn that companies are doing nefarious deeds with their data but I'm fairly certain that most people have at least some faith in these companies and the laws that govern them. That's not to say that something couldn't happen or isn't happening, but quite frankly, if Google wants to look at my asian pr0n, they're more than welcome to it.

People had the same concerns with Windows when the Internet became more mainstream.

I'm not afraid of what the companies do. It is somewhat nefarious, but what I'm really afraid of, is government being able to monitor and use that same data. Should, in say, thirty years from now, a radical religious party takes over the control of a government, and decides to kill everyone who has exhibited a certain behavior during a lifetime. The data on the Facebooks and Google + of this world would instantly become an open database from which lists could be quickly and summarily drawn up by extremists.

Imagines the ensuing massacres...

I live with a woman, but I'm not married. I don't use Facebook or Google+, but some people I know do use these services to expose their lives publicly, and they do publish and tag pictures, some of which may have me and my better half tagged. Given humanity's past, is it really far-fetched to think that maybe, someday, I could be executed for this behavior ? It is really far-fetched that they could use this kind of data to "document" my "crime" ?

I'.d rather not think too much about it.... Scary stuff....

Global Posts
    6,437 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

No, I don't trust Google. However, I try to limit what goes out. I don't do anything that I'm ashamed of or that's illegal and face the fact that the NSA can spy on my online activities. It is sad but we no longer live in a free country. If you want privacy you really need to stay offline (or you can try some of that hide-my-IP jazz). It is sad.

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4
    Last edited by Haalcyon; 07-29-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    Live long and prosper.

AJC1973 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hurds View Post

Owning an android is pretty much like giving all your lifes information away to google.
    It is just like owing an Apple gadget or a Windows one. It was clear that the companies WILL gather the info. Wouldn't you on their place? The question is what info you are ready to share.
    Intellectsoft. We build software. Intelligently.

I don't trust any of these companies like that. That's why I keep backups everywhere. I have some data in Google, some in drop box, some in sky drive, and I have full data backups on a microsd card and a flash drive. I am not going to lose my data anytime soon.

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Do I distrust Google to the extent that I'd limit myself to a BB phone, and never ever use Google search, maps, or gmail on it, OR a desktop computer? Because let's face it - as long as you're using any of those it doesn't matter what non-android device you buy. The answer to that is no, I don't distrust Google enough to to go to those extremes. Why did I specifically mention BB? Because Apple and MS have both been proven equally hackable, and both are equally complicit in the whole government eavesdropping scandal. I wouldn't be surprised to find out BB has been playing nice with the CDN gov't's own shenanigans. Lastly BIS/BES level encryption isn't automatically bundled with BB10 anymore, you have to pay extra for it AFAIK.

Android and iOS devices have been receiving top level security certifications for both gov't and business use for a year+, so BB's older days of having an 'edge' in security are well past us now. No smartphone is 100% immune to exploits. Even BB10 temporarily had an exploit that allowed users to be hacked not too long ago, which has been patched since. Mac computers are no longer immune to viruses, etc etc.

Moral of the story is buy a smartphone which has the most innovations, features, capabilities and a healthy ecosystem and support, and once you've made that choice be personally responsible for how much personal information you use with it and the steps you take to protect it. I've used android for personal banking for years now. But I don't leave my phone unattended, I don't allow apps to be installed from anywhere except Google Play Store, I only install apps from bonafide developers, and in all that time I've never once had any form of antimalware or antivirus installed.

I don't have my credit card on Google, but i never had it on Apple or anything else. Going to school for computers it's creepy how people can get you info even if you think you are safe,but not just Google and company.
    iPad iPhone 4,4s,5,5s Nexus 7 (2013) Galaxy S4 Nexus 5 and so much more.....

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Personally for me, the question isn't do I trust Google so much as it is do I trust Google any less than everyone else. They're all in it to make money, and my expectations of what they do and how they do it, are based on that fact alone. So I make sure to reveal to any company only what I'm comfortable one day having exposed or losing.

I trust google more than my body of government right now, that's for sure.
    JeffDenver likes this.

Guys - before you go too deeply into this conversation, please review some of the OP's threads at Crackberry.

Judge for yourself.

Whats the duopoly doing? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Marketshare. Expect big changes if this happens. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    DenverRalphy and reeneebob like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Guys - before you go too deeply into this conversation, please review some of the OP's threads at Crackberry.

Judge for yourself.

Marketshare. Expect big changes if this happens. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    Oh trust me, I know, and I've seen.

Global Posts
    2,931 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by hurds View Post

Owning an android is pretty much like giving all your lifes information away to google. Do people care?
    No.

If it was not Google it'd be someone else. And there is a lot of scrutiny on Google.

I had a buddy and someone tried to open a credit card after he got his new S3 about a year back. Thats pretty creepy. Anyone have any similar stories?
    Nope. Been using Android and google since 2009.

Is security at all important to people here or do they try and limit what they do on their smartphones?
    About the same as I'd do on a PC.

Frankly my biggest security concern is having my phone stolen. Thats why I want a way to wipe it remotely. But I have no converns at all about Google. I think leaks are possible (though unlikely...and again, I think this would apply to anyone else if it wasn't Google), but I do not think there is any possibility of Google deliberately misusing my personal information on purpose.

If you are really worried about it there are steps you can take to mitigate the risk on any platform. Life is about compromises.

Global Posts
    2,931 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post

Judge for yourself.

Well, look at his Avatar. It's not like he tries to hide it.

If security is a big deal for him, Blackberry is a good choice. He is choosing to give up a lot of features and options because he is concerned about security. He's allowed to do that. If Blackberry is smart they will capitalize on that market and carve a niche for themselves before it's too late. They've made some bad decisions in the past but their current CEO seems to have half a brain, so they might still pull out of this death spiral. I definitely don't think Android has anything at all to worry about from Blackberry...the best they can hope for at this point is to keep from dying.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    but I do not think there is any possibility of Google deliberately misusing my personal information on purpose.
    I'm agreeing with you on this one. Google relies on all of us to make them money. If they abused consumers to the point where they began to abandon their services, their ad revenue would dry up quicker than Lake Mead. So I can only assume that they spend an inordinate amount of effort to make sure that the personal data quid pro quo they have with users isn't compromised. Google stands to lose a hell of a lot more than us if that was to occur.

I've said this before.... it's not like we don't get anything out of the deal. Yes, Google uses our online habits as a giant profiler to allow them to better serve their advertising customers, but I think we often take for granted the sheer magnitude of services Google gives us access to, free of charge. So it's a two way street, and we both have to be on board for the whole thing to work.
    TgeekB and A895 like this.

I'm not the type that worries about things like this. Like how some get offended if you ask their weight or how much money you make.

Even things like when entering your PIN when paying, I don't cover up it up with their other hand. I just laugh when people do it. Way too paranoid.

I have a co-worker who doesn't sign up with points like Petro Canada because he doesn't want his personal information getting out!?

Pro S5
    Last edited by Darth Spock; 07-10-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: inappropriate language removed by moderators
    "I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie (THE NEWSROOM, HBO)