Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By EvilMonkey
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Some thoughts on android and IOS.

So, I put my thoughts to paper on the subject:

What I like and don't like about Android and iOS.

Android:

Like:

1. Widgets. Having audio widgets and calendar widgets are very handy.

2. Less expensive tablet hardware. The nexus 7 is only 229 dollars. An equivalent Ipad mini is 100 dollars more expensive.

3. Works more seamlessly with my Google accounts. I use Gmail, google music, Google calendar, Chrome, and starting to use Google plus. And Android works nicer with those than ios.

4. Platform seems more exciting from a potential standpoint.

5. Access to quick settings like wifi and blutooth without going into several menus. Ios 7 is going to address this for the most part, but still I hate digging into 2 menus to get to my wifi and other settings on ios.

Dislike:

1. Seems not as stable as ios. I seem to get more app crashes and freezes on Android.

2. Have to power manage my apps to reduce battery usage. Because apps can do push notifications and different things that they can't do on ios, they seem to such battery a lot more. I like apples battery management.

3. Lack of immediate tech support for repairs or analysis of problem (would have to ship online). Apples stores pretty great and there tech support is among the best. Not so sure about Google or HTC/SAMSUNG/SONY/LG or whoever makes the Android device you are having issues with.

4. More personal anxiety with accidently messing up the phone by accidently digging into the wrong thing or the fact it's so open. Look, I have issues with an item, and while I like androids openness, I think so much openness causes me more anxiety if I dig around in it. Might be rational, might not be, just saying.

iOS:

Like:

1. very stable. Works as I expect, when I want expect it to, with little crashing or force closes.

2. Battery life. On the whole, ios (and apple devices in general) have very good to great battery life.

3. Mainly only implements proven things and refines them as best they can. I may need to explain, but pretty much I like how apple goes the exact opposite route of someone like a Samsung where Samsung will literally throw anything at the wall and see what sticks. Apple, while they often take longer than I and others would like, waits and sees what's worth it and then refines it.

4. Support.: I love that the apple store exists. Seriously, anytime I can interact with a human that's less than 30 or 40 minutes away from my house, depending on traffic, as opposed to emailing a guy in Iowa and what for that exchange to end before I get a return verification ship it out and get it back 4 to 5 business days later, I'll take the first option.

5. App quality. Purely my personal opinion, but I find that, in general, ios apps seem to be of a better polish and user experience. Of course this depends on the app and app maker, just what I noticed.

6. OS updates. When a new version of Android hits, you have to not only wait until your phones manufacturer implements it with their special skin, but you have to wait (sometimes in vain) for your carrier to push it out on their network for your phone. Apples able to get around all that.

Dislike:

1. It's getting rather boring. Grant it, ios 7 is going to complete change everything up, but right now I'm not too excited for what potential future the OS is going to have or implement. While this is due to the OS already being given very good, I find with android that I am able to get more excited by what Google is doing than I am apple with their OS. Things like Google now are a great example.

2. Spensive. Apple products are generally higher cost than other manufacturers. Wether the added hardware quality make up that early travel cost is up to opinion, but it's a fact that I phones off contract and I pads are more expensive than their respective Android counterparts. Same goes for macs and other apple products.

3. Lack of customization. I like being able to use widgets, customize my home screen, and use different keyboards and things to make the phone my own on Android. With ios, the most customization I can do is change my wallpaper. Not sure what ios 7 might have to help with this.

4. Going further down the rabbit hole. While I think apple products are (for the most part) very good and even great, there might come a time where I'm not ONLY going to want to buy apple products, then I'm going to be screwed with the purchased content like movies, TV shows, books, and etc. That are only going to work on Apple hardware or my PC. The more I buy from Apple, the tighter those binds potentially get.

I'm gonna have to weigh each ones pros and cons to make my decision. But would like to hear your take as well on what I wrote.

Default Re: Some thoughts on android and IOS.

