Was anyone else aware of the new BlackBerry?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's really unfortunate. I'm sure the hardware is fantastic, and I'm guessing that BB10 is pretty good, but it's just way too little way too late. It's just not a good sign when Windows Phone is passing you in market share.

ehcanuck

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually using the Z10. It's funny I see this post the first time I come onto these forums, way at the top of your browser you'll see the link for the Blackberry page that is run by Mobile Nations. It's called Crackberry... anyway, it's a terrible story for Blackberry. Hardware is great, software is also good but it did take some time to get used to. Apps? Lot's of popular apps are not available and there are no plans of them coming our way. Netflix, Instagram, Snapchat, and lots of games. I myself will most likely be switching to the new Nexus when it is released. I was a long time Blackberry user then made the switch to the Galaxy Nexus couple years back, then to the Z10 now most likely back to Nexus for good. I do miss Google alot...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed that for a long long time, the top banner ad on Android Central always seemed to be for the Z10. You'd think it would be all Android all the time! But we try to be open-minded.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
What exactly screwed them over? Did they just fall behind or what? In terms of phone quality they've certainly caught up with everyone else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it was their stubborn conviction that they didn't have to innovate--that people loved their Blackberries, so they just kept making them the same. Meanwhile, Apple and Google made everyone else realize that a keyboard maybe isn't all that necessary. By the time they realized this, it was already too late. Then there was the whole Playbook debacle. From what I've read, RIM (now Blackberry) was historically a very conservative company in a business sense, and never really tried to take risks.

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I think it was their stubborn conviction that they didn't have to innovate--that people loved their Blackberries, so they just kept making them the same. Meanwhile, Apple and Google made everyone else realize that a keyboard maybe isn't all that necessary. By the time they realized this, it was already too late. Then there was the whole Playbook debacle. From what I've read, RIM (now Blackberry) was historically a very conservative company in a business sense, and never really tried to take risks.
I completely agree. Also, they certainly have caught up with everyone in the industry with the new series, especially the latest Z30. But by now people and devs are too attached to Androids and iPhones. BlackBerry is a company of lost opportunities. Had they done something like BlackBerry 10 when Android was coming out, when BlackBerry was already hugely popular; they would have been a leader in mobile technology.