Fast/responsive phones

ChuckChurch

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm hoping to not start a holy war here, but I'm looking for some feedback on what people would consider to be a fast responsive phone. I understand all about multi-processing, cores, RAM, and such specs. I'm ready for my Verizon upgrade, and really don't know where to lean. S4 looks good specs-wise, but with all the features it has (eye sensors, NFC, hand gestures, etc), I'm wondering if those all bog it down to other 'lesser' phone's stats. The one thing I absolutely hate is hitting an app button (be it facebook, firefox, corporate email, google maps, etc), and the phone sits around 4 to 10 seconds before doing something. My current Droid Bionic does this (yes, it's got latest Verizon firmware on it). Not really sure if it's CPU issue, network latency, or what. Do apps like Lookout really slow things down (better alternative)? I'm not app-crazy (maybe have a dozen things on it that didn't come with the phone), so I don't think that's the issue. I guess I'm just not patient...

Here is kind of what I'm looking for:
Camera - not used often, 8 megapixel probably fine. As long as I can open camera app, and it's ready to take a picture a second later. Or less...
Screen - I rarely play games. Occasionally watch video - Youtube or web page embedded. 4.7 to 5 inch with nice resolution is fine. The more impact/scratch resistant, the better.
Network - 4G, with 802.11N support, would like to stay on Verizon.

Thanks,
Chuck

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a S4 on Verizon and while I believe the lag issues have been solved (at least with Nova), the camera does take on the long side to open up. FWIW, the "lag" on the S4 was animation studdering/choppyness, not issues with it taking a long time to open stuff up. I have just over 100 apps listed in the Play store and apps open pretty much right away after I hit the icon.

IMO, unless storage is important, the Moto X or one of the other new Motorola phones might be better for you than the S4. The camera isn't quite as good, but probably opens faster, the performance is just as good or better for everything you mentioned, the battery life is better and the extra features seem more useful.

ChuckChurch

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Unfortunately since the Moto X doesn't have removable memory, I'd need the 32 gig model. And that doesn't seem to be available on Verizon yet. Maybe soon?