64GB Standard, how long do you think until?

X-Nemesis

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Is it the cloud that is keeping manufacturers from putting 64GB as a standard on high end phones today or is it some combination of cost and carrier/google influence?

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It will take a few more cycles for 64 gb to be standard on Android.

Hopefully something like the One Max had 32+sd card

Posted via Android Central App

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Is it the cloud that is keeping manufacturers from putting 64GB as a standard on high end phones today or is it some combination of cost and carrier/google influence?

I think it is most definitely due to the cloud. Google wants you to rely on storing your info in the cloud. We are a long way from a 64gb standard. The only device this year to give you a 32gb standard was the HTC ONE. I am hoping the next Nexus will come in a 16 or 32gb option and we can move forward from there.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it is most definitely due to the cloud. Google wants you to rely on storing your info in the cloud.
I'm not sure what leverage Google really has to persuade phone manufacturers to gimp the internal storage in their phones. It's not like they're giving them a discount on Android.

It's almost certainly cost that's keeping internal memory low on phones. Keep in mind that any addition to the BOM cost of a phone will be multiplied by millions. If there's tens of dollars difference between a 16GB card and a 64GB eMMC, if you multiply that by 10 million phones sold that's hundreds of millions of dollars off the bottom line at the end of the year. Phone manufacturers won't take that kind of cost hit unless it's proven to be absolutely necessary to have that to sell phones. That probably won't happen until the 64GB eMMC chips get considerably less expensive.

My guess is three to four years.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney