The end of "Nexus" as we know it?

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I read the following some time ago and I felt like sharing it. It's basically trying to say that Google is pushing out the Nexus devices and replacing them with Google Edition devices.
Has anyone noticed how Nexus 5 rumors closely resemble the LG G2? But LG has clearly said that it won't be manufacturing a Nexus 5.
So, what if our rumored Nexus 5 turns out to be an LG G2 Google Edition?
And what if the Nexus phone series is discontinued and replaced by a couple of Google Edition devices?
Because since Google can roll out Nexus-like Google Edition devices with less R&D work, maybe "Google Editions" are the future of Nexus phones. Think about it, I wouldn't be surprised of our rumored "Nexus 5" turns out to be the LG G2 Google Edition. The rumored specs of the Nexus 5 are very much alike to the G2. 5.2 inches is a less common screen size, and both the G2 and the Nexus 5 rumors have that; along with the Snapdragon 800 processor.
What dies everyone here on AC think of this?
Sorry, I read this a while ago and don't remember on what website so I can't provide you with a link.

Posted via a naked Nexus 4 running 4.3 (No cover for me!)

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the link, so the above post is basically me summarizing what I remember reading.

Posted via a naked Nexus 4 running 4.3 (No cover for me!)

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think what I normally do about rumors: maybe it's true, maybe not, but I'm not going to get worked up about a rumor.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
We always thought Google was putting out Nexus's to challenge manufacturers to step up..... With the Google Edition phones they are, I wouldn't be surprised if those eventually replaced the Nexus line.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

got root

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Nah, they're developing new software features somewhere, and they can't develop on Nexus 4's forever. They must have some new partnership with *someone* to make a nexus phone, to make a reference device with reference (platform) software.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, with Google buying Motorola Mobility I'd suspect that GE versions of Motorola phones would be the natural candidates for Nexus replacements.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Google still relies on Nexus phones as 'the' pure developer platform, and they're the best for that purpose rather than a variety of different GE phones which all have their own various differing hardware configurations depending on the manufacturer. You're not going to see them end with the current N4.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Google still relies on Nexus phones as 'the' pure developer platform, and they're the best for that purpose rather than a variety of different GE phones which all have their own various differing hardware configurations depending on the manufacturer. You're not going to see them end with the current N4.

Completely agree, Google only supports the nexus devices in aosp. While there is support for the ge editions of the s4 and one, they aren't nearly as supported as the nexus line.

Personally, the carriers/manufacturers should just give you an option to have either their ROM or stock android. Stock being updated directly by Google like it should be. Either way they can still have their locked bootloaders and other restrictions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Completely agree, Google only supports the nexus devices in aosp. While there is support for the ge editions of the s4 and one, they aren't nearly as supported as the nexus line.

Personally, the carriers/manufacturers should just give you an option to have either their ROM or stock android. Stock being updated directly by Google like it should be. Either way they can still have their locked bootloaders and other restrictions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'd even like to take it one step further. Remove all manufacturer skins, and have those various features some people like moved to Play Store, still owned by that manufacturer, and specific to that device. That way makers like Samsung could sell all their phones with stock android, totally skip Samsung and carriers for Android updates which would come directly from Google, and you could get your "touchwiz" features updated via samsung's Play Store apps. It's already been proven this can be done thanks to Motorola:
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/2...lay-should-make-adding-new-features-a-breeze/
This by the way is what would make me choose a moto x above all others if the Nexus program were ever to be shut down, but they would have to take the step of moving ALL their features off of the phone first so carriers are no longer involved as I discussed above. And if I were a gambling man, I'd say that's the direction they're going.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus line has always showcased the next best thing Google has to offer with Android. I don't think the gpe devices will replace the Nexus line. Instead, I believe the gpe devices offer the aosp experience and choice when it comes to hardware design.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd even like to take it one step further. Remove all manufacturer skins, and have those various features some people like moved to Play Store, still owned by that manufacturer, and specific to that device. That way makers like Samsung could sell all their phones with stock android, totally skip Samsung and carriers for Android updates which would come directly from Google, and you could get your "touchwiz" features updated via samsung's Play Store apps. It's already been proven this can be done thanks to Motorola:
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/2...lay-should-make-adding-new-features-a-breeze/
This by the way is what would make me choose a moto x above all others if the Nexus program were ever to be shut down, but they would have to take the step of moving ALL their features off of the phone first so carriers are no longer involved as I discussed above. And if I were a gambling man, I'd say that's the direction they're going.
There's still the issue of the OS itself being different for every phone. To totally skip manufacturers you'd need to either standardize the hardware (which would take away one of the biggest advantages of Android, the variety of devices, hardware and innovation we have available) or all of the manufacturers would have to give their hardware IP to Google, who owns Motorola Mobility, which would create a conflict of interest.

Granted the second one is probably possible, but it wouldn't really buy us anything because no work would have been saved. It's just a different company writing the same code. The first one would stifle the innovation many of us value. All Android phones would essentially be clones of one another to make them work with the one version of Android. Taking away the open source nature of Android would come with many disadvantages that I don't think many people consider.

The a la carte feature system Google seems to be leaning towards is nice and there are probably just as many advantages for the developers are there are for the users. Being able to update apps without having to roll out an OTA firmware update is probably somewhat appealing. That doesn't cut the manufacturers out of the loop when it comes to updating the OS itself, though.

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Are they ever going to release a nexus device or a Google edition phone for sprint? I have an s4 on sprint and I love it but I sometimes wonder what it would be like to have stock android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2