I think that's a fair analysis. Without digging into everything, I'll point out a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    1. Seems not as stable as ios. I seem to get more app crashes and freezes on Android.
    This isn't really true. This is one of my favorite links, even though it's a bit old now:Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive - Forbes
    Android just tells you when apps crash (you get the Force Close or "has stopped responding" message so you can report it to the developer, where iOS just crashes out to the screen). This gives the appearance of iOS being more stable, but in reality, it's really no

2. Have to power manage my apps to reduce battery usage. Because apps can do push notifications and different things that they can't do on ios, they seem to such battery a lot more. I like apples battery management.
    You really shouldn't have to do this. If you're using a task killer or something, stop. However, there are some cases where things will eat up the battery, because remember, Android does true multitasking, unlike iOS. A good demonstration of this is open up a browser on an Android Device and an iOS device. Start loading a web page, then immediately exit out to the home screen on both. Wait 20 seconds (or so) and go back to the browser. It will have loaded on the Android device, and the iOS device would have stopped, so now you're waiting for the tab to load again (i.e. you have to have the browser open for it to actually be doing anything). Just one example, but an explanation. Also, depending on your phone, Android does tend to have a bigger screen than an iPhone, and that will eat up more battery as well. Of course, all that being said, since Apple controls the hardware and software, the phone can better be optimized.

3. Lack of immediate tech support for repairs or analysis of problem (would have to ship online). Apples stores pretty great and there tech support is among the best. Not so sure about Google or HTC/SAMSUNG/SONY/LG or whoever makes the Android device you are having issues with.
    Agree. That's why AC exists

4. More personal anxiety with accidently messing up the phone by accidently digging into the wrong thing or the fact it's so open. Look, I have issues with an item, and while I like androids openness, I think so much openness causes me more anxiety if I dig around in it. Might be rational, might not be, just saying.
    You really have to work to mess up your phone to a point where it can't be recovered, but yeah, I suppose you could have some anxiety there.

1. very stable. Works as I expect, when I want expect it to, with little crashing or force closes.
    See my link above.

3. Mainly only implements proven things and refines them as best they can. I may need to explain, but pretty much I like how apple goes the exact opposite route of someone like a Samsung where Samsung will literally throw anything at the wall and see what sticks. Apple, while they often take longer than I and others would like, waits and sees what's worth it and then refines it.
    I see and understand your point here. I personally like features, but I get that some people find them gimmicky. What irks me about iOS is they wait and then they add features Android has had for years, like they still don't have NFC, and the last 3 iOS releases have seemed to be about 80-90% of them adding in Android features (pull down notifications, etc). And they advertise a panaroma mode on the camera like it's the first phone to have it? Bah. Yeah, they wait and when they finally put the feature on the phone, all/most of the bugs are ironed out, but you're stuck waiting years for it when you could have been using it on an Android phone.

6. OS updates. When a new version of Android hits, you have to not only wait until your phones manufacturer implements it with their special skin, but you have to wait (sometimes in vain) for your carrier to push it out on their network for your phone. Apples able to get around all that.
    I think people get too obsessed about OS versions. Yeah, most devices run the newest version of iOS but it's not like all the features work (no Siri on my iPad 2 for instance, even though I'm on the latest version). And you really should be looking at what the OS actually offers. I personally would still take Gingerbread (2 versions of Android ago) over the latest version of iOS simply because of the intents system and other things Gingerbread offers that iOS still won't have in iOS7.

1. It's getting rather boring. Grant it, ios 7 is going to complete change everything up, but right now I'm not too excited for what potential future the OS is going to have or implement. While this is due to the OS already being given very good, I find with android that I am able to get more excited by what Google is doing than I am apple with their OS. Things like Google now are a great example.
    I'm moderately curious to get my hands on iOS7, but from what I've been seeing/reading, it's about 90% just a design change. Still going to be mostly the same rigid iOS it's always been with a new skin.

4. Going further down the rabbit hole. While I think apple products are (for the most part) very good and even great, there might come a time where I'm not ONLY going to want to buy apple products, then I'm going to be screwed with the purchased content like movies, TV shows, books, and etc. That are only going to work on Apple hardware or my PC. The more I buy from Apple, the tighter those binds potentially get.
    This is something good to keep in mind. You (and IMO everyone) should really be keeping this in mind. Why buy a book from iBooks when you can get the same experience by buying from Kindle or the Play Store? Those work on every device....iOS, Android, PC, etc (yes, even though the Play Store is Google, you can still use the purchases on your iOS devices). If you buy a book from iBooks or a movie from iTunes, you can't (Legally) view them on any device except Apple. Thankfully they did remove the DRM from music though, but I don't understand why anyone would buy an Apple-only media like a movie or book that can't be used regardless of which device you'll own 1, 3, 5, 10 years from now...

