1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Are Android email links dangerous and iPad emails links safe?.

Are Android email links dangerous and iPad emails links safe?. The Los Angeles Times says I should never click on any email links in Android. I should just get an iPad or iPhone for email links because they are foolproof (safe). The La Times newspapers seems to have endless articles complete with photos on how Apple is the greatest. They never skip a chance to name drop by plugging Apple in almost any story. It’s becoming sickening. Then it seems Apple started to reward the LA Times by taking out many full page Apple ads.

LA Times Business Section Page B1 07/26/13 “Email ‘phishing’ attacks growing in number, intensity” or

More:
    Newspaper Headlines Page B1 07/24/13 “Apple profit shines; new products near” - article says: “Apple shares up as much as 5% in after-hours trading. During regular trading, shares fell 1.7% to $418.99; the stock is down 40% from its high in September.”

Newspaper Headlines Page B2 07/06/13 “HTC, Samsung results flop” - article says: “Samsung Electronics Co., based in South Korea, said its operating profit was about $8.3-billion, up 50% from a year earlier, but that was still considered a disappointment in the eyes of analysts.”

(Note: LA Times online newspaper articles sometimes have different titles.. Some newspaper articles are not available online.)

Global Posts
    13,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Are Android email links dangerous and iPad emails links safe?.

Quote Originally Posted by tktim View Post
    Are Android email links dangerous and iPad emails links safe?. The Los Angeles Times says I should never click on any email links in Android. I should just get an iPad or iPhone for email links because they are foolproof (safe). The La Times newspapers seems to have endless articles complete with photos on how Apple is the greatest. They never skip a chance to name drop by plugging Apple in almost any story. It’s becoming sickening. Then it seems Apple started to reward the LA Times by taking out many full page Apple ads.

LA Times Business Section Page B1 07/26/13 “Email ‘phishing’ attacks growing in number, intensity” or

More:
    Newspaper Headlines Page B1 07/24/13 “Apple profit shines; new products near” - article says: “Apple shares up as much as 5% in after-hours trading. During regular trading, shares fell 1.7% to $418.99; the stock is down 40% from its high in September.”

Newspaper Headlines Page B2 07/06/13 “HTC, Samsung results flop” - article says: “Samsung Electronics Co., based in South Korea, said its operating profit was about $8.3-billion, up 50% from a year earlier, but that was still considered a disappointment in the eyes of analysts.”

(Note: LA Times online newspaper articles sometimes have different titles.. Some newspaper articles are not available online.)
    I am calling shennanigan's on that. I don't buy that one bit.
    Actually some might argue it is more dangerous to browse on iOS versus Android. Safari can be fooled by fake URLs that look like legit places. I can't remember the exact situation, but you can check out Armand Ferreria's YouTube video series iOS versus Android.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Default Re: Are Android email links dangerous and iPad emails links safe?.

That's the oldest virus transmission method in the book, its called phishing. And basically it installs a virus to your device, that sits on your device and collects and reports private information to a host server.

And no to answer your question, this can happen on any software platform, apple does not make their devices magically protected from it. Actually since mac os and ios are based on Unix as well, they are also highly susceptible to viruses, as much as android is. Its an underlaying problem with the os they are built on, its quite easy to add users that can modify your system, if you know how.

I hate seeing news reports or blogs that praise apple for making their os's, virus proof. They are not, and anything you see claiming otherwise is hog wash. They are as vulnerable as Linux and windows. A program is only as secure as the programmer writes it to be. And the important thing to remember is that these OS's are all written with backdoors in them. This allows system admins easy access to the system. If a hacker knows how to access them, your in great risk.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    Thanked by: