Which Device Houses the Best Camera?

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey All!

I finally made the jump from my never-ending iOS run back to Android. I'm very happy with my Galaxy Note 2. Never thought I would want such a big screen, but I'm smitten with it.

There is just one thing (besides the fact I'm still stuck on 4.1) that is really bothering me about this device.
The camera is absolutely terrible. I don't know if it's me or the conditions I normally take photos (in my living room of my always moving babies) - but I can't get a clear shot.

I even took a photo of flowers in my office and it just looked so washed out and drab.

Just to make sure, I grabbed my husband's iPhone 5 and took a picture of my daughter right after I tried with my Note and it's very clear and bright - even though she is moving.

I'm so bummed, I want to keep this phone but I really need to have one that has a camera comprable to the iPhone 5.

Any device advice?
Thank you everyone!
(I know the Note 3 is around the corner, but I am unable to wait until October for a new device. I have 13 days with Best Buy to make a swap)

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I took great photos with my Note 2. It is possible you have a bad camera sensor. Manufacturing errors occur commonly in phones, and you may be a victim of this. That said, I'm really happy with the camera on my HTC One and the S4 is really good as well. I'd go to the carrier and either change devices or request a new Note 2.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Note 2 has a solid camera. On the better end as far as cameras are concerned with phones. Fingerprint on the glass? Not the norm for a note 2 to take crappy pics. Something must be wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Here is a photo I took with my Note in my decently lit office.
The roses were a very bright vivid red. In this picture they look very bland.
I held incredibly still - this is one of a handful of pictures that came out this way.

Thoughts?

20130813_165832_zps742d7b2e.jpg

Last edited:

Teddy Jenkins

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have been swapping phones so much over the last year and the Samsung S4 Camera is soooooo good. I was about to buy a small compact digital camera before I go to Dubrovnik but I got the S4 a month ago and have decided not to now - the Camera is really that good! take a look at some shots compared to the iphone and others. you will see the difference.

I always found the Iphone to be a much better phone for Photos as my partner has an Iphone 5 and that always beat my Lumia devices.

edbanger

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Not being funny, but did you remove the little screen protector on the camera lens?...I love this phone and love this camera..one of the best ive had...good luck..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you guys for the insight, it's been really disheartening struggling with this camera.
I've looked at the camera several times and gently pried at the edges. I don't think there is any plastic on it. That was the first thing I looked for. I've played with the settings a bit and will be trying to get some photos outside to see what natural light gives off.

It just doesn't seem to matter how still I am, none of the pictures have any sharpness to them. They look phenomenal on the screen of course while lining it up, but once I snap that photo they are washed out and fuzzy.

I don't want to have to get rid of this phone, but unless I figure out a solution I may have to.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
+1 on the make sure the plastic protector is off the camera lens. I forgot about that. When I shipped off my Note 8 to it's new owner I still had that piece of plastic on the camera. Unpackaging a Samsung device is laborious with all the plastic they wrap it in. If this isn't the case, go to your carrier and get another Note 2, your pics are not the norm with this device.

Thank you guys for the insight, it's been really disheartening struggling with this camera.
I've looked at the camera several times and gently pried at the edges. I don't think there is any plastic on it. That was the first thing I looked for. I've played with the settings a bit and will be trying to get some photos outside to see what natural light gives off.

It just doesn't seem to matter how still I am, none of the pictures have any sharpness to them. They look phenomenal on the screen of course while lining it up, but once I snap that photo they are washed out and fuzzy.

I don't want to have to get rid of this phone, but unless I figure out a solution I may have to.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
+1
I spent some time with the N2 and that photo is definitely not the quality shot it should be. You may have a defective camera.

chukka63

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Is it the camera or the screen ?.Ive taken some photos and while they look poor compared to my partners screen,they look ok when i load them to my laptop.