1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Unhappy Layoffs at HTC America

The Verge reported late last night that yesterday evening. I know layoffs are inevitable at struggling companies, but it's still sad news. I haven't bought an HTC phone for several years, but I still have very fond memories of my first smartphone: the HTC EVO. If I didn't have a Nexus now, I probably would have picked up the One. I really don't want to see them disappear, hopefully this is just a bump in the road toward reorganization.

Edit: AC's post on the matter.
    Last edited by Citizen Coyote; 09-14-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    _X_

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

Default Re: Layoffs at HTC America

Layoffs are always sad news it's never good when a company laysoff it's workforce. The company doesn't suffer as much as the workforce.

Anyhow I too remember my first HTC phone it was the first Android phone I purchased. Bought it for my wife and I liked it so much I switched over to Android.

Posted via Android Central App

HTC is a classic story of how a company can never ever rest on its laurels. They were the #1 leading provider of smartphones in 2010/2011, and now they are laying off people, huge executive brain drain, tanking stock prices, and God knows what else. Sad thing is they still do build really amazing hardware, but their SW is crap, and they don't know how to/or don't have enough to spend on, marketing.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

I think it was backwards marketing more than anything. Personally I think they make superior phones to Samsung, but Samsung's marketing budget is far healthier so Galaxy is the name many associate with Android.
    _X_

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

That's easy to say now but back in 2011 everyone associated HTC with Android. Remember how shocked everyone was when Google announced their next nexus would be made by Samsung.

HTC made some huge blunders and their mistake was in their credibility (remember carrier IQ) and lack of focus. They did not build a brand they built many mediocre phones. In the meanwhile Samsung was focusing all their energy on the galaxy line.

If money was all it took Apple and Microsoft would have stayed on top. Saying it's just big marketing that's behind Samsung's success is really downplaying the great business strategy and product Samsung.

Posted via Android Central App

This is one of the reasons I'm hesitant buying a HTC one and investing that they'll still be around to support it. Why would I go with a company that doesn't have the possibility of not being around thus time next year? Problem is I don't really like the s4s software.

My guess is HTC will be sold to Lenovo in the next 9-12 months.