Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Kenyon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android camera woes

Does anybody know a more reasonable camera app for Android?
    I'm a professional photographer and I use my Razr to take pictures sometimes, but it drives me crazy!
    I have to remember to turn off the flash, since it doesn't remember the setting.
    I have to click the screen to take a picture which is an awkward motion especially with one hand, and it causes the camera to move, often blurring the picture.
    When I click the button, it often goes into what I call "Wait For Stupid Focus" mode, where it hunts back and forth and never really stops at the right place.
    2-4 seconds later when it takes the picture, the subject is gone.
    The pictures quality is excellent, if you can ever get it to quit screwing around and take the picture!

A friend recently showed me his new iphone.
    Straight out of his pocket he can swipe the screen and get the camera app immediately, click off a perfect picture without any WFSF mode.
    I've looked at a boatload of camera apps for Android and they seem to all be obsessed with post-processing, which I'm not interested in.
    I just want to be able to take a picture quickly and immediately without all the BS.
    Does anybody know of a camera app that behaves like a... camera?

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: Android camera woes

Google for and install the Android Stock camera. It was the one leaked with 4.3. Just enable unknown sources, download on your phone and install the APK.

Last edited by Scott Kenyon; 08-30-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: found url
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kenyon View Post
    Google for and install the Android Stock camera. It was the one leaked with 4.3. Just enable unknown sources, download on your phone and install the APK.

Thanks for the link. I've been wondering...if I download this to my S4, does it replace the stock camera app or just add the 4.3 camera as a separate app?

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyHouse View Post
    Thanks for the link. I've been wondering...if I download this to my S4, does it replace the stock camera app or just add the 4.3 camera as a separate app?
    It runs as a seperate app. You'll still have the Touchwiz camera.
    KentuckyHouse likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the link!
    Much better camera app, thats for sure!
    But I have to unlock my phone (I have a password on it),
    select Gallery, select camera before I can take a picture.
    The iphone takes 2 thumb-swipes to take a picture (you don't even have to unlock your phone).
    It sure would be nice to at least have a "camera" app to get you straight to the camera!

Sad you have to go through all those steps to launch a camera. I can launch the camera on my S3 from the lockscreen.I can also launch it by turning the screen facedown and shaking it.
    Search the play store, you shall surely find an app to alleviate your worry.

Via Android
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yes, the new one will at least take a picture WHEN you tell it to, not hunt focus around for 3-4 seconds before it takes.
    BUT it insists on making that shutter sound which I can NOT find a way to turn off!
    At least the touchwiz will let me turn the sound off.
    I take a lot of candid shots and I don't like reminding people I am taking their picture by that stupid noise.
    Anybody know how to turn it off in the 4.3 camera?