Best school tablet?

atomic_squid

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this isn't the right place. I'm looking to use a full size tablet to replace a lot of the inevitable books I would need for high school. What tablets would be the most functional in that regard? I was thinking a stylus might be worthwhile as well. Suggestions?

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Most functional to least would probably be a Windows (not RT) tablet, then iPad then Note 10.1 for typical school usage... although with Google Play's new textbook rental, the last might have advantages and then it has they stylus you asked about. Following those three I'd say one of the Asus Transformer series is also pretty great for productivity mixed with style.

The reasoning for my rank order is because of the likelihood of apps and/or specific file formats that you need to access being specifically supported by the device. Windows (full version, not RT) is going to have the highest flexibility on supported software, while many educational centric mobile apps are still iOS only (though, that is rapidly changing).

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Kno is one of those apps that was iOS only for a long time, but now includes the Note 10.1. I also would say the Surface would be the best choice, although it's also the most expensive. I would have to respectfully disagree that the iPad is more functional for school. I get what you're saying about the apps and formats and such but I use the Note 10.1 for school and every single thing i've needed to do, there's been an easy way to do it. I might have to do a Google search or something, but I find the answer quickly and it works. Also like you said, most app developers are starting to see the value in Google and beginning to incorporate them into their future (and some, current) plans.

If you have substantial note taking, the Note is amazing for this. The multitasking and split screen is actually very useful as well being on a larger screen. Again though, i'd wait and see what the next iteration of the Note brings. I could see the iPad being a better choice if it wasn't for the S pen. That makes it a whole new ballgame when it comes to school.

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have been using a chromebook for school and it is working perfectly.

I don't think it would have digital textbook functionality though. I guess it depends on who you use.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Try the HD/HD+ or Fire HD/HD 8.9. Access to books and apps on both. I think that is very helpful for school. You can get your textbooks on there, and you can some casual, to light gaming.

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I would agree with LegalAmerican with the Note. All of Samsung's note products contain a wacom pen that attach to the device for easy storage and retrieval. The pen is very accurate responsive and adds a few additional functionality that is not available if you go with a capacitive pen.

Personally for note taking a day reading I would prefer a Note 8 but the 10.1 model is nice.

I read a lot and use to carry a phone and 7" tablet. I finally went with a note 2 and couldn't be happier. It has completely replaced my tablet.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Don't kid yourself. If you're using this for school, just get a $250 laptop which can do 1000x more than what a tablet can do, functionality and performance wise.

Even a lowly Celeron will blow away a Snapdragon 800.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech