Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android phone recommendations

Hello all,

I am fairly new here so my apologies in advance if this thread causes some scrunched faces.

I have always been and Android fan and have been apart of it since Cupcake to Jelly Bean, but early this year I had the desire to to iOS. I went iOS hard, no more Android tablet, got rid of my Windows laptop, and sold my Galaxy Nexus. Well about a week ago, I came back to Android and I'm so glad I did. I forgot all about how amazing the platform was. However my return wasn't exactly the smoothest. The T-Mobile version of the LG G2 has been quite problematic for me. I went through three phones before deciding to give up on the LG G2 which sucks because I loved the phone (for the most part). I had major plans to root and stuff as the development community grew.

Here's the video of my problem

Anyway I'm currently using the old MyTouch 3G from 2009 running a modded version of Cyanogenmod and I have to say it's a bit painful, but at the same time I feel warm and cozy. Nostalgia at it's best if you ask me lol. I'm wanting to get a new phone and my budget is around $650, do you guys have a phone you can recommend?

My priorities are in no particular order;

• T-Mobile LTE (1900 & AWS) Compatible
    • Smooth stutter free scrolling
    • Great display
    • Decent Processing
    • Decent Camera
    • Probability of Software updates without Root
    • Web Browsing smoothness

Here's my list of phone candidates without order.

• Galaxy S4 (GPE)
    • HTC One (T-Mobile Edition)
    • Moto X (Developer or T-Mobile Edition)
    • Nexus 5
    • Nexus 4

Each have their pros and cons I'm sure, but of the needs listed what phone would you recommend? Of course if you'd like me to explore another device I will. I will say this though, the Nexus 5 worries me. Not because I'm concerned about defects, but I'm using a MyTouch 3G, if the launch is anything like it was for the Nexus 4, then if I miss a launch unit, I could very well be waiting until 2014 before I get my hands on one and that's just no fun!

I know the Nexus 5 isn't even announced yet and it's all speculation at this point (well depending on how much you believe the un/confirmed rumors) so it's hard to say with that phone.

Anyway please give me advice, I'm all ears. I know the decision is ultimately mine, so I'm keeping my mind open to suggestions.

Thanks again

~ Vahdyx

Last edited by vahdyx; 10-11-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Default Re: Android phone recommendations

I am a big fan of LG phones. One of the few, I guess, but I see where the screen in the video does look like it very ... inaccurate.. ?
    I know it may be old news now since its a few months old, but I really loved the S4 despite the lag that popped up here and there.

I may have went back to iOS/iPhone since I own and mac and like the ecosystem better, but I still can't get the S4 out of my head.
    There is something about the S4 I just can't shake.
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5S, iPhone 6+, LG G2, LG Optimus G Pro, S3, S4, Note 3, Moto X, Nokia 520, Nokia 1520 (8.1)..
    Currently using 2014 MOTO X

I think if I was in your situation I could just put em all in a hat and whichever I pick out I'd be happy with lol. But I would definitely hold out for the nexus 5. I have the HTC One (awesome) but the nexus 4 still seems to intrigue me.

Had the exact same list for my wife who had little interest in my Note 2. Almost pulled the trigger on the HTC One...Best Buy had on contract sale for $50.

Had it in my hand and all I could see was the beautiful aluminum shell all dinged up in a month.

Went for the S4...32gb...SD card...removeable battery...killer screen....great camera...maybe a few dollars over your budget, but totally worth it.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using AC Forums mobile app
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

My fiancee has a Galaxy S4 from T-Mobile and I do like the phone, I'd get the GPE version though. Hmmm.....
    Your neighborhood tech enthusiast

I have and love the HTC One. No complaints about it. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Waiting for the Nexus 5 wouldn't be a bad option either if you can deal with the MyTouch 3G (which I also used to have) for an unspecified amount of time. Finally, although I have never tried the Moto X, everyone has tons of positive things to say about it, I would like to try one, and I think it would be a fairly safe bet. The GS4 GPE is probably a great phone, 90% of my complaints about the S4 are solved by putting stock Android on it, but the One has nicer hardware once you through stock Android on both. Lastly, although it is a great phone, the Nexus 4 is a year old and lacks LTE. I'd skip it only because the Nexus 5 will be out soonish (within 2 months I'd guess) and I think if you buy a Nexus 4 now, you will really regret it once the Nexus 5 comes out.

