Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Daddyroid
  • 1 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Using My Phone to Try Different Carriers

My two year commitment is now over, so I own my smartphone and am free to do with it as I please. Currently I have Verizon.

I have this experiment I would like to try, and I would like to ask the community's opinion if this a good idea:

I'll bring my phone to, say, T-Mobile and buy one of their pre-paid plans. In effect, this gives me 30 days to try out T-Mo to see how I like it. Most important is to find out if I get a good signal in all the places I normally use my phone. Then, the month after that I'll do the same with AT&T. Maybe the next month I'll try some other carrier. Basically, I'm using my phone to 'audition' different carriers, then I'll decide who I like best. It's the wireless version of The Pepsi Challenge.

Of course, I have to first determine whether my phone will even work on a different carrier's network. But that aside, is this a good way to test different carriers?

Global Posts
    4,509 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Default Re: Using My Phone to Try Different Carriers

In theory, that's a good idea.

The thing is that you'd have to unlock your phone to be able to work with all carriers. If you currently have VZW, you won't be able to use T-Mobile or AT&T because they require SIM cards and VZW is CDMA
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyroid View Post
    My two year commitment is now over, so I own my smartphone and am free to do with it as I please. Currently I have Verizon.

I have this experiment I would like to try, and I would like to ask the community's opinion if this a good idea:

I'll bring my phone to, say, T-Mobile and buy one of their pre-paid plans. In effect, this gives me 30 days to try out T-Mo to see how I like it. Most important is to find out if I get a good signal in all the places I normally use my phone. Then, the month after that I'll do the same with AT&T. Maybe the next month I'll try some other carrier. Basically, I'm using my phone to 'audition' different carriers, then I'll decide who I like best. It's the wireless version of The Pepsi Challenge.

Of course, I have to first determine whether my phone will even work on a different carrier's network. But that aside, is this a good way to test different carriers?
    This is a tough situation
    First. No your Verizon phone will not connect to T-mobile or AT&T, or any other GSM network. Verizion is a CDMA network.
    I like your idea, You could go get a used cheap smartphone for a (GSM) network and use it for both Tmo and ATT.
    but here is another problem....
    ATT has better LTE coverage that Tmo (for the most part, but not all) and if you dont have a LTE enabled device, youll never know that.
    And any LTE device at the moment will be expensive.
    SO... it sounds like a very expensive route
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

So...in theory, it's a good idea. But practically speaking, it doesn't work. Sounds like some marriages I know.
    VDub2174 likes this.

Get a firefox phone. $80 and you can play on all the GSM networks. But they are 3G phones only.

What phone do you have now?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I have the HTC Droid Incredible 2.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    In theory, that's a good idea.

The thing is that you'd have to unlock your phone to be able to work with all carriers. If you currently have VZW, you won't be able to use T-Mobile or AT&T because they require SIM cards and VZW is CDMA
    CDMA doesn't matter. Some of Verizon 3G phones are "world phones". There may be a hard block on access to US GSM networks though.

With their LTE devices, it's even less of an issue. If I recall correctly, the Verizon versions of the iPhone 5, 5C, and 5S can all be used on AT&T and T-Mobile. Same with some recent Android devices. Android Central has even written about them.

How to use the Verizon Droid DNA on AT&T (or any other GSM network) | Android Central
    Verizon's LG G2 is unlocked for AT&T and T-Mobile HSPA+ | Android Central
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Ryandroid86 likes this.

As stated you would have to have a device capable of doing the experiment. BTW don't let the carrier bully you into thinking you don't own your own device. It is yours the second you walk out of the store
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP