Android Device Manager - Problem?!?

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Looking for some help/advice......the new Android Device Manager service that was recently rolled out......doesn't seem to be working at all on my VZW Galaxy Nexus. I have the option in the Device Admin section of Settings (which I've activated). I've made the appropriate selections in the Google Settings App to allow for Remote Location and Remote Factory Reset. I've got location services enabled in the general phone settings. But for some reason when I pull up the Android Device Manager website in a Chrome browser on a desktop (and yes, I'm signed into my Google account in said browser), the only thing I see is a big world map and the message "No Active Devices". The only place "online" that I can find to see associated devices with my Google account is through the Play Store, which does show my Galaxy Nexus as expected.

Any ideas why my device isn't showing up in ADM? As far as I know I've checked, double checked and re-checked all of the things that it says need to be set in all of the "help" options I can find to get ADM setup so I'm kind of at a loss personally. I'm sure this could turn out to be a completely smh situation, but I'm just not figuring it out.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Go into your Google Settings, and uncheck factory reset. Now go into device settings, apps, all, and tap Google Play Services. Clear the data from Play Services, then go back to your Google settings app and reenable remote reset. Power your device down and turn it back on, then try ADM again. Report back if this fixes it.

Looking for some help/advice......the new Android Device Manager service that was recently rolled out......doesn't seem to be working at all on my VZW Galaxy Nexus. I have the option in the Device Admin section of Settings (which I've activated). I've made the appropriate selections in the Google Settings App to allow for Remote Location and Remote Factory Reset. I've got location services enabled in the general phone settings. But for some reason when I pull up the Android Device Manager website in a Chrome browser on a desktop (and yes, I'm signed into my Google account in said browser), the only thing I see is a big world map and the message "No Active Devices". The only place "online" that I can find to see associated devices with my Google account is through the Play Store, which does show my Galaxy Nexus as expected.

Any ideas why my device isn't showing up in ADM? As far as I know I've checked, double checked and re-checked all of the things that it says need to be set in all of the "help" options I can find to get ADM setup so I'm kind of at a loss personally. I'm sure this could turn out to be a completely smh situation, but I'm just not figuring it out.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I just tried all of those steps and I'm still getting the "No Active Device" message, which the subsequent message below that states "Before you can use Android Device Manager, you must have an active Android device." (this was the same as before). I guess somehow it's this extra part about "....must have an active Android device" that is the most puzzling to me. I could have sworn that at some point in the past I had seen a spot in the general Google account settings that showed your device, but I'm not seeing that anywhere when I pull up my Google account settings in a browser. The only place I see any device associated with my Google account is in the Play Store (but maybe this is normal now). I'm just completely lost on why this isn't working for me. I've tried numerous reboots, tried to clear out data/cache in different spots and I'm still at a loss. I had previously used Lookout Mobile for the security/locate lost/remote wipe features (and still have it on the phone), but I did "deactivate" the Device Admin option for Lookout thinking that could be a conflict, as well as to basically stop Lookout from running again thinking there could be a conflict and still it hasn't seem to fix it. The only step I haven't taken is to uninstall Lookout completely, although I'm really not convinced that's the problem here.

Not really sure that it matters, but just to note that I'm just running "stock" on the VZW GNex and still just sitting at 4.2.2, have never rooted my phone and just patiently wait on VZW to push out the OTA updates (as trying as that can be on the patience at times....). But again, from everything I've seen/read, the version of the OS shouldn't be the issue so I'm not sure what the deal is here.....

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd send feedback. If you've cleared the data from Play Services that's all there is to it. It might be an issue on Google's end.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

nyijedi

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem. Android Device Manager was showing both my N4 and N10 for a while, and out of nowhere, I'm now getting the "No Active Devices" message. I tried the disable/cache clear instructions above and it didn't work for me. This is very puzzling.

nyijedi

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
How exactly do we contact Google for help with this? I'm fairly certain my problem is on their end, since both of my devices were initially showing up, disappeared without me changing anything, and won't show up now despite doing the reset steps above.

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
How exactly do we contact Google for help with this? I'm fairly certain my problem is on their end, since both of my devices were initially showing up, disappeared without me changing anything, and won't show up now despite doing the reset steps above.

