Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gdmin
  • 1 Post By kenorian
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Greetings, how is using an android after moving from BB OS7?

Hello, my last (and only) smartphone was a blackberry bold. I am planning to get an android soon, please can someone tell me what the experience is like of coming from a Blackberry to an Android? I do a lot of typing for things like emails, IMing, and lengthy forum posts. Am I going to be able to transition these tasks to android touch screens easily? I've been using a Galaxy Ace recently and I would much rather be on my blackberry, but I assume a high-end modern android with a larger screen will give me a lot of advantages.
    Banned from:

Crackberry

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Greetings, how is using an android after moving from BB OS7?

The experience is likely to feel very liberating, like I've said before, it's like waking up from The Matrix. If you are really married to a physical keyboard there are some Android models for you but I think the very best Android experiences lay past those.
    Live long and prosper.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

What's better on android? To be honest I loved my 9790, not just the keyboard but the OS as well, and have generally been hating the galaxy ace. What's better about the high end models of today and the new OSes though?
    Banned from:

Crackberry

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

It's not brain surgery. It should be an easy transition for anyone willing. I've been a Bold user for years and also an Android and iPhone user for years and I can tell you that it's a very personal experience and what others may say is horrible, you may find wonderful. After saying that......... I can also tell you that there is nothing in the Android world that will feel better than your BB keyboard. It all depends on how you use your phone but if you are wanting to use it for things like watching videos or movies, taking photographs that actually look good, accessing many different apps and just having an all around larger screen, you should be happy with Android. But if you are expecting it to be as productive and "simple" as your BB, you might find the transition a challenge. Not an impossible challenge but a noticeable one. Android has a lot more customization options than any BB system and although that may seem like a positive, it sometimes can be overwhelming. Once you figure out what you like and need and what is useless, you will wonder why there are so many useless things on your phone. Unless you are into specs and gimmicky tech, the newer Android systems don't offer much compared to the older systems. They are quicker, larger, more vibrant colors on the screens and of course that whole "more options" thing. I like to try new systems and the only way you can really get a feel for it is by diving in. Try it at a store to get an initial feel.

I hate the galaxy ace too.. don't compare that to s4 or other smooth high end android. That galaxy ace only 3.5" its also kinda buggy when you install too many application.

I recommend you to buy at least 5" android phone its so much easier to type on it, now I even feel 4" screen is hard for typing.

Also buy a phone with at least dual core and 1GB ram + 2000mAh battery.

Sent via Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    chirag05 likes this.

My first smartphone was BlackBerry Curve 9360 which came with BB OS7. Since I jumped from the normal phone to smartphone it was a stride for me and I liked to use what is smartphone. But when I used to see those using Android and Apple phones I envied them. They had so much freedom and so many good apps that the BB platform didn't offer and could have neevr offered because it was cheap, featureless, little app store, half touch and many flaws that I can't count in here. I bought Samsung galaxy S3 in May this year and I feel Powerful, satisfied, and happy to invest in this handset. If I would have jumped to BB10 series I would have definitely DOOMED myself. IMO BlackBerry phoned are liability.

Sent from my GSIII

I love my S3! Hated the stock Samsung keyboard though. Used the SwiftKey keyboard for a while but the Google keyboard is my daily driver now.

Sent using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and Tapatalk 4

I'm usually on Twitter @Ichi_Bear ;-)

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts

As you can see from my sig, I was a Blackberry fanboy for many, many years. Liked my Bold a lot, defended it so long people were stunned when I moved to Android.

After a couple days of playing with it, I never looked back. There is soooo much more you can do with it, it's like going from a black and white tube TV to a hi def large flat screen. As was mentioned earlier, the keyboard took a bit of getting used to. But, honestly, with SwiftKey I believe I can type faster and better than I was able to on my bold.

I also missed the flexibility of audio settings and LED settings that Blackberry excelled at. Got Volume Control+ Pro and Light Flow (make sure you get a phone that is supported by it) and and very happy.
    Treo 650 => Treo 700P => BB Curve 8330 => VZW BB Bold 9650 => VZW BB Bold 9930 => Droid RAZR MAXX HD
    chirag05 likes this.

I have a soft spot for the Q10. A smartphone with the Note 3's features and the Q10 keyboard would be my ideal smartphone. I'm in no hurry to upgrade though. Love my S3. Would be even sweeter with the new Android 4.2.2 or 4.3 update :-)

Sent using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and Tapatalk 4

I'm usually on Twitter @Ichi_Bear ;-)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I am using android 2.3 on the ace and I don't understand what is so great about it, can someone explain. I'm probably getting a HTC One but I want to actually be convinced I'm buying the right phone. I tried it out and its nice, but I dont know what I am meant to be looking for that makes the OS so great? While OS7 was heavily limited apps-wise, the OS overall was really cool and nice to use for communication. It was my first ever smartphone, but still.
    Banned from:

Crackberry

I think you underestimate Android because your main experience with Android was a Galaxy Ace running 2.3
    I've used a BlackBerry for a long time and I must say, I miss it a lot. But I have a Nexus 4 right now and I love it too : )

Yeah android past 2.3 is way behind compared to ics or jb.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

One of the big reason I wouldn't move to iOS is the SwiftKey. This is the most loved app I believe. I can type so fast with SwiftKey that I never bother what I'm typing because I know even if I make errors the SwiftKey will take care of it.

Sent from my GSIII

Yeah I use either swiftkey or the new Google keyboard.

Sent from my LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

Quote Originally Posted by gdmin View Post
    I hate the galaxy ace too.. don't compare that to s4 or other smooth high end android. That galaxy ace only 3.5" its also kinda buggy when you install too many application.

I recommend you to buy at least 5" android phone its so much easier to type on it, now I even feel 4" screen is hard for typing.

Also buy a phone with at least dual core and 1GB ram + 2000mAh battery.

Sent via Tapatalk 2
    Get the note 3,you will never be dissapointed.

Posted via Android Central App