Based on what your list of wants are, go with the HTC One.
    It fits the bill. Sharpest screen on the market, great camera with highlight videos, update probability, good battery, smooth UI, I could go on.
    S4 lots of complaints about lag (not sure about GPE)
    Nexus 5 should be a G2 with LG skin removed

Go try some out and pick one.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Awesome thanks for the tips guys! I ordered an S4 GE today since it has a 15 day return policy. Moto X also said they offer a 14 day return policy, however the specs still get to me. I know it's been proven that specs don't matter as much now, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it yet. I guess I'm in the "see it to believe it" category.

So I devised a plan, when I get the S4 GE, I plan on going to AT&T and comparing it with the HTC One, Moto X, and what ever else is there worth looking at.

This way I can hopefully take everyone's advice and put it to practice. Hopefully I don't pestered too much by the employees.

Once again guys thanks!
    _X_

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Well if you're coming from a LG G2 I would strongly recommend the Note 3.

The Note2 is a great phone yet everyone is saying the Note3 is a big update.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well I decided to "jump" the LG G2 while Google takes their time on shipping my S4 GE and it appears the G2 I got is problem free. Sooooo..... I may return the S4 GE.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    8,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

The S4 is a great device, hopefully you like it. Let us know how it holds up to the other devices you have your eye on.

By the way, welcome back!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using AC Forums mobile app
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post
    My priorities are in no particular order;

• T-Mobile LTE (1900 & AWS) Compatible
    • Smooth stutter free scrolling
    • Great display
    • Decent Processing
    • Decent Camera
    • Probability of Software updates without Root
    • Web Browsing smoothness

Here's my list of phone candidates without order.

• Galaxy S4 (GPE)
    • HTC One (T-Mobile Edition)
    • Moto X (Developer or T-Mobile Edition)
    • Nexus 5
    • Nexus 4

As of today, there is not enough officially known about the Nexus 5 for me to recommend it.

Nexus 4 is out because of your LTE requirement.

Based on what you've posted, I'd say the Moto X probably is the best fit.

Posted via Android Central App
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

If your G2 is working good this time, hold on to it. Unless if you end up liking the S4 GPE better...

I didn't want to start another thread with this being on the top right now. I'm gonna be switching from Verizon to T-mobile at the end of November. I've been out of the phone market for awhile, so I'm wondering what suggestions would be for a good phone around that time. Other than the Nexus 5, are there any top of the line phones coming out in the next few months? I love the idea of the nexus phone without the bloatware and stuff, but I'm a little weary with it sounding like it's just a rehash of a phone that is already out, but with a worse camera.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Erebuss View Post
    I didn't want to start another thread with this being on the top right now. I'm gonna be switching from Verizon to T-mobile at the end of November. I've been out of the phone market for awhile, so I'm wondering what suggestions would be for a good phone around that time. Other than the Nexus 5, are there any top of the line phones coming out in the next few months? I love the idea of the nexus phone without the bloatware and stuff, but I'm a little weary with it sounding like it's just a rehash of a phone that is already out, but with a worse camera.
    I think a working LG G2 is an awesome phone! Its basically the kick *** hardware version of the Nexus 5. Software isn't nearly as good looking, but it allows you to disable most bloatware which is nice.

Other than that any phone that's up on that list of mine should be good. I got the chance to play with a Moto X and it was indeed a lot better than I thought. The only thing I didn't like on the phone was the screen. Sure it looked good but it wasn't as good as the G2s.

I honestly think it's the "Android phone for the masses" budget folks or spec whores not so much .

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by Erebuss View Post
    That is pretty much how they make a Nexus phone, if you don't like that idea, you'll never like a Nexus. The formula is as follows: Take great phone. Tweak physical design. Put in cheaper camera module (not to knock them, they have to save money somewhere to offer them affordable). Put on stock Android. Make Money.

If the LG G2 is a good phone, I won't mind the rehash, but I've heard a lot of people having problems with theirs. Not sure if that is due to software or hardware, I'll need to read more than just surface complaints to see. I was mostly just wondering what new phones are planned for the next few months, and if the Nexus 5 would still be the best option.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Well I don't know what to do, the new LG G2 that I thought was working ended up having issues again. I used my girlfriends Samsung Galaxy S4 for a couple days to see if perhaps it was something I'm doing but it wasn't. She used my phone and didn't notice the issue until today. Which is why I posted the new videos up there.

So it's definitely the phone.

So basically I don't know what I should do. I can't go without a phone for weeks because based on the rumors it seems like the Nexus 5 will come out the end of the month, but be announced the 15th.

Soooo.....

I may have to settle with something else.

Maybe get a cheap phone just to stay connected then junk that and get the nexus 5 when available.

Posted via Android Central App