Get on the Google website and then you choose help and contact us. It's been awhile but I think that's how you can contact them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I just used one of the "Feedback" link/boxes that was showing up down in the lower right hand corner of my screen when I was on my Google Account settings page (in a browser). I acted like it thought I was reporting a problem with that particular page (there was some screen capture part of the process where it wanted me to grab the part that didn't look right....but I just skipped past that). I still haven't gotten a response back to that "feedback" that I sent, so maybe that wasn't the best option. But it was the first one I saw where I could send anything to Google really, so I guess I'll be a little more patient and give them time to get to it.....

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just used one of the "Feedback" link/boxes that was showing up down in the lower right hand corner of my screen when I was on my Google Account settings page (in a browser). I acted like it thought I was reporting a problem with that particular page (there was some screen capture part of the process where it wanted me to grab the part that didn't look right....but I just skipped past that). I still haven't gotten a response back to that "feedback" that I sent, so maybe that wasn't the best option. But it was the first one I saw where I could send anything to Google really, so I guess I'll be a little more patient and give them time to get to it.....

This is the proper channel If you don't hear anything you should contact them the way Pontiac suggested.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I just tried all of those steps and I'm still getting the "No Active Device" message, which the subsequent message below that states "Before you can use Android Device Manager, you must have an active Android device." (this was the same as before). I guess somehow it's this extra part about "....must have an active Android device" that is the most puzzling to me. I could have sworn that at some point in the past I had seen a spot in the general Google account settings that showed your device, but I'm not seeing that anywhere when I pull up my Google account settings in a browser. The only place I see any device associated with my Google account is in the Play Store (but maybe this is normal now). I'm just completely lost on why this isn't working for me. I've tried numerous reboots, tried to clear out data/cache in different spots and I'm still at a loss. I had previously used Lookout Mobile for the security/locate lost/remote wipe features (and still have it on the phone), but I did "deactivate" the Device Admin option for Lookout thinking that could be a conflict, as well as to basically stop Lookout from running again thinking there could be a conflict and still it hasn't seem to fix it. The only step I haven't taken is to uninstall Lookout completely, although I'm really not convinced that's the problem here.

Not really sure that it matters, but just to note that I'm just running "stock" on the VZW GNex and still just sitting at 4.2.2, have never rooted my phone and just patiently wait on VZW to push out the OTA updates (as trying as that can be on the patience at times....). But again, from everything I've seen/read, the version of the OS shouldn't be the issue so I'm not sure what the deal is here.....
It looks like it's not fully functioning app yet.
I saw my device on the Google right away after activating the Manager (with GPS and location reporting off - so, they don't matter), but no location shown (probably not surprisingly) and it didn't ring when I sent a request.

nyijedi

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I finally got my N4 to be detected. FYI, from a post I made on XDA re: this issue:

Woohoo! I got my N4 working! The original steps DID NOT work for me. I tried them multiple times. However, a combination of adding the steps of disabling all location services and re-enabling them, as well as clearing data for Google Services Framework and Google Play Store (in addition to clearing data for Google Play Services and performing the other suggested steps) did the trick. I did a bunch of rebooting after most of these steps, but I don't remember exactly when (sorry). I did not have to remove/add my Google account.

I still have to get my N10 to be detected. I'll do this when I get a chance, and I'll pay closer attention to which steps fixed the issue.

nyijedi

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So these are the steps that I did to get Android Device Manager to see my N10. Some of these steps and/or reboots very well may be unneeded, but I'm giving an exact step-by-step of what got it working for me:

1) In Google Settings, uncheck "Allow Remote Factory Reset" in Android Device Manager setting
2) Reboot
3) Clear data for Google Play Services, Google Play Store, and Google Services Framework
4) Reboot
5) In Google Settings, check "Access Location" in Google Location Settings (note that although we didn't disable this earlier, clearing data in the above Google apps appears to disable it automatically)
6) Check "Location Reporting" in Google Location Services (note that this isn't automatically enabled from the previous step)
7) Reboot
8) In Google Settings, check "Allow Remote Factory Reset" in Android Device Manager setting
9) Open Google Play and accept TOS
10) Reboot
11) In the main settings, make sure "Access to my location" is turned on
12) Profit

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21