Anyways, those are all good thoughts and I can tell you put some effort into it. I try not to rip on Apple too much, but there's a lot of misinformation or assumptions about Android out there (like apps crashing more for example) so I like to help where I can.

I actually believe a lot of Android negativity comes from the cheap phones....people go get one of the free or cheap Android phones, then blame the OS when it doesn't function as well as an iPhone. If they'd be buying a comparable mid-range/top of the line phone, I think some of their complaints wouldn't exist. I know it's shocking their Android phone that came free in their box of cereal isn't as good as an iPhone

This is probably the most sensible review of the two systems I've read, non fanboy-ish. I disagree with the app crashes, my iPad mini has an app that crashes at least once a week and I haven't really seen any crashed on my nexus 4, even after the 4.3 update.

Posted via Android central app on my LG Google Nexus 4
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jlav78 View Post
    This is probably the most sensible review of the two systems I've read, non fanboy-ish. I disagree with the app crashes, my iPad mini has an app that crashes at least once a week and I haven't really seen any crashed on my nexus 4, even after the 4.3 update.

Posted via Android central app on my LG Google Nexus 4
    I agree with you on the app crashes. iPhone hides it well, but it still happens. I use an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4 side-by-side, and the iPhone definitely has more app crashes than the Nexus 4. Android has gotten to the point where it's at least equal to iOS in speed & stability, at least on a Nexus device.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

I think many of the complaints about useability and crashing come from Gingerbread and Froyo. IMO, iOS was significantly better than Android at that time in several areas. However, JB (I don't have any experience with Honeycomb or ICS) has solved pretty much all of those issues.

I do agree with most of the OP's points, especially app quality, OS upgrades, support, and only implementing proven features, but some of them also come with downsides. In exchange for OS upgrades and only implementing proven features, we get a much wider variety of hardware and features. If I don't like how Apple implements a feature there's a good chance there's little that can be done about it. If I don't like an Android feature I can find a new app or replace that feature myself (and I don't root or install custom ROMs). I can't get a bigger screen, a different camera, more storage, an IR blaster or NFC on iOS if I want. I can hope that Apple implements it this year but that's the best I can do. It's one of the reasons their iPhone unveilings are so popular, everyone is waiting to see if they finally implemented the feature they want.

The battery life thing is a bit different. In the most recent versions of Android and Google they've added a lot of background features that run at idle time. You can turn them off and get iPhone like battery life and functionality (I have a Galaxy S4 and my wife has an iPhone 5 so it's easy for me to compare those two), or you can turn them on and get those extra features. Granted, you also have that option with the iPhone now that Google Now is on it as well, but it seems as if fewer people do that.

I'll also point out the "rabbit hole" goes both ways as well. Yeah, you're stuck with what they allow you to have, but that allows them to integrate their different services at a level most users won't see with Android. However, if you're willing to put the work in (or play in, depending on how you look at it) you can get a level of customization and integration with Android that's unparalleled in the Apple world.

Which is my next point, and one of the main reasons I won't consider an iOS device: Tasker. Most know that you can customize the look and feel of an Android phone way more than an iOS phone. Not many know that with Tasker you can customize the functionality of not only your phone, but how your phone communicates with other devices as well. You don't always have to wait for an app to come out that works the exact way you want, many times you can just do it yourself.
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

IMO this is a must read
    http://m.pocketnow.com/2013/03/27/ios-7-compete-android

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

2. Less expensive tablet hardware. The nexus 7 is only 229 dollars. An equivalent Ipad mini is 100 dollars more expensive.
    If an iPad mini that is comparable to the Nexus 7.2 had existed, I would not have minded to pay $100 extra for it, just for the convenience of not having to get used to a new OS and finding the apps I want/need. But the currently available mini has a resolution of 1024x768 (163dpi) which doesn't at all compare to the Nexus' 1920x1200 (331dpi), which puts it in an entirely different league (especially if what you do on the device is text-centric). At least right now, with Android devices you pay less for significantly more.

I like iOS devices, but at the end of the day I prefer the flexibility and the wider selection of devices instead of being limited to the models that Apple offers.

i need help my android os 4.0 kernel 3.0.8 build number V1.3.0 is stuck can any one help