New YouTube App Pixellation

mathematiker

May 21, 2012
Visit site
It's fast, new UI looks much better, and gesture controls are good. However, I cannot believe that they messed up the actual images in this version! The videos have some kind of a terrible pixel jumble. I feel like the videos don't play exactly at 1080p, but more like 1078p or something so that the app is shrinking the image a little misaligning all the pixels.

Here's a comparison:
Full Desktop screencapture: http://i.imgur.com/9dVdF82.png
Full Nexus 7 screencapture: http://i.imgur.com/Plo8MUB.png

Desktop Detail:
d2GyUtt.png

Nexus 7 Detail:
8hX9sAT.png

I can easily say that YouTube looked as sharp as the desktop image in the old version. This is a problem with the new version, not the fact that I'm accessing it from a mobile device.

I used the intro text on this video to make the comparison (expletive language on the video) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8NhxD0-Ek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it's playing in HD mode on your Nexus 7? While the video's playing, tap it, then tap the menu button, and make sure HD is highlighted (it should look like it's lit up).

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
a bit off-topic, even if I noticed I downgrade in image quality too compared to old version, where's the timeline so I can go fast forward and rewind or to a certain point in a video when in landscape / fullscreen mode ???? the timeline only shows in the "normal", small mode, is this by design ? I hope not since it's such a basic feature in a video player !

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The timeline is right there at the bottom of the screen, regardless of portrait, landscape, small screen or full screen. You have to tap the screen while the video's playing in fullscreen to bring the options up.

mathematiker

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it's playing in HD mode on your Nexus 7? While the video's playing, tap it, then tap the menu button, and make sure HD is highlighted (it should look like it's lit up).
I tried turning it on and off to see whether it might solve it, no, it didn't. Screenshots were taken when HD was on. It was glowing.

mathematiker

May 21, 2012
Visit site
It appears to be device specific though. Apparently not everybody is getting affected by this.

I tested it on my 2013 Nexus 7.
Someone commented on the AC webpage post that on the droid dna everything seems to be working fine.
My friend tested the new app on an Ouya connected TV and he said that the quality drop is very visible especially on a large screen.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The timeline is right there at the bottom of the screen, regardless of portrait, landscape, small screen or full screen. You have to tap the screen while the video's playing in fullscreen to bring the options up.

I don't get the timeline either on Samsung S3 Mini and / Samsung S4, what's going on ? it only shows in portrait mode, when I tap the screen only the "pause" button shows, looking at Google Play comments about the update I'm not alone, how are you so sure replying to me the timeline is there as I was blind or something ? you could have thought twice and come to conclusion there might be compatibility issues as it seems to be the case.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't get the timeline either on Samsung S3 Mini and / Samsung S4, what's going on ? it only shows in portrait mode, when I tap the screen only the "pause" button shows, looking at Google Play comments about the update I'm not alone, how are you so sure replying to me the timeline is there as I was blind or something ? you could have thought twice and come to conclusion there might be compatibility issues as it seems to be the case.

Sorry for the misunderstanding--I didn't intend for the comment to seem condescending or anything. I was replying to the question with the experience that I have with my current devices.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the misunderstanding--I didn't intend for the comment to seem condescending or anything. I was replying to the question with the experience that I have with my current devices.

sorry I didn't mean to call you out or anything, by any means, I was just referring that it's happening to everyone with some S3 Mini and 4.1.2 Jelly Bean - Official Samsung ROM, also with my brand new S4 it's the same, no timeline when in landscape / fullscreen, so I guess it's some Samsung compatibility issue, strange and weird that Google didn't test this or didn't find out, cause, in the case of the minis, happens on every single device, S3-S4 just a few depending on the date of the ROM and board, so weird.